Interview advice/tips needed please !!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
Forum Member
I had an interview recently and it went absolutely awful, even though I was prepared, I answered really badly, think of the worst possible thing anyone could do in an interview and it's likely that I did it at least once. It was so embarassing and I didn't sell myself very well at all. In fact I said some things which I told my parents about later and they said "Oh no, you didn't say that did you?" :eek::o I am soo disappointed in myself because my mind went completely blank and I know that I could have done so much better.
I was just wondering if anyone could give me any tips, as I have 2 more interviews coming up soon. I tried googling but it was all US stuff, dunno whether it's appropriate. One thing I was debating on was whether I should shake their hands first as soon as I go in, however my parents told me that it may appear to them that I view myself as important. So when I went to this interview I was waiting for them to shake my hand and tbh I think they were expecting me to do it first because there was an awkward silence. :o Thanks for any responses.

Comments

• Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I enjoy Interviews, they are easy. The most important thing is to try and relax and be confident. Just think that you are interviewing them to see if their job is worth your time and if you don't get it then its no big deal.

Know your field and have answers to all the common interview questions in your head ready to go. This will massively add to your confidence. Also make sure you know as much as possible about the company as this will give you better responses and questions to ask.

Even if an interview goes badly, just think of it as practice, learn from your mistakes and don't make them again. Within a few interviews you will be pretty good an firing back answers to most things.

Regarding shaking hands, i would always go straight in for a handshake when introduced to anyone in an interview scenario. The worst thing you can do is stand there awkwardly wondering what to do.
  • Amy76Amy76 Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear your interview didn't go well. I hate interviews - it's just the worst! I am now in a post where I sometimes interview others, and you can sooo tell when someone has not prepared or when they clearly have not thought about what they might be asked.

My tips for interviews is as soon as you know you have got an interview is to write a list of any possible question you think you might be asked. I know it's hard to anticipate exactly what you will get asked, but there are loads of standard questions that you get at most interviews. Also I have found that these days you get asked for examples of a time when you have dealt with certain scenarios, like dealing with a difficult customer, or solving a problem using your intiative or whatever, and they want an actual example.

I prepare a big load of answers that could cover various possible questions and I practice saying them out loud so that I sound natural, so that I will not get caught out with not being able to think of something on the spot.

My last interview (me going for a job) was in April last year and I got the job. I did exactly what I have said above and I feel that knowing I had an answer for every eventuality made me appear more confident.

And when they ask at the end if you have any questions for them, make sure you have a couple prepared so you sound interested.

As for the handshake, I don't like shaking hands, I feel that is only suitable for two men, but I still do it in interviews so that I look confident. I especially feel weird shaking hands with another woman.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I interview people and a handshake and maintaining eye contact are 2 things I look for as it's a sign of confidence and generally I find these people interview well. Sell yourself, talk about what you have done and what you are good at. If you talk about a group project talk about your part in it. I always ask what a person doesn't like doing and how they feel they could change that. A good answer on that question always scores well, some interviews go badly lord knows I've interviews badly enough times myself but stick at it and dint over complicate things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Hi
    I interview people a lot as part of my job. Interview technique is something that gets better with practice but you do need to make sure that you have researched the company and that you are aware of what the job role involves.
    I think one of the worst things a candidate can do is jnterupt the person asking a question, so make sure you listen carefully to the question being asked before you attempt to answer it, this will make you less likely to ramble off topic.
    When you are being asked questions, try to give examples of your experience in your answers.
    Always go for the handshake, it creates a professional image which is what interviewers are looking for.
    If you can have some questions prepared to ask the interviewer it shows genuine interest in the job.
    At the end of the interview thank them for seeing you.
    Hope this helps!
  • GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    I always ask what a person doesn't like doing and how they feel they could change that. .

Out of interest, what if somebody has very good reasons for not liking something and so does not want to change it ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it shows confidence and professionalism to go straight in with a nice firm handshake. But firm! The worst thing in the world is someone who grabs the tip of your fingers and wiggles them about. Grasp the full hand firmly but not too tight.