BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Eric TristowEric Tristow Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems they are just changing their name between 11 and 12 in the evening. Strange!
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the point of 5 live extra :confused:

Anybody hear Peter Allan discuss Alan Pardew's head butt punishment he asked some ex Newcastle person what does he think Pardew should do now for the future his answer was "keep his head low" :D:)
  • jolly turnipjolly turnip Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once again branded as BBC Five Live. Dropped Radio. Top of hour was different at midnight. With news and sport headline ahead of full news bulletin. And then weather as well. Second male voice on TOTH. Is this a trial at night before rollout then?
  • Eric TristowEric Tristow Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once again branded as BBC Five Live. Dropped Radio. Top of hour was different at midnight. With news and sport headline ahead of full news bulletin. And then weather as well. Second male voice on TOTH. Is this a trial at night before rollout then?

With the 20th birthday at the end of the month there may be a change then...but why this change now between 11 and 12? The sudden name change and tweaks to the format make the station sound strange.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    didas wrote: »
    Can't stand Inverdale and can't stand the Cheltenham coverage. Is it really appropriate to give over so much time to a sport that seems solely designed to make bookmakers money? I realise that all sports are bet upon and that in the far east huge wagers are made on football matches, but at least we don't have Alan Green telling us the odds on the game every few seconds. The whole approach to the coverage seems to make it perfectly acceptable or even to encourage the listeners to have a bet.

I hate everything about horse racing. I hate horses, I hate gambling and I hate the upper class tossers who go to it. Worst of all I hate the fact it is such a dull activity (I can't call it a sport). Why it can't go on 5 extra is beyond me.
  • droopsnoutdroopsnout Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there anything you actually like, though, Rodney? And is any of it on Five Live?

Don't get me wrong, horse racing bores me rigid, and the encouragement to gamble argument does find some sympathy here.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    droopsnout wrote: »
    Is there anything you actually like, though, Rodney? And is any of it on Five Live?

Don't get me wrong, horse racing bores me rigid, and the encouragement to gamble argument does find some sympathy here.

Yep, Up all night I like and I don't mind Drive and I find Phil Williams is OK.
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am noticing that there is a bit of tension on the breakfast slot. Rachel Burden seems annoyed about something? I wish Sheila would return alongside Nicky.
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manchester City have got a lot of extra supporters tonight after this statement.

EPL Stat Man ‏@EPLStatman 2h
    So Robbie Savage said he will stop working if City win tonight

Lets hope

1. City win and
    2. He sticks to his word haha
  • droopsnoutdroopsnout Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Up All Night ... Depends who is presenting. I generally enjoy Drive because I like Peter Allen. Phil Williams I used to like when he was covering other presenters, but not really keen on his evening programme.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a classic Derbyshire and her producer one sided hyperbolic load of tosh. They know the school can never respond to an individual pupil's complaint in public.

I noticed all those unchallenged comments as well.
  • jolly turnipjolly turnip Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once again the trial TOTH and news sequence post 11pm is happening it seems.

Third time I've heard it. It's lacking punch - weak and quite Commercial. I'm not against change but hope this trial remains as such and is reworked.
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once again the trial TOTH and news sequence post 11pm is happening it seems.

Third time I've heard it. It's lacking punch - weak and quite Commercial. I'm not against change but hope this trial remains as such and is reworked.

First time I've heard it and I think it is quite punchy, nice short tease ahead followed by snappy news/sport heads and a quick trail....at least the news gets on air nearer the top of the hour. I think it'll get snappier but think it sounds better than what was on before.
  • SJM978SJM978 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I hate everything about horse racing. I hate horses, I hate gambling and I hate the upper class tossers who go to it. Worst of all I hate the fact it is such a dull activity (I can't call it a sport). Why it can't go on 5 extra is beyond me.

I feel much the same way, except I like horses and feel sorry for them being driven to gallop and jump dangerously high fences for the benefit of a load of cheering, well, let's not go there eh?

