Options

House of Cards: Worth watching?

Comments

• Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched 6 episodes and although i liked it, i didn't have enough interest to carry on watching more and then to season 2

But i urge anyone to check it out. Kevin Spacey is incredible. Still baffled by the golden globe win of Robin Wright though. Not only did i find her the weakest character, she is also weakest actor among a very talented cast. Kate Mara for me really stole the show for me and deserved more recognition and award nominations than Robin.
    I'd have liked to have seen Corey Stoll win for supporting actor as well. Anyway, I enjoyed this too, and am looking forward to season 2.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the original UK version, it's one of my favourite shows of all time. Ian Richardson managed to make Urqhart a ruthless, elitist, hard line Tory who was actually likeable.

The US version is a different beast altogether. It's a much more serious show with patches of very dense story telling. Francis Underwood is just as calculating as Urqhart but he doesn't quite have that mischievous fun side. Personally I think the show loses something because of that, obviously Spacey is a great actor but he doesn't play a very likeable character. It could have done with a bit more lightness in general.

Still, really looking forward to watching it tonight. Expect i'll manage all 13 episodes this weekend.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen the first episode of Season 2 :)

No spoilers, but I'd just say that it would be worth refreshing your memory of what happened in S1 before watching.
  • Options
    digipersondigiperson Posts: 4,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAJOR spoiler below! (Episode one)
    WOW Frank killed Zoe! In the first episode!

I'm still shocked about it, the way it happened!

Great work Netflix!

This show is amazing!
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great S2 opener! It's good to see the parallels with the original, even though it's completely different , if that makes sense!1
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow the season 2 premier was amazing and shocking. Loved the first season of this. Looks like it's going to get even better.

Love the fact you can watch it when you like without waiting.

I'd advise anybody to give it a go. It really is very, very good!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems weird that people can watch the whole series when they want.
  • Options
    SideshowMarkSideshowMark Posts: 492
    Forum Member

It's not weird, it's perfect. Hopefully one day all tv will be like this.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would never watch a whole series in such a short amount of time, cant take it all in.

i know a guy who watched all of breaking bad in a 5 days,and now its done for him. he missed out on all the what ifs and omg cant wait for next episode stuff

with HOC i will space it out over a month probably.
  • Options
    FinalAnswer?FinalAnswer? Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For the sake of my day I hope not. I've already watched 6 episodes on my day off :D
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its ok , but Kev Spacey is no Ian Richardson , particularly when he's doing his bits to the audience , they really should drop that .

but otherwise its alright .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I meant weird as in something we aren't really used to with regards to a new series. Seems odd not having to wait a week for the next episode. Longer in some cases. I don't mind it like that, but it might get a bit confusing having to put all our posts in spoilers. :p Unless we avoid the thread until we've watched the whole series.
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its ok , but Kev Spacey is no Ian Richardson , particularly when he's doing his bits to the audience , they really should drop that .

but otherwise its alright .

I thought it was strange at first the talking to the camera, but I think it really adds something to the programme.

Each to their own though!
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic start to Season 2. Picks up the pace right where the last season left off.

I was glad that I rewatched the last two episodes of Season 1 before though, as there were several references to the events there. I'm really enjoying the show so far. The casting and cinematography is excellent. So happy that it has been renewed for a 3rd season. :)
  • Options
    sicknote10sicknote10 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the sake of my day I hope not. I've already watched 6 episodes on my day off :D

All 13 watched here!

When's Season Three out? :blush:
  • Options
    Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Fantastic start to Season 2. Picks up the pace right where the last season left off.

I was glad that I rewatched the last two episodes of Season 1 before though, as there were several references to the events there. I'm really enjoying the show so far. The casting and cinematography is excellent. So happy that it has been renewed for a 3rd season. :)

Are you me? I was ready to watch the finale yesterday and then at the last minute decided to watch the last 2 eps. Always good to have stuff fresh in mind for a new season.
  • Options
    Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sicknote10 wrote: »
    All 13 watched here!

When's Season Three out? :blush:

Oh man, someone needs a lesson on how to cherish the good things in life :D Always best to take your time and enjoy it to the fullest. I have 11 episodes to go. You must hate me :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon79 wrote: »
    Oh man, someone needs a lesson on how to cherish the good things in life :D Always best to take your time and enjoy it to the fullest. I have 11 episodes to go. You must hate me :p

I would do that but I'm worried about spoilers
  • Options
    TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the first episode, when it finished I was sure that it was only about 10 minutes long, it flew by.

Wish I had refreshed my memory like Zack06 and watched the last 2 from last season but it gradually came back.

Maybe 3 more tonight, 4 tomorrow and finish on Sunday.

Hope season 3 starts next week ;-)
  • Options
    digipersondigiperson Posts: 4,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those who have finished season two, try the first episode of Damages, it's very good! On Netflix too...

I'm on episode two of HOC S2.

Loving it!
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Just seen the first episode of Season 2 :)

No spoilers, but I'd just say that it would be worth refreshing your memory of what happened in S1 before watching.

God, yes. I was completely lost for the first 10 minutes as I had forgotten so much. I had to stop watching and go and read up on some recaps. Great episode though. Kicks off big style. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digiperson wrote: »
    For those who have finished season two, try the first episode of Damages, it's very good! On Netflix too...

Finished it? I'm only on episode 3...

Yes, Damages is a good call. It has a similar feel to HoC but with lawyers rather than politicians. I've seen the first 3 seasons but haven't yet got around to S4 and S5. Glenn Close is fantastic and is very much a female equivalent to Spacey's Underwood in terms of scheming and backstabbing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polished off the last few episodes this morning lol :(

Great end to series, Spacey is brilliant but Robin Wright stole the show. Her character obviously has some deep emotional issues under the skin but her ice cold brutality is some amazing to watch

Hurry up and film season 3!
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon79 wrote: »
    Are you me? I was ready to watch the finale yesterday and then at the last minute decided to watch the last 2 eps. Always good to have stuff fresh in mind for a new season.

Maybe! I always like to get reacquainted with past events before a new season premiere. :D
    Just watched the first episode, when it finished I was sure that it was only about 10 minutes long, it flew by.

Wish I had refreshed my memory like Zack06 and watched the last 2 from last season but it gradually came back.

Maybe 3 more tonight, 4 tomorrow and finish on Sunday.

Hope season 3 starts next week ;-)

Haha and finished already?! I'm trying to drip feed this season as I "devoured" season 1 in a few days and really really felt the wait for this season. I'm trying to drag out season 2 till the end of the month, but I don't know if I'll last that long. The first 3 episodes have been nothing short of sublime. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's more like several people reading a best selling book. You get through it at your own pace, everyone is on a difference chapter and you can't really talk about it to anyone.