Deal or No Deal (No Spoilers — Part 21)

Comments

• Options
    SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Sarahsaurus

Noel constantly about "It's all about timing, dealing at precisely he right time"

And Noel so often says "As long as you've made just one mistake you will go away from the dream factory with no regrets."

It's Noel who goes on about the "importance" of spanking the banker. The skill (if you even get the opportunity on such a game of chance/luck) of going away with the highest value of the game I would have thought was more important than whether or not you've got one over on the banker.

Too many players go to the middle and say they're gunning to spank the banker, ignoring how to play the game and in the end most of them come nowhere near spanking banker despite all the earlier bravado and one upmanship as when the offer reaches x amount they can't stomach a battle of wills with banker as the pressure intensifies and can't afford to lose or risk their high 4 figure sum of money, £12,000, £14,000 they were offered

Whether or not you "spank the Banker" is largely a matter of luck. You deal at the highest offer you have had so far and then next round,the game collapses. It makes the player look like a genius for getting out "at the right time",but really they just got lucky. Nobody knows if the next round will be good or bad. You can try and balance risk and reward but at the end of the day,after you deal,you're hoping the game collapses. But as we see all the time,it often doesn't.

If I went on the show,I would attach next to no importance to "spanking the Banker". It's just a phrase,a bit of bravado,as you say. I'm just trying to win a good few quid,that's all. That might mean making a deal,or it might mean going to the end. I wouldn't know until I played the game.

If I got down to the last two boxes and I've got the £250K and the £10K left,and the Banker offers me £100K,I'd probably take it. It's just too much to gamble on the toss of a coin. Noel opens my box. It is the £250K.

Technically,I didn't "spank the Banker",because I sold my box for less than its amount.

But I'm still going home with a hundred grand in my pocket.
  • Options
    SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's another example to show why I think the idea of spanking the Banker is largely meaningless.

Suppose you get to five boxes with the £100K and four blues. The Banker offers £7,000, which is the highest offer you have had so far,since all the other decent reds went early on. Should you take it? I would turn it down without hesitation,it is only about a third of the average. If you can keep the £100K to the last two boxes,your offer will probably be about £25-30K. You can then take that,or if you want to,go for the £100K. Your chance of "spanking the Banker" if you carry on is really quite small. First,you have to keep the £100K to the end. Then you have to take the final offer and finally you have to have the remaining blue in your box. Even if you deal at two boxes every time,your chance of a Banker spanking is only 20%.

If you take the £7,000 offer at five boxes,you have a 60% chance of spanking the Banker,it is simply the chance you lose the £100K in the next round.

But there is no doubt in my mind which is the superior strategy.
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't understand a word Malcolm is saying :confused:

AUDIENCE PLEASE! £10,000 is fine!
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    For goodness sake £10k was fine. £75k on the other hand.... oh and now the £35k, oh oh, not another game like this. :(

£5k is ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £75,000 is not so good and neither is £35,000.

Why did Cori open the box like that? :confused:
  • Options
    karen_charnockkaren_charnock Posts: 1,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what has lynn got in her hair?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here's another example to show why I think the idea of spanking the Banker is largely meaningless.

Suppose you get to five boxes with the £100K and four blues. The Banker offers £7,000, which is the highest offer you have had so far,since all the other decent reds went early on. Should you take it? I would turn it down without hesitation,it is only about a third of the average. If you can keep the £100K to the last two boxes,your offer will probably be about £25-30K. You can then take that,or if you want to,go for the £100K. Your chance of "spanking the Banker" if you carry on is really quite small. First,you have to keep the £100K to the end. Then you have to take the final offer and finally you have to have the remaining blue in your box. Even if you deal at two boxes every time,your chance of a Banker spanking is only 20%.

If you take the £7,000 offer at five boxes,you have a 60% chance of spanking the Banker,it is simply the chance you lose the £100K in the next round.

But there is no doubt in my mind which is the superior strategy.

£7k is a bit on the low side but if it is just £100k as the red, For me, it would be too much of a risk to turn down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FFS, don't applaud £3,500! That's a DREADFUL offer! >:(

BREAK BEFORE THE QUESTION?! >:(
  • Options
    karen_charnockkaren_charnock Posts: 1,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what are they laughing at?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    £3.5k?! Terrible offer, it isn't even a bad board, yes I can see 4 reds have gone but still it wasn't the top 2. >:(

I would have offered £8,000, yes for that start.

Oh and I bet ramraider and Rich Tea will guess what I am going to say next... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what are they laughing at?

Nothing. Her stupid laugh has made Noel behave like a complete idiot!
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Box 2 - Malcolm - £250
    Box 11 - Aisha - £10,000
    Box 20 - Laura - £75,000
    Box 8 - Steve - £35,000
    Box 16 - Cori - £5,000

Opening offer - £3,500

NO DEAL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If ramraider and Rich Tea have guessed that I am going to complain about the break, then they are right! :D

That stupid competition takes a long time to go through and they had the break BEFORE THE FIRST QUESTION!!!!! >:( >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Predictions for this game,

She will have a red in her box.
    GCT will chuck his TV out of the window! :D
    I will complain about how poor the offers will be! :D
    She will deal at an offer less than half the average of the board
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SHUT UP NOEL! No one cares about the Pilgrim of the Day or Box bloody 23! >:(

£100,000 :(
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Box 4 - Andy - 1p :D
    Box 3 - Hilary - £100

Tom from Oxford is today's pilgrim of the day

Noel runs through the Box 23 possibilities

Box 7 - John (newbie) - £100,000

2nd offer - £5,000

NO DEAL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are no lights on because £5,000 is sh*t! >:(

GO AWAY BANKER! >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    £5k. >:( I would offer £10,000.

There are no lights Noel because

A) It is only the second offer and
    B) It is a dreadful offer. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are no lights on because £5,000 is shit! >:(

GO AWAY BANKER! >:(

Now now, watch your language GCT! :p

But I know why you're angry, it is a dreadful offer. >:(

What was the average there and how much % was £5k of the average?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And there is when you don't want to hit the £50,000 :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And there is when you don't want to hit the £50,000 :(

Has it gone? Because if It has, NOOOOOOOOOOOO! :(

(I was out of the room then!)

Typical, as soon as I'm back, there's another break. >:(:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO £50K DID GO! NOOOOOOOOOO! :(

What an ugly looking board. Sigh. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think £500 is good enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would offer £6,750 now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The banker doesn't know what is in the box. >:( (Except for most of last week! :D)
This discussion has been closed.