BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I found it strange that very little is mentioned on the forums here about 5live

considering it's a national news station and must have a bigger audience in UK than Talksport or LBC who have their own long standing threads

and though I notice occasional threads on various items on there or presenters there doesn't seem to be a dedicated one I thought I'd start one......

not sure what to begin with but here's a couple of grenades to throw in the virtual room.....

1)
what do people think of move to Salford? has it affected presenters and the shows ...have they improved or declined and are the guests they get weaker now they are not in London?

2)and what really annoys me is how often they are in a very interesting conversation with someone and having a good discussion when they break off for the news on the hour and half hour.....

even on the odd and very rare occasion they might just carry on with it....drive is particularly guilty of this......the moment is lost and what could have been really fascinating insight is lost in the ether.....shame .....

with 24 rolling news coverage and twitter and the web...do we really HAVE to have the news so precisely? I'd gladly wait a bit for it if a really good interview or chat is happening...
what do others think? Is it a legal remit? it's daft in this day and age i believe...

any ideas or responses gratefully received as starter of this thread if it picks up i'll try and log in each day if I can

( phone signal patchy here so often have to wait till home to check but do my best)

welcome one and all... :D

Comments

• Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss the Simon Mayo show from Monday to Thursday but am not too keen on the Friday film show. I don't mind Richard Bacon but he doesn't have the strengths of Mayo.

Personally I think the move to Salford has been a complete and utter waste of time and the long term outcome of it is that the station will begin to become stale sooner rather than later. There's no way that presenters are going to make the move to Salford (or for those who commute, commit themselves to the station) only to be moved on after a short while.

I also think the Breakfast Show is totally disjointed with one presenter on from 6am to 9am and the other from 7am to 10am. It really was done just to accommodate Victoria Derbyshire's shortcomings as a phone in host. Again, like Bacon I don't mind Vicky but she seems to have been given preferential treatment as a way to sort out her problems with hosting the phone in. Perhaps the solution is just to scrap the phone in and give Vicky back that extra hour - the phone in sounds a bit stale these days anyway, I don't like the way NC runs it by having three people on air talking to each other. Actually I don't like phone-ins at all so dropping the phone in would be welcome!
  • Jo VialityJo Viality Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    I found it strange that very little is mentioned on the forums here about 5live

considering it's a national news station and must have a bigger audience in UK than Talksport or LBC who have their own long standing threads

and though I notice occasional threads on various items on there or presenters there doesn't seem to be a dedicated one I thought I'd start one......

not sure what to begin with but here's a couple of grenades to throw in the virtual room.....

1)
    what do people think of move to Salford? has it affected presenters and the shows ...have they improved or declined and are the guests they get weaker now they are not in London?

2)and what really annoys me is how often they are in a very interesting conversation with someone and having a good discussion when they break off for the news on the hour and half hour.....

even on the odd and very rare occasion they might just carry on with it....drive is particularly guilty of this......the moment is lost and what could have been really fascinating insight is lost in the ether.....shame .....

with 24 rolling news coverage and twitter and the web...do we really HAVE to have the news so precisely? I'd gladly wait a bit for it if a really good interview or chat is happening...
    what do others think? Is it a legal remit? it's daft in this day and age i believe...

any ideas or responses gratefully received as starter of this thread if it picks up i'll try and log in each day if I can

( phone signal patchy here so often have to wait till home to check but do my best)

welcome one and all... :D

It is an interesting point about the breaks for news. Sometimes I actually tune in at half past the hour just for the news headlines and sports news and it is quite annoying if it is 5 minutes late so there are 2 ways of looking at it.On the half hour they do often delay the news to finish an item but on the hour they always stop an item dead on the hour. If there is a caller on the line they sometimes bring them back after the news.

