What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Cry for Help - Grant McKenzie
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gone Girl...Gillian Flynn...and really enjoying it!
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pines, the first in the Wayward Pines series, downloaded on kindle during a particularly slow day at work yesterday. I've just seen it's being made into a TV series next year, which explains a lot - it's a very "for TV" sort of book. It's alright though if you're into the Twin Peaks/Lost/Cabin in the Woods sort of thing.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I've just finished Almost English by Charlotte Mendelson, good enough but a little obtuse in parts. The fact I found both main characters fundamentally dislikeable didn't help.

I'm now starting The Hive by Gill Hornby which has been hugely hyped and living up to it so far- it's nice and pacey and got a few jokes thrown in.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Ashes According To Bumble - David Lloyd
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just started Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty. Audiobook version read by Juliet Stevenson.

A 52 year-old woman, married with grown-up children, a renowned geneticist, is standing trial at the Old Bailey. We don't know what she's accused of but do know that she's been having an affair with the co-accused.

Very good so far.
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_C wrote: »
    I've just started Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty. Audiobook version read by Juliet Stevenson.

A 52 year-old woman, married with grown-up children, a renowned geneticist, is standing trial at the Old Bailey. We don't know what she's accused of but do know that she's been having an affair with the co-accused.

Very good so far.

Thanks for posting - I like the sound of that, so I'm going to ask my library if they can get the audio version for me. :)

I've just finished the audio version of 'Close My Eyes' by Sophie McKenzie. Really enjoyed it actually - a gripping suspense thriller in which a woman discovers that her still-born baby might actually have been born alive and taken in a conspiracy. It's not high-brow literary writing, but it's a good story, fast-paced and full of suspense as the main character doesn't know who to trust and neither do we (the readers).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Sepulchre by James Herbert, not loving it to be honest
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Sue_C wrote: »

Very good so far.

I've read that one - really enjoyed it. You'll enjoy it right to the end
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Tarzan of the apes - Edgar Rice Burroughs
    A Pocket full of Rye Agatha Christie
    The Country of the blind and other stories - HG Wells
    Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (again! :] ) - Jules Verne
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just spent the last 2 hours, 20 mins in the the bath finishing Wolf by Mo Hayder.

It's the latest in the Jack Caffery series and after a couple of duds, Hayder is right back on form with this installment...hence my delightful prune-like skin.

There's no 'Flea' in this one, thankfully...the book and indeed the series, is all the better for her absence, in my opinion of course ;-)
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Want You Dead..The latest Roy Grace detective novel by Peter James.

Just a few chapters in and I'm gripped already!
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Peter Robinson- Not safe after dark
  • DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Finished Submarine and now just started Chocolat by Joanne Harris. Really enjoying it so far. Will definitely have to re-watch the film after.
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Disappeared – Kristina Ohlsson. Excellent addition to the crime series featuring a group of 3 detectives in Stockholm. Well plotted and good characterization.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitler by Ian Kershaw - and very depressing it's been too - glad I've finished it.
  • The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started Drifter's Run by William C. Dietz. The first book in the Drifter series was great so I'm excited for this second one. :)
  • Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Help - Kathryn Stockett
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Olls~ wrote: »
    The Help - Kathryn Stockett

Oh I loved that!

You've just reminded me that I've got the DVD knocking about somewhere, will watch it at the weekend :)
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    Just spent the last 2 hours, 20 mins in the the bath finishing Wolf by Mo Hayder.

It's the latest in the Jack Caffery series and after a couple of duds, Hayder is right back on form with this installment...hence my delightful prune-like skin.

There's no 'Flea' in this one, thankfully...the book and indeed the series, is all the better for her absence, in my opinion of course ;-)
    Lol, me too! (Although I didn't read it in the bath).:p I was in bed and couldn't put it down till I finished it a 2.20am. :D

Fantastic book though - and as you say, so much better without the dreaded Flea woman. I love The Walking Man. :D
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished listening to all three of the Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch. It's awesomely funny, crude, disgusting and fantastic. :D

Dunno what's next, but it'll probably pale in comparison. That always happens when I've loved a book this much. :(:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Lol, me too! (Although I didn't read it in the bath).:p I was in bed and couldn't put it down till I finished it a 2.20am. :D

Fantastic book though - and as you say, so much better without the dreaded Flea woman. I love The Walking Man. :D

Hello you...what a spooky coincidence! :D

The Walking Man is ace isn't he, I wouldn't mind having a mug of cider and a chat with him myself...be interesting to see how Jack handles his news in the next book :(

Always knew there was more to us than just shit TV shows :D

What you reading next?
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Righty-ho, now I've got Rivers of London in my ears - there's a great thread or three on here with recommendations, so many thanks to those contributors. :)
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    Hello you...what a spooky coincidence! :D

The Walking Man is ace isn't he, I wouldn't mind having a mug of cider and a chat with him myself...be interesting to see how Jack handles his news in the next book :(

Always knew there was more to us than just shit TV shows :D

What you reading next?
    I've just started on Elizabeth George's Just One Act of Evil (Inspector Lynley). Trouble is, it's nearly 700 pages and the tiniest print you've ever seen! I can only read about 50 pages before my eyes fall out, so it's going to take a while. :o

Just read Val McDermid's Cross and Burn (Tony Hill series). That's another corker. :cool:
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recently 'inherited' (gifted by friend really!) the complete works
    of John Grisham,who I have never read for some reason.Am working
    through them and am currently on 'The Chamber' which I think is the
    fifth one? Anyway,finding them good stuff,interesting and gripping for
    the most part,with loads of legal expertise thrown in.Still twenty odd
    to go so I may be some time!