Fleetwood Mac

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
One amazing group from the 70s and 80s .
Good hour long TV biog on freesat on 4th of May.

Lindsey and Stevie met up while still at school and had 10 years together before the breakup.

They are still doing concerts together, but there's still a lot of tension between them.

From what I could Gather Christine McVie has left the band , left America and is now back living in UK .

Stevie Nicks is in her 60s, but wow... that voice is still there and as strong as ever.... Lindsey backing her up so brilliantly on the guitar.

After a brilliant career in the 60s Mick and the group were born again in California and with three great songwriters on board... Christine, Stevie and Lindsey.... how could they fail ?

Comments

• Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fleetwood Mac are, as far as I am concerned, one of those great groups that went crap. Genesis and Roxy Music being two other examples and the reason usually being the loss of a key member - in these cases, Peter Green, Peter Gabriel and Biran Eno respectively. A few bright spots after the change, maybe, but essentially massively inferior to what went before.
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant band! They have an interesting story too as well as incredible music.

I know it's cliche but the Rumours album is one of my all time favourite records. I love Christine's work too and Stevie's solo stuff is excellent, her recent album (in your dreams) is fantastic. She's a brilliant song writer.

Christine apparently left the band because touring got too much for her, she got really bad stage fright towards the end (apparently) and had enough.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    just started getting to get into these. Loving "Big love" at the moment.
  • RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fleetwood Mac's output from 1968-1987 is truly fantastic. I've been listening to a lot of the early to mid 1970s stuff of late and it's a real shame that it seems to have been largely forgotten over the years. "Mystery to Me" is a great album.
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Mick is one tall dude... he must be 6ft. 6 or something !

Seems that he was having a hot affair with Stevie at one point, but then went off with her best friend.
    Relationships got a bit complicated in that group to say the least .
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »

Seems that he was having a hot affair with Stevie at one point, but then went off with her best friend.

The relationship issues are part of the legend and the creative process it would seem.
  • trigpointtrigpoint Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    The relationship issues are part of the legend and the creative process it would seem.
    It was just a bunch of Rumours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    just started getting to get into these. Loving "Big love" at the moment.

Me too ,a friend mentioned them and it occurred to me that Id never knowing heard any of there music.I got straight on spotify was quickly hooked! I think 'gypsy' is my favourite at the moment :)
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Reminds you a bit of Abba ... they had a lot of relationship angst
    in the group...
    Lindsey one great guitarist and performer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdXbiB354us

On the tv doc it looked like Mick and John are living in Hawaii ( or an island nearby )
    "We still love UK.......but its so cold !!!
    They re right, 5th of May today and its brass monkeys out there !

• HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The live version of 'Landslide' that Nicks sung at the end of the doc was spine-tingling.
  • m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Perks wrote: »
    Fleetwood Mac are, as far as I am concerned, one of those great groups that went crap. Genesis and Roxy Music being two other examples and the reason usually being the loss of a key member - in these cases, Peter Green, Peter Gabriel and Biran Eno respectively. A few bright spots after the change, maybe, but essentially massively inferior to what went before.
    If anything, Genesis improved for a while after Peter Gabriel left. Trick Of The Tail, their first album without him and the first with Phil Collins doing lead vocals was better than any album they did with Gabriel. Their live album Seconds Out was also better than any with Gabriel. The music suffered after Steve Hackett quit.

With Roxy Music, everything up to Siren was good, But after that they became a lounge-lizard band in suits and ties and the music became very bland. But the last album Avalon was something of a return to form, even though it was still lounge-lizard music.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Perks wrote: »

well i completely agree.

its the old debate "which fleetwood mac do you like best" , easily the peter green version for me. tracks like 'man of the world' , 'oh well', 'the green manalishi' are imho far superior to the later MOR/AOR material that many liked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is is true that nobody sniffed more coke than the Fleetwood Mac guys/gals?
  • Dead ParrotDead Parrot Posts: 956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d3nium wrote: »
    Is is true that nobody sniffed more coke than the Fleetwood Mac guys/gals?

Apparently Dennis Wilson of The Beach Boys, who dated Christine in the late 70's/early 80's could easily outdo the members of Fleetwood Mac when it came to drug and alcohol cosumption.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »

Correct he went off with Sara Recor one of her best friends .....hence the song Sara
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Alongside Led Zep and the Animals, probably my favourite band of all time.

Something some Fleetwood Mac fans get a bit sniffy about is liking the Buckingham-Nicks era more than the Peter Green era, but for me, Rumours is the greatest album ever written.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,621
    Forum Member
    m06een00 wrote: »
    If anything, Genesis improved for a while after Peter Gabriel left. Trick Of The Tail
    The last album with PG, Selling England ..., was far and away their best ever album. Note that the leads vocals on these older albums were actually double tracked with PG and PC so the later albums with PC only did not sound vocally as much of a jolt as they may otherwise have done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    The last album with PG, Selling England ..., was far and away their best ever album. Note that the leads vocals on these older albums were actually double tracked with PG and PC so the later albums with PC only did not sound vocally as much of a jolt as they may otherwise have done.

Agree for me never the same when Gabriel left although I prefer Lamb Lies Down.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Genesis were better without Gabriel, and he was better without them.

The split was beneficial to both acts.
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genesis were better without Gabriel, and he was better without them.

The split was beneficial to both acts.

But the Genesis ended up being a "housewives favourite" type of band, particularly when Phil Collins started persuing a massively popular solo career whose CDs ended up being in every housewives CD collections!!!:eek::eek:

Give me the Peter Gabriel-era Genesis anyday, plus the fact that Peter was a very charismatic and bizarre band leader with all his costumes and personas!!!:D:D
  • m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Well both PG and PC have not dissimilar voices anyway. Eg on Solsbury Hill, PG sounds remarkably like PC as he does on quite a number of other tracks on his (PG's) first solo album, but not so much in the lower registers (more of a 'growl' character present). Anyway I stand by Trick Of The Tail, not just Genesis's greatest album, but one of the greatest rock albums of all time IMO, and I say that as someone who got very bored generally with rock by the 80s, but I can always come back to TOTT.and still be amazed.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

wow...its not very often you see the animals being given the nod! :)
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    wow...its not very often you see the animals being given the nod! :)

Absolutely love them.

They were quite a bit before my time (I wasn't born til 1992!) but their music has always been a big part of my life. I would class their version of Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood as my favourite song of all time!

I've also had the pleasure of seeing Eric Burdon perform live!
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Something some Fleetwood Mac fans get a bit sniffy about is liking the Buckingham-Nicks era more than the Peter Green era, but for me, Rumours is the greatest album ever written.

I'm with you although I don't think Rumours is THE greatest album ever written, I think it is FM's best. I also think Tango in the Night is underrated.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,621
    Forum Member
    There is no doubt in my mind that history will mainly remember the Buckingham-Nicks FM as a one hit album wonder. But sadly the Peter Green era will hardly be remembered at all.