As for the presenters I don't think the line-up is as strong as it was. Richard Bacon is certainly not as strong as Simon Mayo. On sport, Mark Pougatch is the best.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I listen to it a lot less now than I used to

Still listen most evening from 7 for the sports show

At one time I'd have it on all day, then again late at night after the telly had finished

But once they started doing phone-ins I lost interest - I don't care what the thickos out there think...............:sleep:
  • Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I listen to it a lot less now than I used to

Still listen most evening from 7 for the sports show

At one time I'd have it on all day, then again late at night after the telly had finished

But once they started doing phone-ins I lost interest - I don't care what the thickos out there think...............:sleep:

Do you prefer the opinion of a BBC presenter? (who is never going to do anything but toe the party line)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you prefer the opinion of a BBC presenter? (who is never going to do anything but toe the party line)

No, I prefer them to have knowledgeable guests in the studio to discuss an issue

Also..........if they have to have phone ins I hate the trend for having four callers on at the same time shouting over each other...........it's unlistenable to

I suppose it doesn't bother me that much because i won't listen to phone-ins anyway..............:sleep:
  • Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    I certainly agree about the phone-ins. The format is stale and the content is tedious, especially when Campbell tries to get three people to have a row with each other.

I think part of the problem is that most of the presenters don't actually know when they have a knowledable contributor on, and never seem to get the best out of them. This is illustrated on Drive last night, when Louise Minshin though she knew more than the contributor about the age of an author, and disagreed with the contributor when he said it was 80. It was actually 79. It didn't detract from the point that was being made, it just broke up an interseting item.
  • moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    No, I prefer them to have knowledgeable guests in the studio to discuss an issue

Also..........if they have to have phone ins I hate the trend for having four callers on at the same time shouting over each other...........it's unlistenable to

I suppose it doesn't bother me that much because i won't listen to phone-ins anyway..............:sleep:

There was a knowledgable guest, a historian, on the Tony Livesey show last night. It wasn't a very good idea because he kept saying things that TL had never heard of. The word schism was mentioned, to which TL said "schism???" and the guest had to explain it to him. Another one was Papal Bull - " Papal Bull???" - another explanation needed, after which TL said "Thankyou, er, I'm not stupid" :D There were others as well. I thought I'd wandered into a parallel universe :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Did anyone hear Paddy Crerand loose his cool yesterday whilst being interviewd by Chris Warburton? Quite bizarre
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo Viality wrote: »
    It is an interesting point about the breaks for news. Sometimes I actually tune in at half past the hour just for the news headlines and sports news and it is quite annoying if it is 5 minutes late so there are 2 ways of looking at it.On the half hour they do often delay the news to finish an item but on the hour they always stop an item dead on the hour. If there is a caller on the line they sometimes bring them back after the news.

As for the presenters I don't think the line-up is as strong as it was. Richard Bacon is certainly not as strong as Simon Mayo. On sport, Mark Pougatch is the best.

WOW! Thanks so much for all the replies everyone really pleased with response I'm secretly hoping this thread won't die but pick up & continue like LBC chit chat so thanks for responding.....
    Interesting you tune in for 1/2 hour news & annoyed on delays....i hadn't thought of that really as being necessary as I said with 24 hr news/smartphones etc etc I really think though they go back to people after that magic moment is lost often when its very interesting....i find myself shouting at the radio!

Yes did hear that man U player call in and the tirade was quite hilarious....but the constant replacing of presenters all the time makes listening so disjointed
    I agree with other posts though I really think the split presenting doesn't work either... didn't realize it was to acommodate Vic Derbyshire - I couldn't understand why they do it when nick Ferrari on LBC does the whole show himself (with guest reviewers) not sure why has to be broken up...it makes it a bit odd... The weirdest bit is when rb is having a conversation & suddenly NC talks as well when we didn't know he was there...i don't mind but I think it throws the interviewee often too...

