You can't be nice but you can't bitch about people either...

Jimbob91Jimbob91 Posts: 679
Forum Member
✭✭
Something I heard Dexter say about Callum on BOTS last night got me thinking about how housemates should behave in the house without attracting criticism...

Dexter said that Callum is nice to everyone - he said this was a bad thing and that he was 'playing the game'. Dan has also brought this up in his chats with Hazel so it's not just Dexter who thinks this.

Conversely Dan tends to bitch a fair bit about other housemates and gets stick from a lot of people on here and other people in the house.

So what strategy does somebody have to adopt when going into the house to avoid criticism? They can't be nice because they're playing a game and they can't be honest because they're a bitch. Is it even worse this year because of all the paranoia?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Oooh, its trying to find that healthy blend of bitching and niceness, someone like Callum bores me rigid, I'd rather watch someone bitching all day long because at least you can react and agree or disagree, Callum brings NOTHING!
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimbob91 wrote: »
    Something I heard Dexter say about Callum on BOTS last night got me thinking about how housemates should behave in the house without attracting criticism...

Dexter said that Callum is nice to everyone - he said this was a bad thing and that he was 'playing the game'. Dan has also brought this up in his chats with Hazel so it's not just Dexter who thinks this.

Conversely Dan tends to bitch a fair bit about other housemates and gets stick from a lot of people on here and other people in the house.

So what strategy does somebody have to adopt when going into the house to avoid criticism? They can't be nice because they're playing a game and they can't be honest because they're a bitch. Is it even worse this year because of all the paranoia?

Dan has made a conscious decision not to sit on the fence. I actually respect him for this.

There's no sure-fire strategy for avoiding criticism. Even keeping your head down gets you labelled "drift wood" and "radar dodger", and rightly so.
  • nanna7nanna7 Posts: 1,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont think dan bitches he is downright plain rude
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yesterday Sophie was sh#t stirring and bitching about Charlie and it was the first time i've found Sophie interseting to watch.:D

It was on live feed.
  • Jimbob91Jimbob91 Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does seem like a very fine balancing act. Don't sit on the fence but don't be too opinionated; entertain the viewers but don't annoy your housemates and risk nomination. No wonder they all go mad in there :D
  • JanisElizabethJanisElizabeth Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris222 wrote: »
    Yesterday Sophie was sh#t stirring and bitching about Charlie and it was the first time i've found Sophie interseting to watch.:D

It was on live feed.

I liked Sophie up to that point but she seemed to be relishing the bitching a little bit too much. And as for Wolfy she was practicall salivating. I've never seen her so animated:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that bit of advice from Dexter was meant to sabotage Callum. Sure, Callum really is boring to watch and I'm not a huge fan of his. But Dexter got 10 (TEN!) nominations. Who is he to give advice on how to play this game? Surely he's jealous of a guy who's well-liked, has a pretty girl flirting with him, and hasn't run into any problems with the other housemates. Dexter, IMO, was just trying to trip him up.

I loved that part where Dexter explained he was doing this because he wanted to give everyone a "present" before he left.:D Hope he goes around and gives everyone a present like that... it'd be like an early Christmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Sophie up to that point but she seemed to be relishing the bitching a little bit too much. And as for Wolfy she was practicall salivating. I've never seen her so animated:D

But most behind the back bitching is just hm's way of saying who they're nominating without saying the word 'nomination' and i'd like 3 different hm's up for eviction next week, but i can't see that happening.
  • bad-jojobad-jojo Posts: 1,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan has made a conscious decision not to sit on the fence. I actually respect him for this.

There's no sure-fire strategy for avoiding criticism. Even keeping your head down gets you labelled "drift wood" and "radar dodger", and rightly so.

I doubt it was a "decision" as such, more like he had no choice in the matter as he can't keep his gob shut, lol.

I think humour is a good way to go in the popularity stakes, and standing up for yourself but not in an aggressive manner. A calm disposition helps a lot too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris222 wrote: »
    But most behind the back bitching is just hm's way of saying who they're nominating without saying the word 'nomination' and i'd like 3 different hm's up for eviction next week, but i can't see that happening.

Yes that's true. I think there might be a bit of a change in noms next week though. Pretty sure Charlie will be up and possibly Wolfie. Probably whoever stays tonight will be up as well although Gina did earn some points by doing that disgusting task so you might get your wish;)

Oops - forgot Gina has been saved:D In which case I would say whoever stays tonight will be up next week.
  • JennylooJennyloo Posts: 14,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I loved it and they were right what they were saying.:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennyloo wrote: »
    I loved it and they were right what they were saying.:cool:

I don't agree but hey ho that's what the forum is all about:D
  • jogurjogur Posts: 2,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes when you think housemates are "bitching" about other housemates you get an interesting perspective on that particular housemate. Both the ones "bitching" and the ones under discussion. Some events happen in the house that we perhaps would not know about unless we eavesdropped on the "bitching". For instance I never saw Charlie jump into Hazel's bed and said she was going to sleep there from now on. But I knew about it because Hazel mentioned it to Dan.
  • wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member
    I like bitching but I don't like back stabbing. Sometimes it's necessary to have a good old bitch and sometimes kinder than being negative to someone's face but I always feel that you should be able to say to someones face what you have said behind their back if pulled up about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wotnot wrote: »
    I like bitching but I don't like back stabbing. Sometimes it's necessary to have a good old bitch and sometimes kinder than being negative to someone's face but I always feel that you should be able to say to someones face what you have said behind their back if pulled up about it.

I didn't like the bit where Wolfy was re-hashing the Hazel/Charlie saga. Sophie apparently knew nothing about it and Hazel and Charlie had sorted it out and put it to bed. No need for Wolfy to drag it all up again. To me, that was backstabbing.