BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bored with this child abuse mass hysteria right wing crap, All bbc and commercial stations banging on this such a ploy to distract us from real world news something the media and government don't us to find out. Can people stop phoning in these talk stations and chatting about this subject. One suggestion is have al lie detector test for every victim and abuser.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent first hour with Peter Allen this morning with three experts discussing the ISIS/Al Qaeda/ history. No confrontation, no shouting, just a tremendously informative hour without a misery victim/ whiner/self pitying loser to be heard

Nolan loves to pan his shows out. Every week there's a 'here's another chance to hear an extraordinary caller from last night......' then proceed to wring another 45 minutes out of it
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Redunited wrote: »
    Bored with this child abuse mass hysteria right wing crap, All bbc and commercial stations banging on this such a ploy to distract us from real world news something the media and government don't us to find out. Can people stop phoning in these talk stations and chatting about this subject. One suggestion is have al lie detector test for every victim and abuser.

*pops nose in to see if thread has become any more sensible since the last time he had a look. Notices message above. Shakes head and walks out again*
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redunited wrote: »

Oh dear
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,035
    Forum Member
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    *pops nose in to see if thread has become any more sensible since the last time he had a look. Notices message above. Shakes head and walks out again*

Sadly maybe that just sums up the general attitude on such an issue hence people getting away and/or covering up those offences for so long?

Its certainly news worthy - people will have different views on what is and isn't of course but most would agree trying to prevent another Rotherham type situation is pretty important.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent first hour with Peter Allen this morning with three experts discussing the ISIS/Al Qaeda/ history. No confrontation, no shouting, just a tremendously informative hour without a misery victim/ whiner/self pitying loser to be heard

Nolan loves to pan his shows out. Every week there's a 'here's another chance to hear an extraordinary caller from last night......' then proceed to wring another 45 minutes out of it

I much prefer listenening to broad panels on subjects. IMO this is far superior to listening to Mo from Wandsworth and Carol from Barnet.
  • radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    With reference to the "Nolan sobfest"...I always get the impression that Stephen Nolan's interviews are aimed at two things. To get the story onto a news bulletin and ultimately to get an award.

The listener, the guest, the subject, the co-presenter, the BBC and the wider world are irrelevant to him...he just wants the next award. Sadly, his form of journalism tends to do just that...goodness knows why, but it does. And nobody gets them crying better than Nolan and Nolan knows that.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radiotuner wrote: »
    With reference to the "Nolan sobfest"...I always get the impression that Stephen Nolan's interviews are aimed at two things. To get the story onto a news bulletin and ultimately to get an award.

The listener, the guest, the subject, the co-presenter, the BBC and the wider world are irrelevant to him...he just wants the next award. Sadly, his form of journalism tends to do just that...goodness knows why, but it does. And nobody gets them crying better than Nolan and Nolan knows that.
    Yes, I'll never forget the interviews he did after the Boston Marathon bombing. He happened to be in the city when the bombs went off and was soon interviewing people in the aftermath of the bombing. He was deliberately setting out to make people cry - and he succeeded. One woman he was interviewing was reduced to a sobbing wreck, which is what he wanted, as was obvious from his line of questioning and fake empathy. The woman wanted to talk about what she'd witnessed and Nolan just tried, and succeeded, in getting her to talk about her feelings. He deliberately pushed her into crying. I remember being disgusted with him. And of course the interview then made all the news bulletins on 5 Live for the rest of that day.

I wasn't the only one who was disgusted by him https://www.facebook.com/5live/posts/10151534906711108
  • Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    I am not the greatest fan of Gary Richardson, who seems to spend most of his programme fishing for quotes that 5 Live can then use for the rest of the day, but I thought his interview with Michael Parkinson about Muhammed Ali yesterday was first class.Parkinson was very sympathetic, but critical when he needed to be. All in all good radio, and a cut above some of the stuff he does.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree about Peter Allen & Nolan !
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was at it again last night. I gather there was an incident in a Harvester restaurant and the mother of the child involved (who didn't want to get involved in the restaurant) took it upon herself to get involved with the media. Cue Nolan at his worst, not asking a single challenging question, then repeating the bloody interview later in the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, I heard a bit of that & then changed stations !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »

You were not alone!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member

I used to be a devotee of 5-live evening/night broadcasting, and pretty much exactly when Stephen Nolan started I turned it off and have never gone back to weekend night-time listening. I still enjoy Phil Williams but by virtue of finding something else to listen to over the weekend (podcasts and audio books) I find I listen to PW much less too. Ditto for up-all-night. I still normally re-tune in the morning to listen to breakfast (pre 7am), but I also flick to Today. Stephen Nolan single-handedly stopped me listening to the station and not just his show. In my opinion, it is just horrible broadcasting.