I believe vderbyshire lives with one of the high Ups & she commutes into Salford from London every day?
    Insane really.....almost as insane as putting Stephen Nolan up every weekend too when there must be no end of competent presenters who could do it.....no please not Vanessa feltz though!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    WOW! Thanks so much for all the replies everyone really pleased with response I'm secretly hoping this thread won't die but pick up & continue like LBC chit chat so thanks for responding.....
    Interesting you tune in for 1/2 hour news & annoyed on delays....i hadn't thought of that really as being necessary as I said with 24 hr news/smartphones etc etc I really think though they go back to people after that magic moment is lost often when its very interesting....i find myself shouting at the radio!

Yes did hear that man U player call in and the tirade was quite hilarious....but the constant replacing of presenters all the time makes listening so disjointed
    I agree with other posts though I really think the split presenting doesn't work either... didn't realize it was to acommodate Vic Derbyshire - I couldn't understand why they do it when nick Ferrari on LBC does the whole show himself (with guest reviewers) not sure why has to be broken up...it makes it a bit odd... The weirdest bit is when rb is having a conversation & suddenly NC talks as well when we didn't know he was there...i don't mind but I think it throws the interviewee often too...

I believe vderbyshire lives with one of the high Ups & she commutes into Salford from London every day?
    Insane really.....almost as insane as putting Stephen Nolan up every weekend too when there must be no end of competent presenters who could do it.....no please not Vanessa feltz though!!

I'm probably in the minority but I must admit to enjoying Nolans shows. At least you get some serious debate and he doesn't have a 'posse' in the studio unlike the Mon-Thur offering.
  • Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    The weirdest bit is when rb is having a conversation & suddenly NC talks as well when we didn't know he was there...i don't mind but I think it throws the interviewee often too...

I have commented on Campbells habit of doing this before, and I agree it is very disruptive for the interviewee, and annoying for the listeners. It is a symptom of Campbells over inflated ego, which is increasingly ruining Breakfast for me thesdays.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,812
    Forum Member
    I don’t listen so much these days apart from sport. I loved it when it started, it had a slight LBC feel to it, great theme tune and line up, it did feel a bit more “hard news” than it does now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    I don’t listen so much these days apart from sport. I loved it when it started, it had a slight LBC feel to it, great theme tune and line up, it did feel a bit more “hard news” than it does now.

It seems to have gone really downmarket............the phone ins, the 'populist' tablolid and radio one and two DJ presenters

In the first few years it had more serious broadcasters like Eddie Mair, Julian Worricker etc............they've all gone to BBC News on TV now

My favourite show was Vincent Hanna's politics show..........was it Thursday night ?...........which went on for hours

And of course there was Fi Glover..............grrrrrrrr..........:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »

You make a good point about the original theme - much better than the current one. I also miss the old Sport on Five theme, why was a great theme like that dropped? Also commentary is now played over the Sports Report theme. Just a small thing but really annoying!
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The station began by covering news and sport but changed to news,sport and entertainment.There is no doubt that the news coverage has been diluted and many of the rogrammes dumbed down.The news hour at lunch has gone. The reports at 7.00 and 10.00 in the evening have gone. The weekend evening news programme has gone....and when they say'you can get the full results on the website' I get really annoyed.
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    The station began by covering news and sport but changed to news,sport and entertainment.There is no doubt that the news coverage has been diluted and many of the rogrammes dumbed down.The news hour at lunch has gone. The reports at 7.00 and 10.00 in the evening have gone. The weekend evening news programme has gone....and when they say'you can get the full results on the website' I get really annoyed.

The 30 minutes sports bulletin at 1030 is much missed on a Saturday night. As you say, all well and good to say 'results on the website' but much easier just to read them out (and gets rid of half an hour of Nolan!)
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,036
    Forum Member
    I find both Derbyshire's and Fogerty's shows very dull on the whole. Endless talking about the NHS, social care etc. I think the news story mix in Breakfast and Drive is a lot more interesting.

