Options

Fallout 4

Comments

• Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »
    It really isn't but I guess console gamers don't have a choice.

It is really, considering we all seem happy watching TV at 25 frames per second and cine at 24.
  • Options
    nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Same here. Decent-looking, with a big map (all explorable all the time) and a solid frame rate.

I'd prefer a high frame rate to cutting edge graphics any day, makes everything look much more real. Plus, with such a huge map and so many areas to go to, top notch graphics as well would melt my pc. I'd prfer 60fps with everything looking pretty good to 30fps and everything looking photo realistic.
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd prefer a high frame rate to cutting edge graphics any day, makes everything look much more real. Plus, with such a huge map and so many areas to go to, top notch graphics as well would melt my pc. I'd prfer 60fps with everything looking pretty good to 30fps and everything looking photo realistic.

yeah I am one for a decent frame rate as well. One reason I find it a chore using consoles is the 30fps in most games. I'm so used to 60fps on the PC that I really notice the difference, I also notice a pretty big difference at 120fps. I can see why it doesn't bother people if they are used to 30 though. fluid movement is a must for me and I choose that over resolution and graphics, am very relieved Bethesda confirmed the PC wont be capped.
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30fps doesnt bother me its when it cant do 30 frames and chuggs along gets stuck. suppose the fallout 3 version included with fallout 4 will be the normal version no DLC not the game of the the year version
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    It is really, considering we all seem happy watching TV at 25 frames per second and cine at 24.

Are you comparing movies to games? Lol.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    I'm OK with a 30fps frame rate as long as it's stable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you comparing movies to games? Lol.

Yes. A framerate is a framerate. If it's OK for TV or films, why not for a game? Lol.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Neither of those are interactive though.
  • Options
    Cougar GirlCougar Girl Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait for Fallout 4!! I wonder if they'll do a ps4 bundle for this? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither of those are interactive though.

But as one frame (at 25fps) takes 40mS it's faster than you can think/react anyway. I honestly don't see what the problem is. I suspect it's just a bit of specmanship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. A framerate is a framerate. If it's OK for TV or films, why not for a game? Lol.

I'd have to disagree there. 24fps just wouldnt cut it for me, the fluid movement of 60fps in games is clearly evident. 120fps in games is a noticeable improvement as well, you have to try it to see how much better a game plays really. I'm sure there might be people who are less sensitive, but there is a difference.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    ritch wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree there. 24fps just wouldnt cut it for me, the fluid movement of 60fps in games is clearly evident. 120fps in games is a noticeable improvement as well, you have to try it to see how much better a game plays really. I'm sure there might be people who are less sensitive, but there is a difference.

Bizzare this needs explaining.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizzare this needs explaining.

Yep its strange that many gamers don’t seem to acknowledge the difference between 30 and 60fps. Console gamers are so used to it I guess. Its at this point you get dangerously close to being called PC elitist, but I couldn’t care less about any of that. All I know is that the defence between 30 and 60fps is night and day, it’s one reason I never have been into consoles, the games just feel sluggish to me. The news that Arkham Knight had been locked at 30fps on PC made it an immediate non purchase, of course now I couldn’t buy it if I wanted to :o
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a difference between 30 and 60. Above 60 it makes absolutely no difference as far as I am concerned. 30 is perfectly adequate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    There is a difference between 30 and 60. Above 60 it makes absolutely no difference as far as I am concerned. 30 is perfectly adequate.

That’s a matter of opinion though and what you personally find satisfactory, which is fine but it simply isn’t a fact for many people. I am not trolling here but to me 30fps isn’t adequate, it feels nowhere near as responsive as 60fps. I’d also argue there is a difference from 60 to 120fps, it’s not as bigger leap but its definitely noticeable, it just feels smoother although I rarely use 120. Anyway the point is I was alarmed to hear FO4 might be capped to 30fps on PC, am very relieved its not.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ritch wrote: »
    That’s a matter of opinion though and what you personally find satisfactory, which is fine but it simply isn’t a fact for many people. I am not trolling here but to me 30fps isn’t adequate, it feels nowhere near as responsive as 60fps. I’d also argue there is a difference from 60 to 120fps, it’s not as bigger leap but its definitely noticeable, it just feels smoother although I rarely use 120. Anyway the point is I was alarmed to hear FO4 might be capped to 30fps on PC, am very relieved its not.

As you seem very knowledgeable about such things I presume you know how to edit an ini file?
    I maintain there is a barely perceptable difference between 60 and above.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ugh, 30 fps usually becomes 20 fps when things get busy on screen. I thought we'd moved on from low fps with the next gen consoles but clearly I was wrong. I'd rather have slightly worse graphics and 60 fps than the slideshows I had to put up with on the PS3.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    For me it depends on the game. I don't really seem to notice on FPS, but on racing games low and particularly unstable frame rates really stand out.
    shaddler wrote: »
    Ugh, 30 fps usually becomes 20 fps when things get busy on screen. I thought we'd moved on from low fps with the next gen consoles but clearly I was wrong. I'd rather have slightly worse graphics and 60 fps than the slideshows I had to put up with on the PS3.

There is a line of thought that they should have waited a couple more years before releasing this generation of consoles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    As you seem very knowledgeable about such things I presume you know how to edit an ini file?
    I maintain there is a barely perceptable difference between 60 and above.

lol my intention isnt to be a smart arse, I'm just pointing out there there is a difference, even above 60fps, I have seen this with my own eyes! if you mean the Arkham Knight ini file, adjusting it can make matters worse apparently as other functions are tied to the frame rate, so am leaving that one alone until they sort it. I don't see myself as an expert at all but will do what I can to get my PC maintaining 60fps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it depends on the game. I don't really seem to notice on FPS, but on racing games low and particularly unstable frame rates really stand out.

There is a line of thought that they should have waited a couple more years before releasing this generation of consoles.

yep the new generation of consoles should really be maintaining higher frame rates imo. 1080p at 60fps seems very rare. but no medium is perfect at the end of the day, they just don't want to wait in this day and age
  • Options
    FrankieThePandaFrankieThePanda Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a heads up to all those who missed the pip boy edition, GameStop Ireland have them and in stock for pre order and are the only overseas company that will ship to the UK and it only costs a extra £10
  • Options
    MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pre ordered the Fallout anthology today from Game. I already own them all but the Mini Nuke looks nice and I'm a sucker for collector editions.

It's already being sold on eBay for ridiculous amounts.
  • Options
    mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching some Fallout 3 gameplay vids. It's been such a long time since I played that, really reminding me how much I enjoyed it!

Excited again for this now
  • Options
    MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsLurker wrote: »
    I pre ordered the Fallout anthology today from Game. I already own them all but the Mini Nuke looks nice and I'm a sucker for collector editions.

It's already being sold on eBay for ridiculous amounts.

I received it this morning. I'm gonna need a bigger shelf.
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only 18 days to go!..I've never looked forward to a game so much.