Twins who ALWAYS dress the same

wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondered what other people thought about that, why do a lot of parents always dress their twins in identical outfits? At best it looks twee, yes if they're going to a party or something and both love the same dress fair enough, but why have them always wearing the exact same outfit on the same day? I knew a woman and if one twin soiled their outfit she'd change both of them!
This subject sprung to mind 'cos I saw two old ladies in their 70's at the shops dressed identically, not only did it look sad, but a tad creepy too! I think it can be a bit unhealthy to treat them as kind of one entity and not individuals in their own right, lots of parents have children very close together in age and size but don't dress them identically, I just think it's bizzare!

Comments

• adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a couple of girls (early twenties I'm guessing) who get the same bus as me on most mornings. Identical twins with the same haircuts and virtually the same clothes and they never ever speak to each other.

That freaks me out more than a Muslim with a rucksack.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mother always used to dress my sister and me in identical outfits. And we are nearly 3 years in age apart. I remember it being like that until I was about 11. Even when I was at an age to pick out my own outfits - my sister generally had the same one in her wardrobe too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My twins had a lot of clothes the same, but in different colours, when babies/toddlers. Like one had a blue jumper with a grey train on it, the other had the same jumper, but in green and grey. It was mainly clothes which other people bought, but I hardly ever put them in the same clothes on purpose. Except maybe a school photo, when they were very young.
    As soon as they were at play school, I asked for them to be split up into different groups. That way they were compared with other children, not just their twin. They had their own set of friends, and grew up as individuals, rather than 1/2 of a pair.
  • charmingbillycharmingbilly Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it looks cute when they are little but creepy if they continue to dress alike into adulthood. I can't quite get my head round adults wanting to look the same but it does happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Whilst out shopping the other day I saw two middle-aged women, who were obviously identical twins, and they were both wearing the same black maxi dress, silver high heels, silver bag, black cardigan and both had their blonde hair tied in a high, side pony tail by a black scrunchie.
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Since the appearance of Jedward I would have though dressing twins the same would have been a very bad idea.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once taught identical twins and their mum dressed them identically but they hated it.

As time went on, I got to tell them apart (even their mum couldn't always tell which was which!) as I started to see them as such different people. Academically, they had different abilities, and previous teachers had always seen them as a pair but I split em up and let them develop their own space, and they loved it.
  • ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nothing wrong with twee

there was 3 years difference between me and my older sis but we wore the same clothes

looks cute in the photos!
  • ThisSheepMoobsThisSheepMoobs Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and my brother dress identically and look exactly the same. It is as if, we were photocopies of each other. There is only an 11 month difference between us.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and my brother dress identically and look exactly the same. It is as if, we were photocopies of each other. There is only an 11 month difference between us.

My 2nd son was walking along in town with 3rd son last week and this girl who knows older one but not younger shouted over: "Is that your twin?" No-one ever believes they're not twins (or triplets with the oldest bro).:D

My 3 eldest kids are like clones, and there's some fair age gaps between em. It was bad at school though as No 2 got called No 1's name the whole way through, and then No 3 got called No 1 and No 2's name.:D
  • miss-kittymiss-kitty Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have twin 5 year old boys (nearly 6) and I always stated that their was no way they would ever be dressed the same, they had a few outfits as babies that were the same, but were never in them at the same time, we had LOADS of things that were the same design, but a different colour...

However, my mother in law, upon realising that I did not want them dressed the same, would buy them new clothes, and have them put on immediately, then proclaim how adorable/cute/gorgeous they were, which led to them LOVING that praise, therefore wanting to dress exactly the same! (yes my mother in law is that pathetic!)

They dressed the same from about 2 years old until 3 1/2

It got to the point where one morning I tried to dress them differently, and one of my boys threw an almighty paddy! My boys never throw tantrums (hard to believe I am sure, but true) as they know it gets them no where. But my boy threw such an awful paddy over this, he was distraught, he couldnt breathe through crying so hard, he kicked, punched, scratched, bit etc! I put him in the same clothes as his brother and it was instant calm......

