America's Next Top Model - Cycle 19 on UK Living

KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone know when this is going to be screened? Or will we have the next Britain and Irelands Next Top Model before? :)

Comments

• MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Great question, hard to even find out when BINTM starts also?

I do know they are showing the next series of Australias next top model starting this evening on sky livingit from 9pm :) not sure if ive seen or not?
  • magsy56magsy56 Posts: 2,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great question, hard to even find out when BINTM starts also?

I do know they are showing the next series of Australias next top model starting this evening on sky livingit from 9pm :) not sure if ive seen or not?

Thanks for this - have just set it in my planner. Its Series 7 - not previously seen here.
    Forum Member
    I quite liked it, the Aussie girls dont usually disappoint however they did all look the same ie no cheeseburgers for this lot! a plus size here or there would be nice
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Shoot! :( I missed this, hope it gets repeated. The Aussie version is normally quite entertaining.
  • Jorf68Jorf68 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Episode 1 was 100 contestants in a boot camp situation whittled down to 20
    Bit tricky getting to know the contestants especially as many of the girls looked similar
    Charlotte Dawson as a judge is fabulous -such a cow sometimes but dead funny
  • magsy56magsy56 Posts: 2,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to prefer the Aussie show. Often the modelling assignments appear more 'real' than the US version plus the judges don't sugar coat anything. The only downside for me is the final public vote.
  • alwaysanigel247alwaysanigel247 Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Don't be disappointed its series 7. The winner has been very very successful (walked for Dior etc). (Puts American and British winners to shame)
  • burnoutbabeburnoutbabe Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Bump up as its back on Living . The college cycle!
    Forum Member
    Loving it so far but not a fan of judges kelly Citrone or the British male model ( total sleaze)
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving it so far but not a fan of judges kelly Citrone or the British male model ( total sleaze)

Where is he from? I hear a welsh twang and his surname is Evans but he mainly sounds like he's from the south east of England...
    Forum Member
    Not entirely sure, he makes out like he is so mature but in theory he is young and very immature. The stylist is damn hot!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    The male model is (was!?) Tyra's new beau hence his sudden appearance.

Not liking many of the girls yet, but we've not had much chance to see how they photograph really.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to like the geeky one with glasses and short hair, but in her final photo she looked like she might be a bit too thin. None of the others have really registered yet. Although now we're down to 13, that might be easier to handle than previous cycles.
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    I want to like the geeky one with glasses and short hair, but in her final photo she looked like she might be a bit too thin. None of the others have really registered yet. Although now we're down to 13, that might be easier to handle than previous cycles.

Yeah true!

I did think however that episode pretty much told us who would be called at the end, there were some girls I couldn't even remember seeing?
    Forum Member
    bazaar1 wrote: »

Not liking many of the girls yet, but we've not had much chance to see how they photograph really.

OIC now it becomes clear!
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »

Oh is that so! Apparently he's not on the most recent cycle (as we're behind). But he's only about 22 and she's in her 40s!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to like the geeky one with glasses and short hair,.
    Jesse, apparently. And she's gone.

Interesting new scoring. In effect, the judges count for 30, the challenge counts for 10 and Facebook counts for 10, so it's heavily weighted towards the judges. At least the challenges do count for something. Previously you could win a challenge and be sent home the same week, making them a bit pointless. Facebook only counts for 20% of the score, so it's not as important as they try to make it out to be.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesse, apparently. And she's gone.

Interesting new scoring. In effect, the judges count for 30, the challenge counts for 10 and Facebook counts for 10, so it's heavily weighted towards the judges. At least the challenges do count for something. Previously you could win a challenge and be sent home the same week, making them a bit pointless. Facebook only counts for 20% of the score, so it's not as important as they try to make it out to be.

Thanks for explaining how the scoring works. I don't think I was watching it closely enough and wrongly assumed each section accounted for a third of the girls final score, (and maybe they want you to have that impression), which I thought was a mistake as it gives too much control to largely anonymous Facebook users. Now I understand it, I like the way they've incorporated this into the programme and think percentage wise they've got the balance right in that respect. Agree also that there's now a justifiable reason to do well in the challenges if it contributes to the overall score and makes them a far more worth while part of it all.

