More misheard lyrics on the radio

Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Independent newspaper to the rescue for the start of a bank holiday weekend ! On the dawn of National Record Shop Day ( Saturday ), the Independent have published a list of the favourite misheard lyrics.

Probably the result of too low DAB bitrates, planes making your FM swish, muffled AM, or your internet radio not buffering its stream properly, you're SURE that you're hearing things...

So are millions of other listeners ! Join together in a celebration of the inadequacies of technology, and have a look at :

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/lady-gaga-and-ozzy-osbournes-lyrics-named-hardest-to-understand-9269572.html

Comments

• wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard to believe..."I'm not talkin' bout the linen" is not in the top 10!:)
  • steel wheelssteel wheels Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How "I love to feel Lorraine in the summertime" by The Alarm is not there is a mystery! ;-)
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in the day there was an article in one of the music magazines (the late lamented Zigzag I believe) about fans misunderstanding their heroes' songs. The writer heard fans singing along at an Eagles concert "there ain't no way to hide your lovin' eyes", which completely changes the meaning of the song.
  • DartfordHoopDartfordHoop Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Noel Edmonds misheard lyrics will always be the ultimate for me. The Carpenters singing about writing songs with 'broken arms' and Gene Cotton at a zoo 'killing owls'

Love it! Must be an age thing
  • Young_NeilYoung_Neil Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Its a pathetic list compared to some of the greats:

Get up in the morning, baked beans for breakfast (me ears are alight) -Desmond Dekker, the Israelites.

Bicycle hut - Three degrees, my simple heart

Making love to his eagle - David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust

To name but three.
  • andrew1973andrew1973 Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about Groove Armada's "See you baby" which seems to contain the line "Funk if you're nasty, Dalek" but it's really supposed to be "darlin'" (it just sounds like Dalek!)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0I5Heo8Qds

18 seconds in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Reverend blue jeans
    Climb every woman
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smash Hits magazine got caught out back in 1989 when publishing the lyrics to 'Wages Day' by Deacon Blue. They made out that 'on your wages day, sex sex sex sex sex'.

Unfortunately for Smash Hits, the actual lyrics were 'on your wages day, say say say say say' and they had to run an apology in the next issue along with a copy of the correct lyrics.

To this day, hearing Wages Day being played on the radio or the very mention of the song automatically reminds me of that lyrics gaffe.
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Reverend blue jeans
    Climb every woman

What about that well-known Abba song about their favourite curry: 'Chicken Tikka'. :D
  • DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kenny Rogers "Lucille".
    With four hungry children and a crop in the field

I always used to sing with four hundred children.... lol