They were still individual people though, I NEVER refer to them as 'the twins' and i will correct others when they do. They now very rarely wear the same clothes, but I still have to get doubles of everything or they argue. There are days where they insist on wearing the same thing, but as they choose their own clothes now, it is quite obviously their own choice.

I do however dress them the same on purpose if we go out on a day trip (to the zoo etc) as if by chance one of them got lost I would be able to say to the workers that 'He looks exactly like this' :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    my sister has two boys, 2 and 4 and she dresses them the same, it looks weird. and i think it will give them a complex, especially the older one. but she loves doing it.... i am afraid to ask the boys what they think about it.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having had a twin who died in utero, I always wonder what it would be like and would we have dressed the same. Although as it was a fraternal twin, one of us might have looked funny.
  • ThisSheepMoobsThisSheepMoobs Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    My 2nd son was walking along in town with 3rd son last week and this girl who knows older one but not younger shouted over: "Is that your twin?" No-one ever believes they're not twins (or triplets with the oldest bro).:D

My 3 eldest kids are like clones, and there's some fair age gaps between em. It was bad at school though as No 2 got called No 1's name the whole way through, and then No 3 got called No 1 and No 2's name.:D

lol. I can relate to that scenario you painted. I can relate to it exactly. I give up correcting people half the time. I always say, we're not twins. We even confuse our GPs, dentists... It causes problems half the time.

My sister is only distinguishable for obvious reasons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Having had a twin who died in utero, I always wonder what it would be like and would we have dressed the same. Although as it was a fraternal twin, one of us might have looked funny.

that must feel kinda weird?
  • artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it looks a little creepy, like they are not individuals.
  • mmcdmmcd Posts: 8,558
    Forum Member
    I am a twin and my mum dressed my sister and me in exactly the same clothes but in different colours. I tended to wear shades of blue and my sister would wear pink/red. Even our specs were the same but mine were blue and my sister's were pink. :D I hated it. I would have loved to have been able to wear different clothes from my sister and I also hated being referred to as 'the twins'. :mad: I have noticed recently a lot of children, even ones who are a few years difference in ages, wearing the exact same clothes right down to the socks and shoes. What is all that about? Is this a new fad?
  • MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    I think it just looks weird. Although not as weird as those parents who dress kids of different ages in the same clothes. That just freaks me out.
  • jadesnannyjadesnanny Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    My twin sister and I were always dressed the same up to the age of 11.We didn't like being called the twins or twinnies.We don't dress the same anymore thank goodness.Sometimes I wish i wasn't a twin.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a child and was staying with my Grandparents, there were two old ladies who were twins living close by and they dressed exactly alike. I remember my Grandmother saying that they were in their 70's and had never been married and always lived together.

I used to be amused by it when I saw them walking down the road. They were often in pink and both were really fat. They had pink dresses, cadicans, shoes, hats and even handbags. Even at the young age I was, I thought it was odd and it certainly looked funny.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I genuinely and honestly do not understand why anyone would be bothered how someone else dresses their children
    Or indeed why it would bother anyone why two older ladies are dressed the same .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ah well who cares what a load of boring judgemental types think anyway?

dressing the same as a child isn't as bad as being a sychophant as an adult:sleep:
  • kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    There were a couple of elderly ladies in my neighbourhood that dressed the same and lived together all their lives, never married. When one died, the other died within 24 hours, it was an unexpected death as she did not have a known illness.
  • MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    Đirona wrote: »
    ah well who cares what a load of boring judgemental types think anyway?

dressing the same as a child isn't as bad as being a sychophant as an adult:sleep:

Surely it is more boring to dress your children in exactly the same clothes.

Do the parents have no imagination?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd dress my twins (if I ever have any) in different clothes if only to make it easier to tell them apart from a difference or without my glasses on, otherwise I can see them not being sure which name was theirs.