BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I came across an interesting article quoting the complacent 5 live controller today. They picked a great photo of him for the head of the article:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/mar/23/radio-5-live-jonathan-wall-bbc-20-years?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

He's pretty much spent all his working life in BBC radio, and with 5 live in particular.
    To borrow from CLR James - "what do they know of cricket who only cricket know?"
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded the last 90 minutes of the webcam and might pop it on YouTube. :)

Jane is a good newsreader.

Great, that would be brilliant, I watched some of it on the webcam, I don't think they had that the last time Jane was on Drive.

I thought she was going to slap Peter when he was goading her about Woman's Hour :)
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Is Faye Ruscoe related to Cybil Ruscoe?
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/5live/posts/Radio-5-live-celebrates-20-years

A blog celebrating 20 years of 5live and half of it is taken up with Wall writing about himself. Another one on a massive ego trip . Who is interested ? What about a mention for Fi Glover ?

There seems to be one hell of a angry contributor to the comments section. :)

Minions ? :) That's a bit harsh ?

I'm writing to the BBC's Ian Fletcher, Head of Values to complain !
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These new preset station dab radios help terrifically. Able to switch back and forth between
    national Lbc, Talksport and Five. The radio is increasingly on the two former stations as Five persists with a very tired and stale weekday daytime dross. Having the excellent Peter Allen go cfrom pillar to post does not change things.

I think Talksport should be Talkfootball as they never cover other sport.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) I remember those two posters, they used to post on the old BBC Radio message boards .

Jane Garvey said on Twitter that Peter's the best, & she doesn't know where he gets his energy from, she was exhausted by the end of Drive !
  • Andy WalmsleyAndy Walmsley Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fascinated to read that nearly all the 20 years of output had been retained on tape or disc and is now digitised:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/informationandarchives/archivenews/2014/bbc_archives_bbcradio5live_at20.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to hear some of those.

This is good :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01wf7ff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Has been great to hear Sir Peter on different shows over the past week, being an improvement to the normal presenters on virtually every one - he was even an improvement on his normal self yesterday evening :) If only Jane Garvey would return to Drive.....
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,474
    Forum Member
    Not quite fair. I did hear them talking about the T20 yesterday. Though they did not know they used a white ball. :D
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rugby. Fishing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iandun wrote: »
    Has been great to hear Sir Peter on different shows over the past week, being an improvement to the normal presenters on virtually every one - he was even an improvement on his normal self yesterday evening :) If only Jane Garvey would return to Drive.....

She won't though, because they're in Salford :(
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    She won't though, because they're in Salford :(

Doesn't seem to stop Derbyshire....she's not in Salford either...... :p

And yes curmy and Cyril that Carrie and Fedster have been at it on the BBC boards at each other for ages....Fedster is like our lost and forgotten BBC apologist mapperley...

She does write well though and amazed she's not been blocked by mods off the BBC boards :D
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,401
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to stop Derbyshire....she's not in Salford either...... :p

D

Neither is Rhod Sharp or Simon Mayo. Bacon is often in London and various weekend shows come from London too. Funny how Victoria is always singled out on here despite her location making no difference at all to the output.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's up. :D

i hour 42 minutes, Peter Allen and Jane Garvey come together for one final BBC Radio Five Live Show, to celebrate the radio station's 20th birthday. ENJOY! And savour!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-btoXic-GA&feature=youtu.be
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,036
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    Neither is Rhod Sharp or Simon Mayo. Bacon is often in London and various weekend shows come from London too. Funny how Victoria is always singled out on here despite her location making no difference at all to the output.

Bacon's show really should come from London as he would be able to do far more interviews face to face - most of his current guests are sat in a studio in London whilst he is in Salford, its pointless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can daytime Radio 5 survive when up against these national dab radio stations?
    Lbc TalkSport 5
    Brazil Steve Allen Burdon/Campbell
    Colin Murray Nick Ferrari Derbyshire
    Hawksbee & J Julia Hartley-B Fogerty
    Bacon
    Lbc has Boris Johnson, Clegg (spit) and Farage too.
    Plus there is Radio 2, 4 and Classic also to compeye with.
    No small wonder 5 refuses to publish rating figures for individual programmes within the schedule despite them being available...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's up.

i hour 42 minutes, Peter Allen and Jane Garvey come together for one final BBC Radio Five Live Show, to celebrate the radio station's 20th birthday. ENJOY! And savour!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-bt...ature=youtu.be

Thanks GB, you're a star :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry GB I can't find it :(
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    Sorry GB I can't find it :(

New link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-btoXic-GA

I think that was a temporary link while uploading. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks GB, I did find it eventually by google their names on youtube !
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    .Fedster is like our lost and forgotten BBC apologist mapperley...

It' s strange but I do feel the presence of the latter you mentioned around this thread somewhere. :)

Whoops that's me done for :)
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Not quite fair. I did hear them talking about the T20 yesterday. Though they did not know they used a white ball. :D

That would be quite a amusing listen actually, I think they be back to talking about footie now through :D
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only we could get the carers and home help on zero hours/minim wage in this country to work as hard as these BBC 5 live presenters and their massive wages, gold plated pensions and two hour day.

We had some excuse for a southern BBC clown to inform us in the last ten minutes that we should all be eternally grateful to the BBC even if we never use it and the fact they ship up London presenters to Salford at great expense really does mean the BBC is representing the North of the country. Even Peter Allen didn't believe the guff fed to him by the fool and knows that the BBC license fee is thankfully on it's way out.>:(

A week of being told how great they all are really grinds,self praise is no praise.>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only we could get the carers and home help on zero hours/minim wage in this country to work as hard as these BBC 5 live presenters and their massive wages, gold plated pensions and two hour day.

We had some excuse for a southern BBC clown to inform us in the last ten minutes that we should all be eternally grateful to the BBC even if we never use it and the fact they ship up London presenters to Salford at great expense really does mean the BBC is representing the North of the country. Even Peter Allen didn't believe the guff fed to him by the fool and knows that the BBC license fee is thankfully on it's way out.>:(

A week of being told how great they all are really grinds,self praise is no praise.>:(

Must be an easy number; when none of them are rushing to do a Suzanna Reid... Mind, probably no one would want them.
This discussion has been closed.