Russell Brand on Margaret Thatcher

12346»

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Yep, and this particular gem from the 1930's apparently, is completely the fault of a man whose father I imagine wasnt even born then.

Completely Brands fault.

I can't follow your point.
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Makes you sound like a right berk then. :p

Pffft, the mans got a lot to answer for, I can tell you, primarily the falling standards of mathematical education in today's primary schools.
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I can't follow your point.

I have a point?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    I thought it was a shallow piece, full of pressing the right buttons and don't question received wisdom. He weeps for Bobby Sands but forgets the London and Birmingham and brighton bobings and the atmosphere of fear tht prevailed. She was magnificent the night they tried to wipe ot the Cabinet in Britain. Also when she busted the Iranian Embassy siege - we were all tired of terrorists - at least she did somehting about them - nowadays we can't even deport them. We pay them benefits and pray they'll be good.That wasn't Mrs T's style.
    There's not a great deal of political detail in the piece, but I think this is deliberate.

It's written by a non-political figure from a personal perspective, and is about how it felt to be a child in the Thatcher era. I actual like the fact that it is cerebral in its description and depiction of how it felt, and the personal and societal legacy of Thatcher, but not cerebral politically.

What results is a fascinating, accessible page-turner that pretty much anyone of reading age can enjoy (or not, of course).