Options

Marilyn - Home and Away - Why No Proper Storylines?

mimi123456mimi123456 Posts: 2,328
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why is she just a filler? She never has any proper storylines anymore. She was with Sid and the Walkers, and then there was the child adopting/fostering thing, but since then, all she does is flounce about in the background tottering on her high heels all over the place.

I absolutely heart Marilyn, but if she is just going to bounce around doing nothing, I would rather they get rid of her.

Comments

• Options
    S-JoS-Jo Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    I have a question-when she first came back she had terminal cancer in which her friend (a psycic) told her she had a date in which she would die but it turned out that it was her friend who would die, does Marilyn not have cancer anymore? Just seems forgotten about as she never mentions that she still has cancer and has not shown any signs of suffering from it?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S-Jo wrote: »
    I have a question-when she first came back she had terminal cancer in which her friend (a psycic) told her she had a date in which she would die but it turned out that it was her friend who would die, does Marilyn not have cancer anymore? Just seems forgotten about as she never mentions that she still has cancer and has not shown any signs of suffering from it?!

Cancer has probably gone for now. I know she mentioned it when she was helping Irene out. I did not watch it when she returned, but did read some stuff on Wiki.
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    mimi123456 wrote: »
    Why is she just a filler? She never has any proper storylines anymore. She was with Sid and the Walkers, and then there was the child adopting/fostering thing, but since then, all she does is flounce about in the background tottering on her high heels all over the place.

I absolutely heart Marilyn, but if she is just going to bounce around doing nothing, I would rather they get rid of her.

Marilyn was at the forefront of the show throughout 2010 and a good deal of 2011. I'm enjoying her now because she wasn't very likable during the baby story but is back to herself now. And her and Roo make a fantastic double act
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadRomance wrote: »
    And her and Roo make a fantastic double act

They do indeed. Some proper comedy moments. But it's like Marilyn is Roo's backing dancer. Giver her a story line too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marilyn was at the forefront of the show throughout 2010 and a good deal of 2011. I'm enjoying her now because she wasn't very likable during the baby story but is back to herself now. And her and Roo make a fantastic double act

I agree but Emily Symons is one of Home and Away's best actresses and they should be using her more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure a story will come for Marilyn in time. All characters, especially those over 40, get resting periods. At least we still see her and get to enjoy her. Irene went through a period of about 5 years of just serving coffee so at least we can be thankful that Marilyn is still involved
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure a story will come for Marilyn in time. All characters, especially those over 40, get resting periods. At least we still see her and get to enjoy her. Irene went through a period of about 5 years of just serving coffee so at least we can be thankful that Marilyn is still involved

Well not all of them. Sid Walker is over 40 (Ruby is about 25 I assume), and he is constantly given storylines.
  • Options
    gamernewbiegamernewbie Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Was the cancer not all in marilyns head? I thought she was never actually properly diagnosed
  • Options
    Jadelyn09Jadelyn09 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the same thing yesterday. I love Marilyn and she definitely needs a storyline of her own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jadelyn09 wrote: »
    I thought the same thing yesterday. I love Marilyn and she definitely needs a storyline of her own.

Woooo! Join Team Marilyn. :D:D

Don't get me wrong, I love her being really over the top and "camp" with her "woooo" and "helloooooooos" and hand and eye gestures but she is so much more than just some floozy that flounces about in the background.

I'm not a long term Home and Away fan and I don't know what happened with the cancer storyline, but why did they bring her back if she was just going to be part of the furniture?
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind filling her :D

Shes needs a good storyline though, as shes a good character.
  • Options
    MontyDMontyD Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I totally agree it is time she got a storyline but I would rather have a little Marilyn than no Marilyn at all. :)
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably due to the fact as with most characters over the age of 40 in soap they are just their to support the storylines of younger characters. Australian soaps are the worst for this, the limited amount of characters over the age of 40 are seen to do nothing but pander to the youth
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cancer has probably gone for now. I know she mentioned it when she was helping Irene out. I did not watch it when she returned, but did read some stuff on Wiki.

I thought that she didn't have cancer this time. Her friend just told her she was going to die.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and talking of which, I think they should give her a hairdo, the bouffant look or whatever she does does not make her look hot. She looked totally swooonsome when she had her hair down in an episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There was a really funny scene Oz pace last night where the old Marilyn emerged. She was trying to tell Roo there was a hairdresser client privilge where hairdressers couldnt tell their client's secrets and Roo knew she had made it up!! I do miss Marilyn's silly sayings like she didnt like Sydney cos there was too much carbon PEROXIDE in the air!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S-Jo wrote: »

She did have cancer and now is in remisson . Her mate told her the date she would die. On that day she dove into the sea to save a kid from drowning, in doing so she drowned herself. Thus died but was revived .. hence forfilling the prophercy.

Great actress.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She did have cancer and now is in remisson . Her mate told her the date she would die. On that day she dove into the sea to save a kid from drowning, in doing so she drowned herself. Thus died but was revived .. hence forfilling the prophercy.

Great actress.

I always got the feeling that the "Mitzi telling her she had cancer and would die" story, rather than it being doctors who told her, was TPTB's way of getting around killing her off, because they realised that she had so much potential and had been popular.

I always felt that she had been been brought back to the Bay to die, but they changed their minds. At least they didn't change their minds, let her die and bring in her identical twin/cousin/whatever!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Great actress.

Also, they did this years ago, with the Frank/Bobby/Roo love triangle. Floss (who used to tell the future!) foresaw that Frank would die because of Bobby, and when Roo told him at the Church that the baby wasn't his, he fled in his car. He swerved to avoid Bobby and crashed the car. He then died on the operating table and was revived, so again, the prophecy was fulfilled. I remember loving this storyline! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    . Sid Walker is over 40 .

and in a film called Storage :D, Austrailian thriller/horror..Just looking through some horrors and came to that film, seen his name and wow, its Sid from H&A :D ( thought i remembered his name),, googled him and its him lol
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    She's not a River Boy, so the producers of Home and Away just aren't interested in giving her or Irene a decent storyline.
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Marilyn needs a storyline and Marilyn has history unlike lot of characters.

She may not have been constantly there past twenty years but she's history past 20 years!