Bring back 'Big Deal'

NorthcroftNorthcroft Posts: 450
Forum Member
Hi all.

Further to my Goodies thread, how about a revival for the brilliant Big Deal?
I'm not suggesting Ray Brooks and Sharon Duce to be starring again, but 2 actors of similar ilk

Storylines again could be based on what they were, and a social edge could be shown with the rise of gambling and the spread of FOBTs

One story could have Robbie Box spunking the housekeeping on the roulette machines, and the scrapes he gets into etc

Another could show him lose at internet poker, and his missus going mental at him when the electric meter goes into emergency

I'm a little flippant maybe but you get my drift

Did anyone else love the show?
And do you think it could be updated for the 2010s?

Comments

• GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this, should get a repeat, as they repeat everything else, loved the theme tune, and didn't he call his mother sexpot or something :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuadGm1_rPM

Don't think an updated version would be very good though, as they rarely are.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,019
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't want a remake, but I'd definitely like a repeat. I don't think it's ever had a re-run. ITV3 could show it again, they've been repeating old beeb shows like The House of Eliot, Pie in the Sky and Goodnight Sweetheart.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Northcroft wrote: »
    spunking the housekeeping
    Is that an Essex thing?
  • chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my all time fav shows, Maybe the channel Yesterday could show it again, if they are showing Lovejoy at the moment no reason they could not show Big Deal I would have thought.
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Rather than a new series of one old programme, I'd like a series where several old series get one 'what's happened to everyone since it was last on telly' episode each...
  • ocoxocox Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How spooky, have just been watching Sharon Duce:):o:):o in Ghost Light (Doctor Who). I loved Big Deal when it was on TV, may have to get it on DVD.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    Glyn W wrote: »
    Rather than a new series of one old programme, I'd like a series where several old series get one 'what's happened to everyone since it was last on telly' episode each...

Ray Brooks and Pamela Cundell (Mrs Fox) went into Eastenders, the rest went into "The Bill"

It's probably on eof those series where the rights are muddied, Geoff McQueen (who created it) passed away in 1994, and I cannot recall seeing it repeated much on digi channels - this is usually a clue about murky ownership of rights.
  • pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want a remake, but I'd definitely like a repeat. I don't think it's ever had a re-run. ITV3 could show it again, they've been repeating old beeb shows like The House of Eliot, Pie in the Sky and Goodnight Sweetheart.

uk gold repeated it in the 90s
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Ray Brooks and Pamela Cundell (Mrs Fox) went into Eastenders, the rest went into "The Bill"

It's probably on eof those series where the rights are muddied, Geoff McQueen (who created it) passed away in 1994, and I cannot recall seeing it repeated much on digi channels - this is usually a clue about murky ownership of rights.

I meant a series showing what happened to the characters, not the actors.
  • Robbo222Robbo222 Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Ray Brooks writes about his experiences making Big Deal in his autobiography Learning My Lines which makes fascinating reading. It was one of the stand-out dramas of the 1980s and its a shame that they never released it all on dvd.