Options

Can you still get a satellite magazine?

I miss the idea of a satellite magazine where you used to get listings of lots of non 28.2 E channels across Europe and channel listings for lots of satellites, combined with tips, reader letters and articles etc, I remember What Satellite and Satellite TV Europe. Now I can't find anything like it on a mainstream newsagents or supermarkets shelf? Does it still exist anywhere, might you have to go to WH Smith or take out a subscription?

Comments

• Options
    staticmanstaticman Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    What Satellite is still around.

http://www.wotsat.com
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    staticman wrote: »
    What Satellite is still around.

http://www.wotsat.com

Thanks glad one is still going, does it still do channel listings by satellite? I could order it but would rather find it in a newsagent, guess that might be difficult!
  • Options
    staticmanstaticman Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Not sure about the listings for each Sat.
    tbh not bought the magazine for a good few years! (local newsagent stopped stocking it)
  • Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks glad one is still going, does it still do channel listings by satellite? I could order it but would rather find it in a newsagent, guess that might be difficult!

My local Tesco sell it, think Sainsburys also have it.

Not worth buying though, very poor nowadays.
  • Options
    bensgrandadbensgrandad Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    staticman wrote: »
    Not sure about the listings for each Sat.
    tbh not bought the magazine for a good few years! (local newsagent stopped stocking it)

Wotsat still lists channels by satellite, divided into SD, HD and Radio. It doesn't list programmes any more apart from specials. There is a larger 'professional' content than in former times but they still review new kit and have useful articles. Don't forget that 'Lyngsat' or 'King of Sat' on line list all available channels in immense detail for free!
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Have you tried LyngSat?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flysat is not bad either, I got bored with What Sat, too repetitive in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes I use lyngsat etc, I'd just like a good magazine with listings, could have it right there on paper whilst watching and looking through channels, shame actual channel listings for foreign channels aren't printed anymore.
  • Options
    wombat66wombat66 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Bill Clinton shame actual channel listings for foreign channels aren't printed anymore.[/QUOTE

Have you tried this ?

www.hoerzu.de/tv-program
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wotsat is hard to find these days, last time I bought it (last year I think) it wasn't worth buying.

I remember magazines such as Satellite times which used to give german and french listings aswell. Not sure what happened it.
  • Options
    White MonkWhite Monk Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been a subscriber to Wotsat for a while now. This months (September) dropped through the letter box this morning together with a letter saying that Wotsat was changing into a glorified listings magazine and offering me a subscription to Home Cinema Choice. Sorry, NFI >:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So that's it. All dead now. Sad.
  • Options
    FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, the joys of getting a satellite magazine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    White Monk wrote: »
    I've been a subscriber to Wotsat for a while now. This months (September) dropped through the letter box this morning together with a letter saying that Wotsat was changing into a glorified listings magazine and offering me a subscription to Home Cinema Choice. Sorry, NFI >:(

Will it no longer have anything to do with satellite? If so, that really is the last one gone, otherwise listings would be good because it doesn't offer any, they actually used to list german channels etc with Satellite TV Europe.
    Wouldn't mind getting the September one, but how would you get it in a welsh town without many newsagents?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wotsat dropped through the letterbox this morning as a skimpy supplement to Home Cinema Choice - which I don't really want, although others might :(

Subscription terminated :cry:
  • Options
    matt888ukmatt888uk Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    White Monk wrote: »
    Wotsat dropped through the letterbox this morning as a skimpy supplement to Home Cinema Choice - which I don't really want, although others might :(

Subscription terminated :cry:

Mine also arrived this morning - all 36 pages of it! Any idea as to the long-term plan for the mag? Surely they can't justify the £4.50 cover price now unless they always throw in a 'bonus' copy of Home Cinema Choice (which I don't want)?
    Odd the way there's no mention to this new format in the Editor's Letter at the front of the mag...

Really don't want to cancel my sub, but it's looking like I'll have to :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    matt888uk wrote: »
    Mine also arrived this morning - all 36 pages of it! Any idea as to the long-term plan for the mag? Surely they can't justify the £4.50 cover price now unless they always throw in a 'bonus' copy of Home Cinema Choice (which I don't want)?
    Odd the way there's no mention to this new format in the Editor's Letter at the front of the mag...

Really don't want to cancel my sub, but it's looking like I'll have to :(

The letter that came last month implied our subscription would be changed, if we took no action, to HCC :(

IMHO, Wotsat is a title of a publication now, not a magazine >:(
  • Options
    mill9mill9 Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having seen the letter and now the cut down magazine along with Home Cinema I will be cancelling my subscribtion too
  • Options
    bensgrandadbensgrandad Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Quite honestly I don't understand how it can even be described as having "comprehensive listings". The satellite details are woefully incomplete - nothing further west than 5 degrees and no radio. As a previous poster said, not a hint of explanation other than that vague letter last month. Really not good enough.
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is still:
    http://www.tele-satellite.co.uk/eng/TELE-satellite-1203/#/2/

not sure if they still do a 'paper' version
  • Options
    Hot HitsHot Hits Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Printed Copies are only available to advertisers. So it says on the inside right hand page of the latest edition.... I am sure that this was available at one time. Be a good magazine to subscribe to.

I too have cancelled my subscription to What Satellite.

Great Shame!
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    I just found the latest "issue" of What Satellite & Digital TV in my local W H Smiths.
    As has been said, a now 36 page "magazine" for £4.50 with a "free" copy of the £4.50 HI-Fi Choice magazine.
    What a joke, and no explanation for this whatsoever, in last month's magazine or this month's.
    Their website says nothing about any changes either, and it's still offering subscriptions.
    Talk about treating their readership with contempt!
    >:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Got my Oct 2014 mag today, I've been conned .. Taking it back for e refund on the basis of not fit for purpose doesn't even qualify as a mag! Useless waste of ink.
  • Options
    matt888ukmatt888uk Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The November 'issue' of Wotsat popped through my letterbox this morning (again bundled with Home Cinema Choice), but this time with a not-so-vague letter informing those of us left subscribing that it is officially closing...
    It's a shame they couldn't manage a special farewell edition with some best bits from over the years or something :(
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    matt888uk wrote: »
    The November 'issue' of Wotsat popped through my letterbox this morning (again bundled with Home Cinema Choice), but this time with a not-so-vague letter informing those of us left subscribing that it is officially closing...
    It's a shame they couldn't manage a special farewell edition with some best bits from over the years or something :(
    So is the November issue actually the last one?
    :)