Options

What was this 80s game show called?

BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm trying to place this game show, and I can't remember much about it, other than the fact that it featured contestants from around the world, competing live via satellite.

It was in primetime and I think it was on ITV, although it could have been on any of the other three channels. The opening and closing credits featured footage of a TV satellite in space.

Comments

• Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be 'Going For Gold' that had contestants from around Europe.
  • Options
    Francis_ChuFrancis_Chu Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »
    I'm trying to place this game show, and I can't remember much about it, other than the fact that it featured contestants from around the world, competing live via satellite.

It was in primetime and I think it was on ITV, although it could have been on any of the other three channels. The opening and closing credits featured footage of a TV satellite in space.

I think it was "Top Of The World" and was hosted by Eamonn Andrews.
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a mid 80s game-show called 'FInders Keepers' with Richard Stilgoe, and 'So you want to be top' with Gary Wilmot. Jeez that's a long time ago.
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be 'Going For Gold' that had contestants from around Europe.

That's the first one that came to my mind.
  • Options
    stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    I think it was "Top Of The World" and was hosted by Eamonn Andrews.

It certainly sounds like Top of The World.

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Top_of_the_World
  • Options
    Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a mid 80s game-show called 'FInders Keepers' with Richard Stilgoe, and 'So you want to be top' with Gary Wilmot. Jeez that's a long time ago.

So you want to be T-O-P
    Well you gotta make it B-I-G
    You don't want to be an F-L-O-P
    So you want to be top
    So you want to be top
    So you want to be top!

Can anyone remember You Should Be So Lucky which was fronted by 'Vince Purity' aka Colin Bennett? It was a strange one, snakes and ladders meeting a talent show, and aired on Wednesday afternoons during Children's BBC in early 1986 and again in early 1987. Cringeworthy doesn't even come close to describing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you want to be T-O-P
    Well you gotta make it B-I-G
    You don't want to be an F-L-O-P
    So you want to be top
    So you want to be top
    So you want to be top!

Can anyone remember You Should Be So Lucky which was fronted by 'Vince Purity' aka Colin Bennett? It was a strange one, snakes and ladders meeting a talent show, and aired on Wednesday afternoons during Children's BBC in early 1986 and again in early 1987. Cringeworthy doesn't even come close to describing it.

I just looked this up, and don't remember it at all. Must have expunged it from my memory, cause if it was on CBBC I would have seen it.

How about 'Cheggars plays pop' and 'Screen Test' a group of contestants watching Disney clips, and answering questions about them as I recall.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd forgotten the title, but I remember watching it!

Wasn't Bill Pertwee in So You Want to be Top with Gary?
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I remember You Should Be So Lucky. It was very odd as I recall.
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stewartuu wrote: »
    It certainly sounds like Top of The World.

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Top_of_the_World

Yes I think it was that one. Definitely not Going for Gold....that didn't have satellite link ups and anyway this was definitely an evening show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of 'So you want to be top?' does anyone know of any clips or even pics from the show online? can't find anything, and would love to see something from the show.