BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    SJM978 wrote: »
    Solheim Cup Golf from 7:30PM tonight. I will not be listening. Golf is NOT a sport, it is a worthless pastime. Get rid.
    Coming a bit late to this debate, but... was never a big fan of golf on the telly, and thought golf on the radio would be pointless. But a US Masters commentary in the mid 90s on 5Live (or was it still Radio 5 at that time) had me hooked on a late Sunday evening, and have loved it ever since! Have been following this thread for a while re various presenters, and seem to be worryingly in agreement with a lot of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG VD is on Newsnight again - needless to say the sexabuse case barrister is the lead story. How on earth does she do it?

She is hopeless. Way out of her depth, and lacks any sense of humour. Nearly as bad as the dull Anita Arnam.

Pax man, Maitlis and Kirsty Walk are big boots to fill.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *paul* wrote: »
    She is hopeless. Way out of her depth, and lacks any sense of humour.

Hasn't affected her radio career.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've given up listening to her show, so can't really comment. She is just so humourless.
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    Do you have the rajar ratings or A mori poll breakdown perhaps of these teen listeners? It would be very interesting to know for sure ......

For Phil Williams - about 3% of the audience are in that age group so about 13,000 a night - not much but probably worth doing something for them...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching VD on Newsnight now. One line sound bites rule.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmlabbd wrote: »
    For Phil Williams - about 3% of the audience are in that age group so about 13,000 a night - not much but probably worth doing something for them...

Thanks......And of that how many pre pubescent/early adolescent females? :p:D

@pc and station I only cite Mumford as one example as accused of knocking UK success there are plenty of others...

I'm not a huge fan but like some of it but yes you can call it snobbery if you like I don't give a jot about that part but I play instruments & yes a band should be a band....this is drivel for young children... on an adult oriented station...

What I pointed out is the BBC doing Cowell s PR for him with his talentless show products....as that's what they are so give it a rest.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is 5live really now reduced to a car mechanic phone in with Bob from Arbroath phoning in to talk about a problem on the filter of his Ford Focus ?

This is like BBC local radio in the 1970's.
  • SJM978SJM978 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Is 5live really now reduced to a car mechanic phone in with Bob from Arbroath phoning in to talk about a problem on the filter of his Ford Focus ?

If Alan Partridge was real...
  • BriantilsleyBriantilsley Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Danny_Fry wrote: »
    I'd stopped listening to 5live Breakfast for over a year. The combination Nicky Campbell or Rachel Burden had made it lurch from fatuous to boorish and Today was a much better option.

Listened to it accidentally yesterday and was really pleasantly surprised. Not sure who presented but it was the aforementioned. Much much insightful and much better produced.

It's so much better with Tony Livesey and Eleanor Oldroyd.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checking
    Is there anyone out there who ptefers Campbell and Burdon to Livesy and Oldroyd?
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checking
    Is there anyone out there who prefers Campbell and Burdon to Livesy and Oldroyd?
  • charon7charon7 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    mmlabbd wrote: »

Phil Williams seems to have developed quite a following among the Teeny Boppers,
  • Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Just checking
    Is there anyone out there who prefers Campbell and Burdon to Livesy and Oldroyd?

Not me - Livesy and Oldroyd have reminded us of what a once unmissable radio programme used to be like. Campbells ego is too big for the show and at the moment his bad days far outweigh the good. Burden is either too in awe of him or too lightweight to keep him in check. It needs a partnership, not an ego and a stooge.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Breakfast was at its best when Julian & Victoria were on it. None of this blokey- bloke pathetic jokes business .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Ian F 2012 wrote: »
    Burden is either too in awe of him or too lightweight to keep him in check. It needs a partnership, not an ego and a stooge.

The moment Shelagh left it was just the Nicky Campbell show, I don't think he had any confidence in Rachel and ended up undermining her.

He just talks over the experts and commentors with his own opinions
  • Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checking

Yes - me.
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checking
    I think I prefer Burden and Livesey to Oldroyd and Livesey. I sometimes think Ellie doesn't work too well with Tony, I prefer the balance when Rachel is the other half.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hawksbee & Jacobs reference! :D;)
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And you know the answer to that perfectly well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You know what lone we usually think alike but I actually quite enjoyed it! :)

I didn't mind it for after midnight it wasn't the worse thing....I'd rather that than another deluded idea like bump club at least.....
    In fact I'm not sure why they don't have a 5th gear/top gear combo style radio feature or regular show on cars and bikes etc.
    I'm sure this would get some decent figures and if not hey ho I'm wrong but otherwise it would be worth a GO... :)

@Paul welcome to the thread and 're VD newsnight .....you are so right ......just refer to the standard newspaper story on VD to find out how she got the gig.....the links further back in the posts :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    You know what lone we usually think alike but I actually quite enjoyed it! :)

I didn't mind it for after midnight it wasn't the worse thing....I'd rather that than another deluded idea like bump club at least.....
    In fact I'm not sure why they don't have a 5th gear/top gear combo style radio feature or regular show on cars and bikes etc.
    I'm sure this would get some decent figures and if not hey ho I'm wrong but otherwise it would be worth a GO... :)

@Paul welcome to the thread and 're VD newsnight .....you are so right ......just refer to the standard newspaper story on VD to find out how she got the gig.....the links further back in the posts :)

Fair comment ! Was much better than hearing Owen Jones, David Banks and the like reviewing papers after midnight. Suppose I'd best move on from criticising them as I'm fed up of bashing the Bishop.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get me started on the Bishop :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair comment ! Was much better than hearing Owen Jones, David Banks and the like reviewing papers after midnight. Suppose I'd best move on from criticising them as I'm fed up of bashing the Bishop.

Ha ha ..Wasn't perfect but wasn't the worst thing they've done! I was happy with it, but they could easily do more consumer items like this and backgrounds to different industries for shoppers etc.....
    Yes made change from banks and Jones......though oj has crawled into red kens slot on LBC on Saturday mornings for now....... :p
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gollum_545 wrote: »
    When are Kermode/Mayo coming back ?

Today
This discussion has been closed.