New judges wise, I like Kelly, she obviously very experienced in the industry and knows what she's talking about. Completely not interested in the unmemorable male model though and shocked to discover that his inclusion is possibly down to the fact he is/was Tyra's latest squeeze! I can imagine her being someone who very much does 'keep it in the family' and makes sure work wise that she has a lot of people around her who are friends and confidants, but really, that's taking it a bit far! Did Nigel jump ship or was he pushed?

Very surprised about who was the first girl out, I thought she'd make the top 5 or 6 at least.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So now they can choose whether to have the make-over, but have to do so before they know what it will be for them. I think that's just adding more cruelty. Those who did refuse still got lambasted for it, and I suspect if they'd agreed and then changed their minds after seeing the proposal, they wouldn't have been summarily dismissed. There often seems to be a large element of humiliation in the make-overs, and Victoria got a good final result partly because she kowtowed and apologised for disagreeing with them.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    Oh is that so! Apparently he's not on the most recent cycle (as we're behind). But he's only about 22 and she's in her 40s!

He's nearly 26 and she's 40. So, fourteen years between them... or there would be, if they were still together. She's a fast mover is Tyra ;-)
    Forum Member
    It seems to me that the judges & producers can still select who they want to go through

Ps Victoria refuses the makeover yet gets first place I think the future contestants will refuse ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The contestants seem less accomplished this cycle. Usually we get a lot who have long wanted to be models, and have had some experience before going on the show. This cycle their ambition has been more college-based and this is the first modelling they've done (with a few exceptions). The basic concept of side-tracking their careers for the competition seems a bit dubious to me. I guess the show doesn't take long enough to record to matter, so only the winner will be affected long-term.
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it was right that Jesse went home the first week as IMO she had potential. The girl who went in the second week was a more acceptable loss as she just didn't photograph that well.

They've never properly explained the scoring system. For example, how do they come up with a social media rating? Where does the score of 6.4 or whatever come from? Are they doing it comparatively or are they compiling 'likes' or what?

To be honest I find some aspects of the social media side really annoying. For example, the video clips read out during panel. A total waste of time - you can find anyone saying anything (positive or negative) about any of the girls. There's no point showing it. I also really miss the judge's discussions - we just see a score now and no real discussions about the models or photos. This is really lacking IMO.

I'm always dubious about the 'no experience' card. This time around even the girl from Harvard seemed to already be represented by an agency (albeit small fry).

Regardless of the format I still think they deliberately choose unflattering photos for panel in some cases, and will manipulate the scoring whilst trying to make it seem objective. But that's just how the show is I suppose.

Also... what's with all the blurring? So they do 'naked' photo shoots (pretty sure they were wearing something covering the main part of the breast, and they were wearing pants) but they blur out anything below chest level even when the nipples are covered?! And for some reason keep blurring out any backsides even when they are in pants?! Probably makes me sound like a perv but it does annoy me - it's a show about modelling!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say I was a prude regarding naked photo shoots (maybe I am !) but I didn't see the need for it to be honest.
    There are instances where this works - i.e. topless shoots for selling jeans so your focus is soley on the jeans, or maybe even jewelery.

In this case what were they actually modelling ? it was literally just a naked photo shoot and not 'selling' anything so maybe I am completely mis-undertanding what modelling is !
    Forum Member
    Candy39 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say I was a prude regarding naked photo shoots (maybe I am !) but I didn't see the need for it to be honest.
    There are instances where this works - i.e. topless shoots for selling jeans so your focus is soley on the jeans, or maybe even jewelery.

In this case what were they actually modelling ? it was literally just a naked photo shoot and not 'selling' anything so maybe I am completely mis-undertanding what modelling is !

Agreed ive watched hundreds of episodes of top model but I found that shoot really wrong and im not a prude either

all those poor girls naked with Rob Evans (Tara's rumoured bf) and he just looked so sleazy and nasty, it was gross to watch