The worst thing about Cheltenham (apart from the racing itself) is John Hunt's "commentary", excerpts of which the BBC are keen to use to highlight the "quality" of their coverage and the "excitement" of horse racing. However I can't think of a worse type of commentator; a man shouting down the microphone louder AND LOUDER AS THE RACE NEARS ITS END is not good to listen to. Coupled with the fact Inverdale is one of the most smug, insufferable, over-inflated egos on radio and you can see why the Cheltenham festival is not at the top of my listening choices...
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,401
    Forum Member

Phil is ok as long as you don't have to listen to him. He's the Richard Allinson of 5 live safe pair of hands and an ok presenter but bland and dull. He's ok at covering breakfast and drive because there is a co presenter and you don't spend too long in anything, it's fast paced.

Putting him on his own at 10pm has really exposed his weskness as a presenter because he can't do anything more in depth on his own. He's just mr dull and average. Bannister, Bacon and Livsey were all miles better in that slot.
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You may hate horses but a lot of us ate them a couple of years ago.......:)

You could be listening to next years burger....:):)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been listening to Radio 2 in the afternoons all week. I can't think of an annual sporting event that I have less interest in that the Cheltenham Festival. The Open Golf comes a close second but at least you don't have a screaming commentary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I am far from a fan of horse racing, this week, I just prefer it to listening to the normal 5 Live coverage at that time of day.
    I hate everything about horse racing. I hate horses, I hate gambling and I hate the upper class tossers who go to it.

If I said I hated a sport and hated "the working class tossers who go to it", may I ask what your reply would be?
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am noticing that there is a bit of tension on the breakfast slot. Rachel Burden seems annoyed about something? I wish Sheila would return alongside Nicky.

nooooooooo!!!!! :o:o:o:o
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    nooooooooo!!!!! :o:o:o:o
    Oh My! You do you not like Sheila then? LoL.. Or are you sarcastic.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bonus. Listened to Wake Up tp Money and forgot to switch over. Mainly as the new presenter had a pleasant soothing voice. Then it dawned on me it was Eleanor Oldroyd. Making a change from switching over from women sounding like men smokers... Still there is always Lisa Aziz on LBC if/when it does turn rough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burdon oh no! Switched to Lbc... (It was too good to expect a hacking free five live).
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    SJM978 wrote: »
    I feel much the same way, except I like horses and feel sorry for them being driven to gallop and jump dangerously high fences for the benefit of a load of cheering, well, let's not go there eh?

The worst thing about Cheltenham (apart from the racing itself) is John Hunt's "commentary", excerpts of which the BBC are keen to use to highlight the "quality" of their coverage and the "excitement" of horse racing. However I can't think of a worse type of commentator; a man shouting down the microphone louder AND LOUDER AS THE RACE NEARS ITS END is not good to listen to. Coupled with the fact Inverdale is one of the most smug, insufferable, over-inflated egos on radio and you can see why the Cheltenham festival is not at the top of my listening choices...

Hmm ... it depends. I heard their coverage of the big race yesterday and felt the excitement of the commentator near the end was justified. A lot of people will have had a lot of money on the favourite, who lost out. I believe Paddy Power alone made £5 million. Now if he's commentating like that on every single race, including some 1.30pm one that about two people have got their cash on, I'd agree with you.

On the racing in the afternoon, I've always found it odd that it wipes out the 5 Live schedule. However it is only for a week or so, and there seems to be some demand for it.

Horse racing itself I've always found a tricky one. If anyone can give me a genuine answer as to what would happen to all the horses if we suddenly banned the sport - I don't believe for one second they'd all immediately happily find new owners, and I certainly couldn't take one in my flat - then I'd be relatively happy to defer to them. Otherwise, however, it speaks to our hypocrisy as a society that we're happy to eat meat (animals killed in often fairly horrible conditions) and don't care about many animals, but when we see a cute fox or horse in trouble we react badly. I include myself in that hypocrisy by the way.
  • brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I question the need to air cheltenham festival on 5live to pre empty the day time schedule only to give bacon a week off work and forgary to get off early i mean isnt what 5live sport extra for not many people want to hear run by run commentry of cheltenham for a week why not have the full program on sports extra

its on 5live only to give presenters a week off or a few hrs ealry off bacon the worse offender only work 1 day this week his life must be suite work 1 day this week and get rest of the week off easy life
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derbyshire cuts across a waiting Lord Trimble about to start an epitaph. Hear 11.59 Friday.
This discussion has been closed.