Russell Howard's Good News

davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,359
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The latest Good News started last night and was funny but patchy. He still insists on waving his arms about and making stupid sexual movements and I was disappointed that the mystery guest slot was still in. Guess that gives me an extra five minutes every week to do something else.

Elsewhere some real laugh out loud moments but I felt that the internet piece about the teenage girl who had been to the dentist was propbably faked. Stlll, overall good to see it back.

Comments

• ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,530
    Forum Member
    The latest Good News started last night and was funny but patchy. He still insists on waving his arms about and making stupid sexual movements and I was disappointed that the mystery guest slot was still in. Guess that gives me an extra five minutes every week to do something else.

Elsewhere some real laugh out loud moments but I felt that the internet piece about the teenage girl who had been to the dentist was propbably faked. Stlll, overall good to see it back.

He still does those silly voices and the screeching as well. Some of it was really funny though. That bit with the drunk guy trying to surf:D:D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I was surprised when I tuned it to see that it was a new series. I didn't see any advertising at all for it. Then again, I don't watch BBC3 that much and I guess it doesn't get any advertising anywhere else on the beeb.

I turned it off as I will record the extended version.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,530
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I was surprised when I tuned it to see that it was a new series. I didn't see any advertising at all for it. Then again, I don't watch BBC3 that much and I guess it doesn't get any advertising anywhere else on the beeb.

This is the only thing on BBC3 I watch and I only found out that it was a new series because I was looking at the Sky guide on my tv. I haven't seen any ads for it anywhere either.
    Forum Member
    The thing is that they've been repeating eaarlier series anyway so I didn't bother checking that it was a new series. Just needed 15 minutes wasting so was going to watch it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed in this series, I think the layout of the show makes it a tad too predictable.

Good to see it back, but I hope it improves. I don't expect the formula of the show will change - I just mean hopefully the material will be better.
  • Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I don't get this thing of having an extended version of a topical show a few days after the regular version. I wouldn't want to watch both as parts are duplicated and if I wait for the extended version it won't be so topical. Same with HIGNFY and The News Quiz (on Radio 4).
  • RutakatekiRutakateki Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Elsewhere some real laugh out loud moments but I felt that the internet piece about the teenage girl who had been to the dentist was propbably faked.
    I thought it was probably a spoof of This video, and was surprised the researchers missed the original- or now I think about it, maybe they couldn't get permission to use the original clip. Good spoof actually!
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Max Demian wrote: »
    I don't get this thing of having an extended version of a topical show a few days after the regular version. I wouldn't want to watch both as parts are duplicated and if I wait for the extended version it won't be so topical. Same with HIGNFY and The News Quiz (on Radio 4).

The extended version of Good News is just the same programme with 15 minutes from a different stand up comic every week I think. I don't bother with the extended version any more because the stand ups they have on are hardly ever funny.
  • GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go for the shortened version which stops as soon as the guest appears !
    Forum Member
    Max Demian wrote: »
    3 days doesn't make it less topical imo. If it's recorded and broadcast in the same week then that is good enough.

I watch the repeats of this, HIGNFY and MtW and they are still good even though they aren't topical anymore.
    Bosox wrote: »
    The extended version of Good News is just the same programme with 15 minutes from a different stand up comic every week I think. I don't bother with the extended version any more because the stand ups they have on are hardly ever funny.
    I like the standup bit. The BBC standup shows just show the big players who are on tours and on telly.
    This shows the others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no prude and do find him funny but it was a lot more crude - he doesn't need to include so much schoolboy crudity.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    was this the one with the guy rapping about his tea at the end? I was a bit shocked buy the gunshot. Funny apart from that antd the swearing though
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan of rap but I thought Doc Brown's raps were good and funny. It's something different. He needs to smooth out the rest of his routine.

I've noticed that Howard has only a handful of voices to rely on. It reminds me a bit of Lee Evans who has his handful of exaggerated stereotypes.
  • GravitasGravitas Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the boss-eyed, smug, Leftie multimillionaire still promoting mass uncontrolled immigration?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Doh I've just reliably informed of this previous thread...

Just watched first episode. T shirt bit Star Trek like but I'll forgive him as he's obviously been working out :o
    Thought it was one of the best episodes in a while :D
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    Anyone watch the most recent episode?
    Forum Member
    Yes..
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish he'd stop all the silly guesters and just get on with the show. It would be a hell of a lot better without the sex movements and silly silly voices.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree about the sex movements being annoying. It's become predictable that Russell will exclaim and mime some sexual act and, when he's stopped, pretend that he got carried away with it.
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he still making references to Harry Potter?
    Forum Member
    ^ No, don't think he is.

Giving this a bump, anyone watching the show tonight?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be - I still think its the best comedy-esq show out there, I mean what other "funny" programmes is there at the moment?

I just adore the show and will always watch it - along with the repeats
    Forum Member
    Show's about to start, let's keep this thread running.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohh I know, got BBC3 on ready
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a side note - just seen an advert for a new programme on here called Britain Unzipped - WHY on Earth does nearly every show 9pm onwards have to be bloody crude??