Mr Selfridge Starts Sunday 9pm ITV1

Comments

• SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Similar characters to Paradise - Agnes / Denise, bitchy shop girls, Miss Audrey / Miss Mardle etc. but enjoyed it very much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    A couple of points with which I have an issue given the date the store opened which was 1909.

Did they have automatically opening and closing doors on the lifts?

Were plate glass display windows of the size seen, available at the time?

Yes to both your above points.

However, it was much more worrying to see Oxford Street totally devoid from the profusion of mixed horse traffic, a clean street, coupled with pathetic looking motorised buses displaying insufficient advertising signs for the time 1908/09. Where were the Bovril, Camp Coffee, Hudson's Soap, Robin Starch, OXO, Venos Lightning Cough Cure and Virol invalid food signs?

As for Mr Selfridge, he's a bit of a Stephens ink splash full of R. White's ginger beer with a massive pop to his cork. Not my cup of Mazawatee tea. I'd guess being some kind of fictional Yank he was brought up "hooked on" Mrs Winslows soothing syrup!

Other than that it was just about OK.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Fab..really enjoyed it and cant wait for next week.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    This is shaping up like the Downton v Upstairs Downstairs debate last year.

I didn't see The Paradise but enjoyed the first episode of Mr Selfridge. I'm glad to see that we are getting another good escapist period drama to cheer up dull wintery Sunday evenings.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Similar characters to Paradise - Agnes / Denise, bitchy shop girls, Miss Audrey / Miss Mardle etc. but enjoyed it very much.
    Just wondering.....which came first development wise.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, didnt think i would after reading some comments on here. I also love The Paradise, and found my self comparing certain things, and characters but i think once it gets going ill forget to do that.

I really like the dancer / show girl, what else has she been in?
  • payasyougopayasyougo Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Is Ep.1 repeated at all anywhere before Sunday? If not it'll be I-Player but you'd think it would get a late night re-run.
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukool wrote: »

Ellen Love?
    I don't know - I know I've seen her in something before but when I looked at her filmography, I hadn't seen anything listed lol :p
  • Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    I'm the complete opposite, I gave up on The Paradise after one episode.....the acting, the characters and the production, all awful imo.

Loving Mr Selfridge, everything so much better, from the acting to the MUCH higher production values, it's as if The paradise was a Corner Shop.

Liking Zoë Tapper 'Ellen Love' too.;)

I wasn't greatly impressed with episode 1 of The Paradise, but I think I was ill or something so, with nothing else to do, I watched ep. 2 and that pulled me in!
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was she called Miss Love or something ?
    She looked just like Keira Knightly to me only prettier and without Knightly's annoying teeth/ forced smile .
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    29bus wrote: »
    Why is Jeremy Piven SHOUTING every line?
    I wish I knew, it was getting annoying.
    Strict wrote: »
    It's a shame it isn't "Selfridges" rather than "Mr Selfridge".
    Perhaps the answer to this may become obvious in later episodes.
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Why does the founder of Selfridges get a series and not the founder of Harrods?
    Al Fayed would probably want a Princess Diana and a Michael Jackson lookalike regularly walking past in key scenes or having a bit part in it as well as other unusual demands! ;)
    jtnorth wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I think it will be a hit and crush Ripper Street in the ratings - having seen one episode of both, I much prefer Ripper in terms of story and acting, but it's too dark and nasty for me on a Sunday night, I'd rather watch it on the player later in the week.
    I'm liking both dramas at the moment, but as possible last thing to watch before the dreary Monday morning, I reckon people will most likely want something like this than blood and guts. However I'll stick with Ripper due to availability of ITV+1 and IPlayer of course.
    k9fan wrote: »
    I did not see the Paradise so could not compare it if I wanted to ;)
    If this thread so far is an indication of how discussions will be like for the rest of the series, and even though I enjoyed The Paradise, this may be a good thing. ;)
  • scragendscragend Posts: 423
    Forum Member

She (Zoe Tapper) played Anya in Survivors.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    I agree with you that Mr. Selfridge is the weakest link of the lot but I think he is meant to be a character to be nervous about.

I liked it overall but he is just like a comedy joke, he goes OTT. He reminds me of Father Christmas on speed.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Just wondering.....which came first development wise.:confused:

The Paradise. It's well documented.
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    29bus wrote: »
    Why is Jeremy Piven SHOUTING every line?

Good question.

Whenever he spoke it was as if we had dropped into an advertising break. :(

Bad enough when the volume soars during the adverts, but during the program, and especially when it is just one character out of so many, makes it particularly annoying.

Good to be able to FF through the interminable adverts, (around 30 minutes in total), but you can't do that with the actual program.
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overall only ok for me. 6/10 for first episode.

Jeremy's shouting every line was very irratating. Wasnt very convinved my Katherine, not likeable either. Didnt like the sped up or slowed down scenes.

Nothing compared to The Paradise im afraid.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    The Paradise. It's well documented.

It's debatable. The BBC 'ommissioned'The Paradise 9 months before ITV commissioned Mr Selfridge but ITV had already been developing the Selfridges show for more than a year and neither side knew what the other were up to. It depends whether you go by 'first thought of doing' or 'signed off the budget and went into production'.

The BBC rushed The Paradise forward to Sept and ITV pushed theirs back to January to avoid a clash and to go out when ratings are higher. This was because the BBC so duffed up the re-launch of Upstairs Downstairs by putting it into committee for literally years. I don't believe that UD would ever have beat DA though in the long run because it just wasn't so good overall and in the end even Eileen Atkins walked off it, she was so fed up of the wrangling over scripts that didn't meet the BBC agenda. You can't imagine Maggie Smith walking off DA as her - and everyone else's - part is so suited to her talents for her to shine.