I see from the comments in here on a regular basis that he hasn't changed from my early impressions.

Given that so many in here also actively dislike his form of radio, and it is good to know I am not alone, how did he keep his job in the refresh? Who does like it? and why?
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,035
    Forum Member

Presume he will earn less now ITV have lost the FA Cup and next season the Champions league?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be a devotee of 5-live evening/night broadcasting, and pretty much exactly when Stephen Nolan started I turned it off and have never gone back to weekend night-time listening. I still enjoy Phil Williams but by virtue of finding something else to listen to over the weekend (podcasts and audio books) I find I listen to PW much less too. Ditto for up-all-night. I still normally re-tune in the morning to listen to breakfast (pre 7am), but I also flick to Today. Stephen Nolan single-handedly stopped me listening to the station and not just his show. In my opinion, it is just horrible broadcasting.

I see from the comments in here on a regular basis that he hasn't changed from my early impressions.

Given that so many in here also actively dislike his form of radio, and it is good to know I am not alone, how did he keep his job in the refresh? Who does like it? and why?

It's a complete mystery how he kept his job, I can only assume he knows where all the bodies are buried at the Beeb :D
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member

I have no idea and have to admit I still listen if I can't find anything else. I get really annoyed with the way we have to listen to repeats of things that he thinks are sensational.

He wasn't in the Salford studios all weekend and who could tell the difference? He said he was in Belfast, so why can't he always do his programme from there if they insist on keeping him on.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,401
    Forum Member

The reason is that he is good and very popular. The fact that a few people on here dislike him means nothing. Listeners probably like him.

Usually the rule is if Digital Spy hate someone the general public like them.

Look at the fuss made on here about Richard Allinson who was one of dullest and blabdest presenters on Radio 2.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I also used to thoroughly enjoy Saturday and Sunday 5live evenings unless golf or tennis was on ... zzzzzzz... but Nolan has made it unlistenable.....it is a total mystery why but as with a lot of BBC it's not what you know but who.....there's no other explanation it's the same as lady Derbyshire and her long tenure........

and then you have the added BBC problem of :o we've agreed a ridiculous arrangement at vast expense and salary where we ship him over each week (though not being there this weekend means maybe they don't have to....though that's in conflict with broadcasting from Salford of course... :confused: ....and we think he's the bee's knees so let's use him bloody everywhere on the schedule :blush::(

It was a mortal embarrassment during election times etc. before when he didn't actually know where Southampton was for example as he has little UK geographical knowledge to a point where it's cringeworthy for a national psb station....and on QT extra pienaar just exposes him for the bumbling fool he is....
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bloke Nolan interviewed last night, the teacher accused of sex offences . We've all heard him on 5ive phone-ins lots of times. Turns out he is somehow employed by the BBC? How can he be introduced as a normal member of the public? If he is an employee, or has some association with them, why is he not introduced as such? How many more of the "regulars" we hear, are actually BBC plants?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davestoke wrote: »
    The bloke Nolan interviewed last night, the teacher accused of sex offences . We've all heard him on 5ive phone-ins lots of times. Turns out he is somehow employed by the BBC? How can he be introduced as a normal member of the public? If he is an employee, or has some association with them, why is he not introduced as such? How many more of the "regulars" we hear, are actually BBC plants?

It wasn't Simon Warr the teacher from Ipswich was it ? the person who's just had the charges against him dismissed.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    The reason is that he is good and very popular. The fact that a few people on here dislike him means nothing. Listeners probably like him.

Usually the rule is if Digital Spy hate someone the general public like them.
    Agreed. As a rule I've noticed it's similar with tv progs. When FMs en masse knock a prog, or say how useless a particular actor is, I usually find it's completely the opposite, and vice-versa. I just read DS comments more out of bewildered amusement these days. :D
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason I enjoyed the Nolan shows was the debate on the top news stories. This was dropped from weekday evenings so the only good debates were at the weekend. Although I still listen because there are some debates I find there are too many misery items and too many repeats creeping in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't Simon Warr the teacher from Ipswich was it ? the person who's just had the charges against him dismissed.

Yes it was and as much as I dislike Noilan, he did say the bloke had worked on the BBC before.
This discussion has been closed.