Robert Carlyle denounces "celebrities" now

Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
Forum Member
I don't have the link unfortunately but this is what Robert said in last weekend's Sunday Herald magazine:

"There's nothing wrong in wanting to be famous.... we've probably all said that at some point as kids but now it's possible to become famous for f*** all. That's the difference. You couldn't do it back when, you had to have some sort of talent or ability. Now it's continuous, wall-to-wall. It's like watching Opportunity Knocks all week. It depresses me unutterably, it really does.

There was one of these magazines - I can assure you I don't read them - a Hello or OK or something like that. I was looking at it and I couldn't take it all in. There were these 3 pictures in a row with blurbs underneath them. One of them was some f***er I didn't even know, some f*** wit , whatever he'd done, then on the other side, I recognised this guy, spiky-haired singer.... Gareth Gates. Then in the middle... Anthony Hopkins. So, there's f*** wit, Gareth Gates, Anthony Hopkins..... it doesn't matter, they're all worth the same. There is this thing called celebrity and it's a big blanket that has been stitched with different coloured threads and you just f**king throw everything in."

Go, Bobby..... Go, Bobby..... you tell 'em. I bet it was Hello who was the culprit since Anthony Hopkins is far too upmarket for the dire OK!

I wish more real stars with genuine talent would speak out against this "celebrity" epidemic.

Comments

• Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I *heart* him lots, and he speaks sense :D
  • trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soulmate9 wrote: »
    So, there's f*** wit, Gareth Gates, Anthony Hopkins..... it doesn't matter, they're all worth the same.
    :D:D What a great quote!
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    trec123 wrote: »
    :D:D What a great quote!

I now really want to know who F***wit was :D
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "but now it's possible to become famous for f*** all".

Well said that man.

I do like RC great actor, not bad on the eye either.
  • girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are being brainwashed by the media who are pushing all these non-celebs down our throats all the time, making us think we are missing out by not knowing every detail of their lives.
    It will never stop though, things will just keep geting worse.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of Gareth Gates, but the remarks seem a bit harsh and ignorant towards him.
  • AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    I read it that Robert Carlisle recognised Gareth Gates and knew he was a singer, so Gareth definitely didn't come into the category of celebritiies being railed at by RC.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with Robert Carlyle on this!!! ;):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Cazza23 wrote: »
    I'm with Robert Carlyle on this!!! ;):D

Yeah me too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "but now it's possible to become famous for f*** all".

Well said that man.

I do like RC great actor, not bad on the eye either.

I agree to both of your comments! :cool:

We should see more of RC in films and TV, he's a cracking actor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More talented famous people should come and rant about these attention seeking needy people some of whom are regarded as "icons" despite have very little talent on hand.

Media feeds off them and thy supply media with all the superfluous fluff about themselves-one huge collusion.

Never used to be like this... once people became famous for their excellent at "whatever" they did.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of Gareth Gates, but the remarks seem a bit harsh and ignorant towards him.

I think it's more a dig at f***wit than Gareth Gates. :D
  • Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
    Forum Member
    Airam wrote: »
    I read it that Robert Carlisle recognised Gareth Gates and knew he was a singer, so Gareth definitely didn't come into the category of celebritiies being railed at by RC.

As I understood it, Robert was looking at those people in layers, if you like, due to their fame and what they'd done to achieve it. Anthony Hopkins is way up beyond, Gareth Gates is some OK singer, then there's f*** wit. I'd like to know who f*** wit was too but there's so many to choose from! :D

And yes, Robert's very easy on the eye!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I understood it, Robert was looking at those people in layers, if you like, due to their fame and what they'd done to achieve it. Anthony Hopkins is way up beyond, Gareth Gates is some OK singer, then there's f*** wit. I'd like to know who f*** wit was too but there's so many to choose from! :D

And yes, Robert's very easy on the eye!

Well, I wouldn't kick him out of the bed for making crumbs!!! :o

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    Well, I wouldn't kick him out of the bed for making crumbs!!! :o

:D:D:D

Me neither. I'd be dragging him into the bed....!! :p
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "There's nothing wrong in wanting to be famous.... we've probably all said that at some point as kids but now it's possible to become famous for f*** all. That's the difference. You couldn't do it back when, you had to have some sort of talent or ability. Now it's continuous, wall-to-wall. It's like watching Opportunity Knocks all week. It depresses me unutterably, it really does.

There was one of these magazines - I can assure you I don't read them - a Hello or OK or something like that. I was looking at it and I couldn't take it all in. There were these 3 pictures in a row with blurbs underneath them. One of them was some f***er I didn't even know, some f*** wit , whatever he'd done, then on the other side, I recognised this guy, spiky-haired singer.... Gareth Gates. Then in the middle... Anthony Hopkins. So, there's f*** wit, Gareth Gates, Anthony Hopkins..... it doesn't matter, they're all worth the same. There is this thing called celebrity and it's a big blanket that has been stitched with different coloured threads and you just f**king throw everything in."

"Boo-hoo it's not fair, I'm not as rich as them and yet I've hard to work harder by swearing and pretending to nut people more than they have", in other words then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    "Boo-hoo, it's not fair, I'm not as rich as them and I've hard to work harder by swearing and pretending to nut people more than them", in other words then.

Oh I expect Bob's not short of a ....erm.......... bob! :o

:p;):D
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I expect Bob's not short of a ....erm.......... bob! :o

:p;):D

Lol, true. Celebrities denigrating 'celebrity' always gives me a chuckle.
    Forum Member
    "Boo-hoo it's not fair, I'm not as rich as them and yet I've hard to work harder by swearing and pretending to nut people more than they have", in other words then.

You really think that "pretending to nut people" is the sole achievement of Bobby's life or career?? Bizarre..... He's an actor with an incredible wealth of talent.... something the z-listers will never know. Oh, and he's a millionnaire.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, true. Celebrities denigrating 'celebrity' always gives me a chuckle.

His [unwanted] celebrity is an unavoidable by-product of his job rather than an end in itself. Do you honestly not see that it is this new-ish breed that he is talking about?!?!?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course they're harsh.
    They're supposed to be harsh.
    To be anything else would be giving the current celebrity culture a respect it doesn't deserve.

I don't see anything ignorant about what he said. In fact he sounds very aware and has an informed insight. He doesn't say anything bad about Gareth Gates, he just uses him as an example to demonstrate three different levels of celebrity.
  • minxymoominxymoo Posts: 25,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was some reality tv plantpot saying this id laugh but RC is a credible actor and private guy whos earned his dues and his comments are well observed.
    agree hes very easy on the eye.small but perfectly formed.;)
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're in an age when a fitness instructor can be considered a 'celebrity', all because she is engaged to a footballer.

The resultant media fawning over these creatures really is quite pathetic.
  • PlasticGobPlasticGob Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bobby is fantastic. Absolutely adore him still can't get over him killing my future hubby Chris Eccleston though in cracker...haha Hey a girl can dream!

He is correct in what he says, it is like one big talent or in this case talentless show ALL the time! :D
  • FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    I don't see why it's a problem being famous for nothing - it is the public and media that put them there. Who gives a damn if someone's famous or not - don't see why only a elite should be celebrities. What difference does it make to him? It's not like they're taking the place of someone else who should be.

I like RC but I think this is a very snobbish attitude. Though I do think it's quite sad that kids aspire to be celebrities without any discerning skill but honestly - what's the real harm?