Options

People that pull their handbrake up through the ratchet, press the button in!!!

13»

Comments

• Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with hills we have, in a manual car with no working parking brake, you wouldnt last 5mins!

I was suprised by how difficult it appears to be to design and make a handbrake - eg, Honda Civic and Vauxhall recalls. What didnt suprise me was the fact that the Honda hand brake issue only effects the model built in Swindon, UK.

I always leave the car in gear as well, just to be safe. The automatic I used to have was great, you could just leave it in Park.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tess-g wrote: »
    C class Mercs (well ours) have a foot operated parking brake. Nothing to do with automatic hand-brakes, thankfully!

I knew someone with a C class Merc with manual transmission. It had the same park break system though and she said you needed three feet and three hands to operate it properly. Thankfully mine and I would assume yours is automatic transmission.

I traded the Merc in for a Jag that has a traditional handbrake. For the first few weeks of driving it I kept lifting my left leg up ready to engage the parking break. It's strange how set in our ways we get.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tess-g wrote: »
    My handbrake is operated with your foot and doesn't even have a button to push :cry:

I'd call that a foot brake myself :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    scotty22 wrote: »
    mine aint even working..I pulled it to hard and it broke..so now i just have to park in gear or stay in clutch control.

gonna need to fix it before MOT time :eek:
  • Options
    scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gonna need to fix it before MOT time :eek:

aint my car
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i used to own my own garage (not saying that makes me any kind of expert lol) but if you think about it sensibly as a couple have mentioned,
    if you use the button to pull the handbrake up, and then use the button to release it WHY fit a ratchet,? the job of a ratchet is to enable you get the tightest stop that you require, same way you use ratchet straps you tighten them ON the ratchet to know you have connection,
    on my wifes car she also has a foot pedal for the parking brake and that also uses a ratchet,

so please as others have mentioned for your own safety pull the hadbrake up with NO button to ensure it is on properly and smile at the person in the next car hoping it is the OP and your annoying him:p
  • Options
    cartreecartree Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotty22 wrote: »
    aint my car

Well it's not 'your' handbrake then either :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On applying the handbrake, the handbook for my Ford car says:
    • Press the brake pedal firmly.
    • While pressing the brake pedal, pull the handbrake lever up smartly to its fullest extent.
    • Do not press the release button while pulling the lever up.
    Clearly it's a controversial matter, though — at least for some people! :D
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    No - some cars thes days (mostly Renaults) have automatic hand-brakes which engage and disengage with a servo. When you are in neutral with foot off the clutch, it will engage, when in gear with some slight weight on the accelerator it will disengage.

I don't like them - it doesn't feel natural, especially if you want to ride the clutch from standstill.

I have a renault, and I love the parking brake, in fact I panic now if I have to drive a car with a normal handbrake!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malaikah wrote: »
    Doesn't using the button cause some issue with handbrake cable tension??

Yup. The manual for my old car said not to press the button when engaging the hand brake due to the automatic tensioner.
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never had a car with a working handbrake so I'd just leave it in gear.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Clearly it's a controversial matter, though — at least for some people! :D

Yep - the people doing it wrong :D:D:D
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mikes Mike wrote: »
    Why can't people push the button in on their handbrake when they pull it up! It's so annoying. People stopping at the traffic lights or pull up to park and 'crunch'. Don't people know you can damage the handbrake mechanism with this laziness.

One thing that really annoys me!
    Providing it's their own car being damaged, why the annoyance?
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    I knew someone with a C class Merc with manual transmission. It had the same park break system though and she said you needed three feet and three hands to operate it properly. Thankfully mine and I would assume yours is automatic transmission.

I traded the Merc in for a Jag that has a traditional handbrake. For the first few weeks of driving it I kept lifting my left leg up ready to engage the parking break. It's strange how set in our ways we get.

Sounds like me at the moment. I've got a Mercedes CLS, which is currently in the shop for repairs (thank you, bloody ice!) and so I'm stuck with a Corsa. I'm using the traditional handbrake without any problem, but I STILL go for the foot brake and the release handle every time I set or release the handbrake!
  • Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my first driving lesson my instructor said I should push the button in when pulling the handbrake up, and I bought a book called 'The Official DSA Guide to Driving' which also says you should press it in unless your car's manual says otherwise.
  • Options
    airfixairfix Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't people push the button in on their handbrake when they pull it up! It's so annoying. People stopping at the traffic lights or pull up to park and 'crunch'. Don't people know you can damage the handbrake mechanism with this laziness.

You are supposed to use the ratchet. That's what keeps the parking brake/cable properly adjusted. The button is there purely for releasing the handbrake when it's on.

Keep up at the back! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I drive an automatic and never use the hand brake.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bit more logic and then you decide to apply whatever way you want lol

when your parking brake is tested during an MOT the tester will usually pull the handbrake with NO button to see how many ratchet clicks before engaging, the myth of 3 clicks is that, as long as it holds safely, he is pulling it up to check the ratchet is working,

as mentioned earlier using the button to apply and release why have a ratchet?

pulling it up with the button and then releasing it does NOT ensure it is locked properly,

Lastly on the vast majority of cars it is called the parking brake RELEASE button not the apply button
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was learning I was taught to pull it up while pressing the button, then release the button and pull it up one click.

geoveo wrote: »

When I had an automatic I always forgot to take the handbrake off. Every single time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member

Wrong !!

One thing that really annoys me is people getting all uppity about something they know nothing about.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geoveo wrote: »

I always engage the parking/hand brake in my auto when I park up. It's great driving an auto isn't it? No need to do those silly hill starts with your clutch, hand brake etc...

Theres no way I could go back to driving a manual now.
  • Options
    ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I first learnt do drive, over 40 or so years ago; I was always taught to pull on the handbrake, but press the button to release.

I was told the button is a 'Parking Brake Release Button' and that you are disengaging the ratchet and brake.

Mind you, over the years I have witnessed drivers who forget they have a handbrake and wondered why the vehicle is still moving, even when they have got out of the car.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    It's sad to see them damaging their car that way but what I find more annoying is people who can't close their car doors quietly. That's damaging their car and I can hear it inside my house. I've never owned a car where it's been necessary to slam the door. Most can be gently closed as long as you maintain momentum and push them all the way with your fingers.

My dad always used to shout "It's not a railway carriage" when anyone slammed his car door.

I have to say though that I drive a Smart and if you DON'T slam the door, it doesn't shut properly, it just sorta wibbles on the catch but isn't shut. The doors are enormous for such a tiny car but being made of plastic they weigh nothing, so you have to put some force behind it to get it to shut!

My mum being trained by my dad always shuts the door quietly and then has to open it again and slam it, while I raise my eyes heavenward!!
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    I always engage the parking/hand brake in my auto when I park up. It's great driving an auto isn't it? No need to do those silly hill starts with your clutch, hand brake etc...

Theres no way I could go back to driving a manual now.

My auto rolls back on really steep hills, v annoying having to do the handbrake thing in an auto.