Comments

• Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything to do with cars, e.g.
    - - no-one ever has trouble parking,

:rolleyes:

I was thinking that!..... how come in films if they are going into a shop or should i say 'store' it is always empty in the street and they can park right in front, when in real life you have to tour round and round for ages before you can get a parking space and still have a walk when you do find one, or it;s into the multi story you have to go....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On another note, there is an awful fondness for characters pouring themselves a preposterously big glass of whisky and gulping it down straight. This is usually the only time you ever see them drinking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the hero is a cop they've always been sacked or taken off the case before they eventually save the day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cops are rarely 'normal' and conventional in films and if they are they're ridiculed for it (usually in comedies and buddy cop flicks).
    Most have mental health/drinking/marriage problems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I never see anyone using a bottle opener in a movie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    People sitting at a computer screen will have the reflection of the computer screen projected over their face.

I watched The Rock on BBC 1 the other night and when I saw the guy in the submarine with green graphics all over his face I actually laughed. Are people that dumb to think that's what happens in submarines or what happens in general when you sit down in front of a computer? The strain on that guys eyes must have been unbelievable, having to look into a light that was projecting images onto his face... :rolleyes:

I'm going to tell you a TRUE story....

I went away for a weekend many years ago, stayed in some holiday flats in the south west. It was winter and we'd gone to watch the weather and waves.

Late one night, I was having a drink with the site owner/janitor/live in manager combo. Told him that I worked with computers. He said he could'nt do that.

So I asked him why not. He said "Because the screen flickering would drive me mad".

He'd only ever seen them on TV, and recording of screens by cameras back then (even now?) created a black band and a flickering effect which he thought was there when you were sat in front of one too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    why dont people ever say goodbye when they hang up in films? its just common courtesy for gods sake!
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Granny72 wrote: »
    Cops are rarely 'normal' and conventional in films and if they are they're ridiculed for it (usually in comedies and buddy cop flicks).
    Most have mental health/drinking/marriage problems.

And have 24 hours to solve a case "or it's your ass!", they have a partner due for retirement who is too old for this **** or a young, idealistic partner who wants to go to law school and the partner usually ends up dead.
  • Options
    simpsosimpso Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    All those names at the end of movies has been done to death and its even crept into tv shows... Come on people some imagination stop copying each other!
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The obligatory and pointless sex scene in slasher films.

Oh how I loved Scream for ripping that genre to shreds!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    The person who's hiding from a killer or has seen a mob hit always has to knock something over/make a noise and get noticed.
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when girl walks on in a huff and the man runs after her but stands holding the doorknob and doesnt open it..

when in the creepy house, the girl hears screams, and when you and I would hide under the covers, these damsels light a candle and go for a prowl.

when the daft policeman wont listen to someone trying to tell them about a serious incident, , theres always one like him..

when a couple make a date, they never say, when or where, or ask for a phone number.

American kitchens Im sure have drinking glasses, jugs, fridges all made bigger or the kids have very small hands. as they always look enormous.

mens pyjamas in the morning never looked slept in.

using dolls for babies, do they think we dont notice
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In zombie flicks you usually get someone running away, who always seems to fall over a leaf and end up "breaking" their ankle...

you also always have the big tough black who makes good use of the word "motherf****r"
    :D
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cars that blow up when they crash if driven by baddies but dont if driven by goodies.
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The place our heros have to infiltrate/escape from always having a perfectly person-sized and navigateable piping system.

The "I love you dad/mom" scene that pretty much tells us mom/dad is going to die fairly soon.

Villains always having easily hackable computer systems/easily guessable passwords to get into their master plans.

Children generally not dying in action/horror films despite much stronger and more competent adults kicking the bucket (there are exceptions, but they're generally few and far between).
  • Options
    occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,435
    Forum Member
    The ones thats always get me are:

- hotel rooms which anyone can just enter without a key (I've never seen one of these in reallife)

- All computers have huge font text, the the letters scroll along the screen rather than just appear

- Divorced couples always love their ex and want to dump their new partners to get back with them

grrrr :mad::)
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All people who have a need to type can do so at 1000 words per minute - and never have to go back to make a correction.

Nobody ever breaks wind.

Nobody ever says "excuse me, I really need to have a piss."
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bad guy/monster looks dead but rises up for one last 'raaaaar!'.

The ex-wife of the hero is always remarried to a smart arse/geek/unattractive guy.
  • Options
    somerset foxsomerset fox Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Impeneterable security systems are normally made up of visible beams across a room making it difficult, but not impossible for the hero to walk through. No-one ever has motion sensors which would go off straight away.

How about, visually, every police car parked at an incident has to have its red and blue lights flashing. Even if the incident has finished and the hero and heroine are talking at the end. Visually eye catching. Not something that happens.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Loving this thread!

When anyone calls someone on the phone the person receiving the call will always answer within 5 seconds of the number being dialled.

First impressions are often deceptive, with the one (usually good) character having a totally unexplained personality transplant mid way through so they are now the bad guy!
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    Cadell wrote: »
    Loving this thread!

When anyone calls someone on the phone the person receiving the call will always answer within 5 seconds of the number being dialled.

Except in Fight Club, where the narrator phones Tyler Durden just after he comes back from a plane trip to find that his flat has blown up, hoping to get to stay with Tyler. Tyler doesn't answer after several rings, but rings back when the narrator finally puts the phone on the hook.

Still, saying that, I'd rather have quick answers than endless silent moments waiting for the story to carry on (except for that one I mentioned above in Fight Club, which worked and was appropriate for the story). So, I'm a little thankful for that cliche. ;)
  • Options
    LojenLojen Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe nobody has mentioned the old "which wire do I cut to defuse the bomb" scenario.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in a War film where they pick some condemned criminal to go behind enemy lines - he always German perfectly (obviously everyone speaks English......)

in a scene in a mortuary, the attendant is always eating

in a British police thing, the main copper never gets to eat his breakfast (usually stubs out his **** in the fried egg) - bit out of date that one

in a film with an ageing star and a younger sidekick, there's always a running scene where the young guy can't keep up with the old guy (Eastwood, Shatner eg)
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    All people who have a need to type can do so at 1000 words per minute - and never have to go back to make a correction.

Nobody ever breaks wind.

Nobody ever says "excuse me, I really need to have a piss."

Mel Brookes has the answer to that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in a War film where they pick some condemned criminal to go behind enemy lines - he always speaks German perfectly (obviously everyone speaks English......)

in a scene in a mortuary, the attendant is always eating

in a British police thing, the main copper never gets to eat his breakfast (usually stubs out his **** in the fried egg) - bit out of date that one

in a film with an ageing star and a younger sidekick, there's always a running scene where the young guy can't keep up with the old guy (Eastwood, Shatner eg)