Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Channel 4 at 5:15pm

Presented by Sandi Toksvig

Comments

• able1able1 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twenty programmes with a £45000 end of series jackpot.

Hopefully no dumbing down, change of format or attempts at err, humour.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    With it being Togsvig I expect there to be attemps at witty quips and asides.

I thought it needed someone more authoritatian. I was wondering if Jon Snow would suit the role.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    able1 wrote: »
    Twenty programmes with a £45000 end of series jackpot.

Hopefully no dumbing down, change of format or attempts at err, humour.

The show length has been extended...

Back in the old days each edition was 30 minutes long apart from the final which was 45 minutes
  • HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Based on what I saw from that one off they did, this will be a disaster.
    Forum Member
    To be fair that was a celebrity one off. You'd think they'd be putting more effort into a whole series.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give it a try but I want to know who's in charge of this. If they mess about with a simple, gimmick-free quiz format which is fondly remembered precisely because it's free of gimmicks, I want to know who to blame.

If they take it away from the simple format of lots of questions asked quickly by a calm question-master with no messing about or attempts at appealing to gameshow fans (chatter, life stories, anecdotes, catchphrases, multiple choice questions... ) then I'm not watching; I'll know in the first couple of minutes.

I'm not pre-judgung, just preparing myself for what seems to be the inevitable. If any of this this happens, I want the name of the person who will take the blame for buggering it up and hope they spend the rest of their working life doing something else, like flipping burgers on mininum wage.

PS I like Sandi but how will they ensure she's not be chatty, funny or witty? It's what she does.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    They seem to have done this on the quiet. Shame William G Stewart's too old to do it.
    Forum Member
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5.15 pm on a Saturday seems very bizarre scheduling.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to set up series record for minor programmes I want to watch, especially those with bizarre scheduling, then promptly forget about them. It's a pleasant surprise when they pop up on my PVR. :)

Edit: Just set it up, and I see it's the Grand National next week. This follows immediately afterwards.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Channel 4 at 5:15pm

Presented by Sandi Toksvig

That just kills it dead for me.
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    The show length has been extended...

Back in the old days each edition was 30 minutes long apart from the final which was 45 minutes

No doubt to include a load of inane chit-chat from Toksvig.

Oh I can't stand her or her voice! Why not have someone presenting who has a nice, neutral voice for reading out the questions rather than Toksvig's nails-on-a-blackboard screech??
  • able1able1 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not good news for the traditionalists, there has been some tinkering to pad it out;

' Each player will now be given three chances to reach the final round of a show therefore getting the opportunity to appear on a maximum of three shows throughout the week. This allows for Sandi to form relationships with contestants. '

What a shame.
    Forum Member
    able1 wrote: »
    Not good news for the traditionalists, there has been some tinkering to pad it out;.

' Each player will now be given three chances to reach the final round of a show therefore getting the opportunity to appear on a maximum of three shows throughout the week. This allows for Sandi to form relationships with contestants. '

What a shame.

OMFG. Why??? >:(
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    With it being Togsvig I expect there to be attemps at witty quips and asides.

I thought it needed someone more authoritatian. I was wondering if Jon Snow would suit the role.

Possibly Kim Jong Un was unavailable.
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    They could have got Alexander Armstrong and made it 3hrs. 'Now remember, you can either take a question or nominate. If you take a question...'.
  • zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Sandi Toksvig is not a bad choice-just think they might have chosen Alan Carr or Vernon Kaye, both of whom would be unwatchable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    They could have got Alexander Armstrong and made it 3hrs. 'Now remember, you can either take a question or nominate. If you take a question...'.

ROFL. You forgot: "[Turn to face camera] Remember, each contestant has 3 chances to reach the final."

:D:D

I'll bet she even allows contestants to ask for the question to be repeated. None of that in my day. "I'm sorry, the question was clearly put the first time". Meaning "If you can't be bothered to listen, that's your problem." Good old William G. :)
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd say that going by that time and day in the schedule they intend to make it a light entertainment show with that early Saturday evening type of comedy style we're all familiar with.
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Good thing about the old WG Stewart 15-1 was the fast paced questions and no fluff inbetween. With a comedian hosting the new series I don't have much hope of it being any good :/
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now I do not dislike Sandi Toksvig, but sorry 15 to 1 without William G. Stewart is jus unthinkable.

Leave well alone is my opinion.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do 'media' types always want to tinker? What makes them think they can make it better? For them this is probably just a daytime quiz their Gran used to like, but today it's a chance of a month's work while they plan it, make it, fail and in the process wreck the name of a well-liked institution.

Selfish, uncaring bastards! :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't we all take a step back and wait for the first episode to air before shooting it down in flames?
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this popped up on the screen during the Grand National, It may get some viewers who don't usually watch Channel 4 at that time.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depending on how the original style of the program is tinkered with, I don't have a problem and will watch.
    A quick fire quiz is more than welcome. Rather than contestants being instructed to mull over answers.