Personally, I don't think the BBC's role as the state broadcaster funded by the taxpayer should be to set out to bash commercial TV in the ratings. It should try to make programmes in genres that are not catered for elsewhere, are unique, exceptional, British (i.e. not US co-productions that cater mostly not to us but to making money in the USA and elsewhere) and stick to educating, informing and entertaining as Lord Reith stated at the very start. Ironically, Mr Selfridge is more informative than The Paradisebecause it's broadly true while The Paradise is a total reworking in English of an out of copyright French novel. I'm not knocking The Paradise but mostly only the BBC will give us classic British literature in serial form and do it properly and I'd prefer them to do that.

I loved Mr Selfridge, I thought it was a very light and frothy romp and I thought the central performance carried it along. I spend half my life in the USA and Americans really are like that at business, flying by the seat of their pants and BS-ing everyone about the cashflow. I didn't find his performance OTT, I just thought he was what a US entrepreneur would be like versus the British at that time. Nice to see Gregory Fitoussi from Spiral in it too, odd to hear him speaking English too!!!
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's on tonight :D
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Selfridges gone bust?

If still open this is a free advert for the store.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    It's debatable. The BBC 'ommissioned'The Paradise 9 months before ITV commissioned Mr Selfridge but ITV had already been developing the Selfridges show for more than a year and neither side knew what the other were up to. It depends whether you go by 'first thought of doing' or 'signed off the budget and went into production'.

The Paradise had been in development at the BBC before it was commissioned. Writer Bill Gallagher has confirmed this - he pitched it to them. Broadcasters don't just commission undeveloped titles. So not really that debatable ...
    Personally, I don't think the BBC's role as the state broadcaster funded by the taxpayer should be to set out to bash commercial TV in the ratings. It should try to make programmes in genres that are not catered for elsewhere, are unique, exceptional, British (i.e. not US co-productions that cater mostly not to us but to making money in the USA and elsewhere) and stick to educating, informing and entertaining as Lord Reith stated at the very start. Ironically, Mr Selfridge is more informative than The Paradisebecause it's broadly true while The Paradise is a total reworking in English of an out of copyright French novel. I'm not knocking The Paradise but mostly only the BBC will give us classic British literature in serial form and do it properly and I'd prefer them to do that.

Sorry - reality check time. Of course the BBC doesn't need to behave like a commercial broadcaster - but BBC One is a mainstream channel, aimed at mass audiences, and designed to get as many people watching as possible. It's not a minority, niche channel. And the BBC does need to make shows that attract large numbers of viewers. Otherwise its critics will just complain that nobody watches it and therefore 'why are we paying the Licence Fee?' ... :rolleyes: As for co-productions, drama is increasingly expensive and that is why you will find a growing number of them on-screen. I'm sure the BBC would love to be fully funding shows, but it can't afford to. If you don't like that, blame the government. Also, BBC programmes do need to make money being sold overseas - otherwise its income diminishes further, and it can't afford that.

Sure, Mr Selfridge may be informative in part - but it's also dramatised reality, so how 'informative' is it actually? We know that many of the characters we see are Andrew Davies' creations.
    I loved Mr Selfridge, I thought it was a very light and frothy romp and I thought the central performance carried it along. I spend half my life in the USA and Americans really are like that at business, flying by the seat of their pants and BS-ing everyone about the cashflow. I didn't find his performance OTT, I just thought he was what a US entrepreneur would be like versus the British at that time. Nice to see Gregory Fitoussi from Spiral in it too, odd to hear him speaking English too!!!

I too have worked in America and witnessed how US businessmen operate. However, I'd agree with everyone else who has commented on Piven's performance - it is poorly judged and there's no complexity to it: it's either brash and in yer face or him trying to do 'tense' and 'guilty'. It really made me appreciate how good other actors can be. And I'm not sure I want that kind of performance in my living room on a Sunday night ... but each to their own! ;)
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,175
    Forum Member
    I think that Jeremy Piven is just great in the role. I should imagine that Mr Selfridge WAS loud and bombastic, with great self belief. A lot of self made men are loud, just look at Lord Sugar.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Has Selfridges gone bust?

If still open this is a free advert for the store.

it's still open they have a website
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I think that Jeremy Piven is just great in the role. I should imagine that Mr Selfridge WAS loud and bombastic, with great self belief. A lot of self made men are loud, just look at Lord Sugar.;)

I like him too! He's very watchable. I do like this show - it really is the light, fluffy, soapy entertainment that Sunday night needs before going to dreary work the following day.

My only problem with the show is Katherine Kelly. I do like Katherine Kelly, I thought that 90% of the time on Coronation Street - she was one of the best things about it (especially her early days). I thought when she left she had great things ahead for her (and still do) but her accent on Mr Selfridge is so totally, ludicrously comic-book toff - I find it just a bit distracting. I mean I know the show is supposed to be slightly tongue-in-cheek - but she just goes over the top with that silly voice.
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    it's still open they have a website

So had Jessops last week.
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So had Jessops last week.

Selfridges isn't really a typical store though. Its just a load of concession stands from other retailers. It would only go bust if all of the others went bust first.

The one in The Trafford Centre has a small Primark area in it. People do shop there just to get the Selfridges bag :D.