The Salford move has affected the station in terms of interviews - nearly every news or feature interview is down the line now, rather than face to face. They should just move the Richard Bacon show back to London at lease - nearly all his guests are talking to him from a London studio. He can better interact with them face to face and therefore provide listeners with a better show.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vast majority of 5 Live's output is still the same regardless of location, which shows for a national station at least that it doesn't all have to come from London. If anything the move to Salford has increased the station's national awareness and is not just a supposed London-centric station.
  • Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've listened to Radio 5 / R5L for many years - no question it's quality of output has diminished noticeably. DQL.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Long live Five Live,even if it is just to hear Robbie Savage getting upset if someone disagrees with him on 606...comedy gold!
  • Sense of DaySense of Day Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    I miss the Friday sports preview with Mark Pougatch, who is streets ahead of any other sports presenter on the station.

Friday's love-in is too much for me. If we are not careful, Colin Murray could end up being Five Live's main sports anchor, which would remove all the seriousness and thoughtfulness from those excellent progammes Pougatch currently presents on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I miss the Friday sports preview with Mark Pougatch, who is streets ahead of any other sports presenter on the station.

Friday's love-in is too much for me. If we are not careful, Colin Murray could end up being Five Live's main sports anchor, which would remove all the seriousness and thoughtfulness from those excellent progammes Pougatch currently presents on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

I really didn't like Colin Murray at first but he has kind of grown on me............I usually listen on Fridays till there's something worth watching on telly, usually 9pm

Glad they got rid of Mark 'for you' Saggers - he couldn't string 3 words together

Ian Payne used to be good on the sports preview and review shows
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Long live Five Live,even if it is just to hear Robbie Savage getting upset if someone disagrees with him on 606...comedy gold!

I stopped listening to the football phone-ins years ago when the Two Dannies left.................:eek:

The two Dannies had a straightforward philosophy that 6-0-6 was for fans.................and players, managers, journos etc could shove it because they all had plenty of chances to get their viewpoints across

As soon as the two D's left it quickly turned into 'let's hear what Arsene Wenger had to say about today's match'.............and i stopped listening
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Mills wrote: »

some great responses on here to all manner of items glad its generated some discussion -
    I wouldn't mind the mix of entertainment as well if it was balanced....
    In fact the sport part for me is so disappointing as its not a "sports" station really as it only ever seems to report on football mainly & golf....i always dread us golf being on as its all night...though does send me off to sleep well!
    But as olympics promised so much I vainly thought they may keep to their words & we'd get different sports but no....
    back to the same old dreary nonsense soccer stories endless drivel & pundits.....

For entertainment - I quite like the film reviews in fact more of that would be fine but
    I have no idea why they keep plugging Simon Cowells talentless show often over & above their own dancing show which is bizarre....

No fan of Stephen Nolan....he always seems terrified of the lawyers & backs off when anything vaguely controversial is discussed...i also object to paying licence fee to fly him over from Ireland every week & put up in a hotel when there are plenty of competent presenters
    domestically- but most of all its not interesting....
    Fi glover was superb...worricker...not fussed at time but catch him on world service & see the difference from todays output it was good quality then..
    Bacon was well suited to weeknights but maybe not days....
    The 2 dannies? Aghh the dross on Saturday mornings danny baker does is truly awful...really weak text in stuff...i know he has lots of fans I've just never seen it or been one

Oh & 1 more thing for now...maybe its cutbacks but since when did
    entertainment reporter Colin Patterson retrain as a presenter?
    & don't even start me on George Reilly though should be grateful gabby Logan is gone but could never stand shelagh Fogarty so its not much better there either...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way im extremely guilty of it above but I didn't intend this just to totally BBC bash...i mean that's too easy to do with so many targets but understandable at first as its first outlet weve had to do so...the lbc chit chat has settled down these days to comments on each show but that threads well established....

Well on more positive note..some more variety from football -.the cycling programme on safety looks promising with James cracknell & bespoke the cycle show though I think could have asked someone other than falling back on Colin Murray yet again...
This discussion has been closed.