Options

Florence and the Machine absolutely outstanding!!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely the best guest so far, her album so deserves to be where it is now in the charts, #1 amazing!

Never really been a fan, all that You've got the Love stuff was irritating beyond words - but I was totally blown away by her voice and that song last night.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most overrated act in history. That godawful caterwauling of hers is like nails down a knackered blackboard. That she is so popular just shows that the record-buying public have no idea what good music sounds like.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to mute her - it was hurting my ears !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    People on here are crazy! I really have no idea how people can say this woman can't sing :confused: The way she sings may not be to your personal liking, but she definitely can definitely hold a note, better than anyone on this show. Bizarre!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laura:) wrote: »
    People on here are crazy! I really have no idea how people can say this woman can't sing :confused: The way she sings may not be to your personal liking, but she definitely can definitely hold a note, better than anyone on this show. Bizarre!
    There's a big difference between being able to sing and having the ability to make a noise to which it's pleasant to listen.

By the way: she sang the opening acapella section live; the rest was lip-synched.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    craftwerc wrote: »
    There's a big difference between being able to sing and having the ability to make a noise to which it's pleasant to listen.

By the way: she sang the opening acapella section live; the rest was lip-synched.

It's pleasant to listen to to most people, except a few on here claiming she is tone deaf and can't hold a note, which is clearly incorrect. I don't care if she did mime, I've heard her live many times before and she is an outstanding singer. If people don't like her style of singing then that's fair enough, but to say she can't sing is completely wrong. I don't personally like the way Beyonce sings, but she is technically a very good singer, I can't deny that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pleasant to listen to to most people, except a few on here claiming she is tone deaf and can't hold a note, which is clearly incorrect. I don't care if she did mime, I've heard her live many times before and she is an outstanding singer. If people don't like her style of singing then that's fair enough, but to say she can't sing is completely wrong. I don't personally like the way Beyonce sings, but she is technically a very good singer, I can't deny that.
    'Technically...' Therein lies the problem. She is utterly devoid of anything approaching soul or feeling. It's all technique; vocal masturbation of the very worst kind. Quite ghastly.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It certainly seems to have! I love her music and loved that performance but it never ceases to amaze me peoples inability to understand that not everyone likes the same thing. That doesn't make it rubbish or dreadful but simply not to your taste. Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the exact same things / JLS.
    (I tease - I am very fond of JLS and clearly they are very good at what they do - I wouldn't buy their album but that is just me.)

It goes both ways - just because you like it doesn't mean it was great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    'Technically...' Therein lies the problem. She is utterly devoid of anything approaching soul or feeling. It's all technique; vocal masturbation of the very worst kind. Quite ghastly.

Well I respectfully disagree, I think she is technically a great singer and I love the way she sings. But people are entitled to their opinions, not everyone likes the same thing, would be boring if we all did :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Go with the Flo !!!!!! A Legend in the making......... look at my work you mighty and despair......now take note children this is how to sing !!!!! This is how to hold an audience in the palm of your hands and this is how to give a theatrical performance ....and for those of you who thought she was miming I would suggest you have a wee listen to her singing on Fri Night Jools Holland
  • Options
    Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Florence is devoid of soul or feeling?

I've really heard some nonsense on this forum but this takes the absolute biscuit.

As for your "pleasant" comment, if you want "pleasant" music I suggest you go and ask your mum if you can borrow her Corrs CD!

Florence is entirely about emotion, raw, direct, passionate, stirring emotion. She literally pours herself into each song which is why sometimes, she doesn't control her voice in a way that a mass "drooling and dribbling over one direction" may understand.

But hey she's not going to please everyone. And not everyone is going to have the emotional maturity and ability to connect with a singer doing that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_X_123 wrote: »

Florence is entirely about emotion, raw, direct, passionate, stirring emotion. She literally pours herself into each song which is why sometimes, she doesn't control her voice in a way that a mass "drooling and dribbling over one direction" may understand.
    I've really heard some nonsense on this forum but this takes the absolute biscuit.

