Options

Cucumber Banana Tofu

Comments

• Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    There have been LGBT shows in the 15 years since Queer as Folk like Will and Grace, The L Word, The New Normal, Vicious and Looking for example.

I'm not sure that Cucumber and Banana are to be ground breaking but I imagine RTD isn't aiming it to be.

Not British ones is what I meant. Those are all American, apart from Vicious which I hadn't come across before. (I did think this was a British forum mainly)

Also something else that came to me to check; it will be good if Cucumber Banana Tofu has gay characters played by actual gay people. (or if it's a real-life/reality series). I just looked up Queer as Folk and the three main gay characters were all played by straight actors. Although they played the parts very well!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Queer As Folk with a touch of Skins and Pulling.

There have been many shows looking at the issue of developing sexuality such as Skins and the awkward side of inter-generational/interracial/same sex relationships (Shameless, Lip Service, Me and Mrs Jones, Linda Green), there's going to be be The Line of Beauty about London in the 80s about private school boys from Oxford having gay relationships... there making a gay spy drama too. Not a drama with a spy who happens to be gay, the emphasis is on the "it's different because they're gay" aspect of it.

I'm all for proportional representation but this isn't new, it's just more of it across three channels by the guy who trod this turf when it actually was fresh, new and challenging. I'm sure there will be some good performances but this screams of a gimmick where they've tried to make more out of one single idea, like that Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not British ones is what I meant. Those are all American, apart from Vicious which I hadn't come across before. (I did think this was a British forum mainly)

Also something else that came to me to check; it will be good if Cucumber Banana Tofu has gay characters played by actual gay people. (or if it's a real-life/reality series). I just looked up Queer as Folk and the three main gay characters were all played by straight actors. Although they played the parts very well!

Andrew Hayden Smith who's in Banana is gay but the main characters in Cucumber are played by straight actors but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, the initials of the three shows (CBT) is an acronym for a sexual act.

I'm looking forward to it. Should be good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Also, the initials of the three shows (CBT) is an acronym for a sexual act.

I'm looking forward to it. Should be good.

So is it about the state of a man's erection in three stages, cock and ball torture or cognitive behavioral therapy?
  • Options
    DCM10DCM10 Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should be interesting, looking forward to it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    No such thing as a gay community either. People are individuals.

I agree. In fact, most use of the word "community" is unthinking gibberish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    How do you know when it's not even been on yet?

I've seen the ads and I can see the mindset of those behind it with the stupid names and their meanings.

Nope, not interested.
  • Options
    ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lip Service.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »
    I've seen the ads and I can see the mindset of those behind it with the stupid names and their meanings.

Nope, not interested.

I'm going to watch it first before I make up my mind! Trailers don't always give the full picture.

Apparently the "stupid names" originated in a Chinese scientific study of impotence.
    http://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/05/sex-study-spotlights-erectile-dysfunction-in-china/
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, looks like its crap for eight year old hipster wannabes.

Boring. Clichéd. Nonsense.

What on earth is an eight year old hipster wannabe:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PoppySeed wrote: »
    What on earth is an eight year old hipster wannabe:confused:

I was wondering that too!
  • Options
    DCM10DCM10 Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was wondering that too!

Me too :)
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any interest that might have been deeply buried was destroyed by their ridiculous insistence on throwing the titles into everything else. It became so annoying that I have no interest in what it's all about. I'd rather watch the cats lick their behinds.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of barely concealed homophobia on this thread already, I'm straight but I might have it whirl, it looks quite lively.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pork.pie wrote: »
    Any interest that might have been deeply buried was destroyed by their ridiculous insistence on throwing the titles into everything else.
    I don't know what that means, sorry!
  • Options
    TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    A lot of barely concealed homophobia on this thread already

I don't see any.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe its just standard DS crankiness.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what that means, sorry!

During links at the back end of last year, Channel 4 constantly replaced words with cucumber, banana or tofu... which was lame at first, and gradually became more and more annoying. If you have to push something so hard, it's probably going to be a load of old tosh, not that I plan to find out, like I said... we got sick of hearing about it at times when there was no need for it be mentioned. Randomly changing a word to 'cucumber' in an intro for Countdown is pretty pointless... and it wasn't once of twice either , they kept doing it, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, see... pretty pointless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see any.

There isn't any.

But there is always one who jumps on a PC bandwagon. "You MUST like LGBT programming or you're homophobic".

Its akin to the idiots who call those who detest the actions of the Israeli state as "anti-semitic".

These people aren't worth engaging with, they have issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pork.pie wrote: »
    During links at the back end of last year, Channel 4 constantly replaced words with cucumber, banana or tofu... which was lame at first, and gradually became more and more annoying.

OK - I've never heard any of those links.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought RTD said he would never work for C4 again, after they cancelled the spin off series from Queer As Folk?
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't any.

But there is always one who jumps on a PC bandwagon. "You MUST like LGBT programming or you're homophobic".

Its akin to the idiots who call those who detest the actions of the Israeli state as "anti-semitic".

These people aren't worth engaging with, they have issues.

So what is an eight year old hipster wannabe, im still wondering:confused:
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    A lot of barely concealed homophobia on this thread already, I'm straight but I might have it whirl, it looks quite lively.

Here we go anyone who hasn't immediately expressed that this will be the greatest television event in history and missing it should be made a capital offence is always going to tarred with the brush of homophobia.

Not for me, so sue me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    Here we go anyone who hasn't immediately expressed that this will be the greatest television event in history and missing it should be made a capital offence is always going to tarred with the brush of homophobia.

Not for me, so sue me.

That's quite an overreaction! So far just one poster (who happens to be straight) has suggested that there might be an element of homophobia in the dismissal of these programmes before they've even been on.
This discussion has been closed.