Despite my lifetime devoted to music (work, rest and play) I cannot fathom why anyone would spend their hard-earned on the screeching cacophony that emanates from this grisly woman's mush. She's not about emotion in the slightest; she's about the worst kind of lowest-common denominator 'product', pile it high, sell it cheap nonsense masquerading as 'substance' that I've ever seen. One Direction make no claims to be anything but what they are - music for pre-pubescent girls. Florence is a snake-oil seller. The sooner she's found out, the better for all of us when we won't have to be subjected to her horrid noise a moment longer.
  • Options
    Jells BellsJells Bells Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    It goes both ways - just because you like it doesn't mean it was great.

I completely agree. It was marvellous to me and I happy to accept it was hideous to someone else. But I certainly won't argue about it in much the same way I wouldn't argue with someone whose favourite colour is Blue whereas mine is Purple. Infact I adore the fact we can all think very different things. I do get riled though when one is chastised for having different taste to someone else, I much prefer the wide eyed awe of amazement that life can throw up such inconsistancies!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely agree. It was marvellous to me and I happy to accept it was hideous to someone else. But I certainly won't argue about it in much the same way I wouldn't argue with someone whose favourite colour is Blue whereas mine is Purple. Infact I adore the fact we can all think very different things. I do get riled though when one is chastised for having different taste to someone else, I much prefer the wide eyed awe of amazement that life can throw up such inconsistancies!
    Purple? Are you MENTAL?!
  • Options
    Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Despite my lifetime devoted to music (work, rest and play) I cannot fathom why anyone would spend their hard-earned on the screeching cacophony that emanates from this grisly woman's mush. She's not about emotion in the slightest; she's about the worst kind of lowest-common denominator 'product', pile it high, sell it cheap nonsense masquerading as 'substance' that I've ever seen. One Direction make no claims to be anything but what they are - music for pre-pubescent girls. Florence is a snake-oil seller. The sooner she's found out, the better for all of us when we won't have to be subjected to her horrid noise a moment longer.

Ah I see its now you're trying to beat her with the "successful" stick.

I've seen her break down on stage so wrapped up in a song she has been.

I've no doubt that next you'll criticise her for being posh, going to private school, for not coming from a council estate in Salford, and ultimately for having the audacity for being a woman and singing loud, AND managing to sell records.

Heard it all before. Fact is she connects with her audience, makes music people want to buy and has an ever growing fan base, who clearly do not agree with the likes of you.

Ultimately she has honed her craft from years of small gigs and festival appearances has found her sound, has made records and sold a lot of them. Now ultimately that is the point.

If it doesn't happen to suit your own musical moral compass then so be it, but she's winning either way!
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JLS look good, they sang averagely and I've heard them sing better live before.

Florence looked awful and sang really well ( in the first half).

Maybe they should get her a new stylist?
  • Options
    Jells BellsJells Bells Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Purple? Are you MENTAL?!

Oh alright.... it's blue and JLS should be knighted....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JLS look good, they sang averagely and I've heard them sing better live before.

Florence looked awful and sang really well ( in the first half).

Maybe they should get her a new stylist?
    JLS were miming.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible make-up. She looked very manish.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love her. She's a proper artist who creates amazing music. Lungs is one of my favourite albums, and I'm getting into Ceremonials as we speak. She's fantastic.

I totally get why some don't like her voice, I guess it's an acquired taste. But the fact is that she can sing very well and doesn't just release music that sounds like everything else. I love that it's ethereal and haunting.
  • Options
    George7George7 Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me and the Mrs thought Flo was pretty dire.

Flo should have asked Kitty to sing it instead; it would have been much better...
  • Options
    ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    Conehead wrote: »
    Good performance - should introduce her to a lot of viewers who wouldn't normally hear her stuff.

Trouble is they, like me, will be hiding behind the sofa for a week.

Stephen King should write a novel around her.
  • Options
    linc52linc52 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she was outstanding
  • Options
    rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member

THIS! it amazes me!!!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    I consider myself to be quite open-minded when it comes to music, but I must admit I don't understand the hype about Florence. I think her music is completely over-rated, from what I've seen (and I admit it's only a little) she doesn't seem to be a particularly engaging performer and I find the whole concept of 'the Machine' quite pretentious. I thought the performance on Saturday night was horrendously boring and in my opinion, she did not sound particularly good, which could be explained away perhaps if it was live, but if she was miming, as has been suggested, then she has no excuse.

On the other hand, my husband thought it was wonderful. He heard something completely different to me and thought she was an outstanding singer and said the song was his new favourite. Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we all thought the same?! :D