The 40 year old man propping up the nightclub bar

NorthcroftNorthcroft Posts: 450
Forum Member
Hi all

When I was a lad of 20-25 I used to go clubbing every weekend.
Mostly in the same places so after a while I'd recognise a lot of the clientele
There was one bloke, he was from the next village to me. Well he used to prop up the bar every week
He was and is a complete nobhead, but what stood him apart was he was 40 at the time.
When you're 25, the age of 40 seems ancient, and me and my mates used to laugh and sneer at him as he sat there eyeing up the local teenage chicks.
He bagged one this particular week and was doing unmentionable things with her at the bar, she was liking it and we thought it could be the turning point
No, a month later he was back single, and trying it on with the sixteen year olds again.

The reason I type this is I'm 40, and inside I still feel like a young snipe. And I reckon I could prop up the bar of that night club.
But, nowadays, do you think I'd be sneered at and called a saddo?
Or with the greater tolerance in society nowadays, do you think I'd be welcomed?

Comments

• EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That forty year old wasn't one bit bothered by what you twenty something lads thought about him, back then. If he was he wouldn't have been there al those nights.

So when you go and do exactly the same thing and the young men of 25 see you and think you're a saddo, why would you care?
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't be so shallow. That is all.
  • NorthcroftNorthcroft Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    That forty year old wasn't one bit bothered by what you twenty something lads thought about him, back then. If he was he wouldn't have been there al those nights.

So when you go and do exactly the same thing and the young men of 25 see you and think you're a saddo, why would you care?

Oh I wouldn't care. Not that I'm saying I'm off clubbing to pull all the girls who'd be impressed with my manner and chat,
    What I guess I'm asking is if you're younger, what do you think of a 40 year old bloke in a nightclub
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of bars which cater for the over 30's these days and no one would think you were sad if you hang out in those. Hanging around the local Ritzy which is full of underage drinkers and you will look a bit sleezy though
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if you go off with some 16 year olds you may be called worse than a saddo, but at least it will sound similar.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if you go off with some 16 year olds you may be called worse than a saddo, but at least it will sound similar.

16 is perfectly legal. ;)
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

...and if I pulled a 16-yr old I'd put it in the paper myself :p
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say it wasn't, but it doesn't change what some people would think. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northcroft wrote: »
    Oh I wouldn't care. Not that I'm saying I'm off clubbing to pull all the girls who'd be impressed with my manner and chat,
    What I guess I'm asking is if you're younger, what do you think of a 40 year old bloke in a nightclub

I used to go to raves in the 90s up to early 2000s and the "veterans" got a lot of respect of us young uns.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah most people would think you're a real weirdo. I used to work in a student bar and there was one lecherous old creep who would always come in and perv over the young people. We used to wonder what went wrong in his life that had him stuck in his teenage years.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends where you go. I'm 23 and often can be found in bars that are frequented by people much older than myself. But if you intend on going to the studenty cheap places then yes you will stick out like a sore thumb (Seriously, I feel old in those sometimes).

I'm a big believer in doing what makes you happy though and if going and standing in said studenty nightclub makes you happy then you go for it! Sod what anyone thinks.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Yeah most people would think you're a real weirdo. I used to work in a student bar and there was one lecherous old creep who would always come in and perv over the young people. We used to wonder what went wrong in his life that had him stuck in his teenage years.

Presenting all those TOTP's ;):eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    Hi all

There was one bloke, he was from the next village to me. Well he used to prop up the bar every week
    He was and is a complete nobhead, but what stood him apart was he was 40 at the time.
    When you're 25, the age of 40 seems ancient, and me and my mates used to laugh and sneer at him as he sat there eyeing up the local teenage chicks.
    He bagged one this particular week and was doing unmentionable things with her at the bar, she was liking it and we thought it could be the turning point
    No, a month later he was back single, and trying it on with the sixteen year olds again.

The reason I type this is I'm 40, and inside I still feel like a young snipe. And I reckon I could prop up the bar of that night club.
    Or with the greater tolerance in society nowadays, do you think I'd be welcomed?

Now you know why a lot of twenty-somethings are so annoying ;)

We will tolerate.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all

:D Now you know that guy had the body of a 40 year old but inside his head he was still in his 20s! Personally I couldn't be arsed now. I was never that keen on clubs anyway. It was a means to an end and I did it because that's what people did!
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to go to raves in the 90s up to early 2000s and the "veterans" got a lot of respect of us young uns.

Yep. I'd probably be considered a "veteran" now.:D:eek:
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 18 year olds there no doubt thought your 25 year old self was ancient too...

One of the cruel facts of this world is that it's not so much your age but how old you look. A bald wrinkled guy at 25 could easily be made to feel out of place in a night club where a 40 year old who looks 30 would be fine.

So, moisturise people.
  • Aztec23Aztec23 Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in 30s, and hardly ever go to nightclubs, but I'm told I look young for my age to around the mid 20s mark.

I think though in relation to today's genre music, I don't think I'll last very long.

I'm flattered though by the younger girls looking at me, but never the less, a lot of people in their 40s now have aged better.

It's down to how you feel OP, but you gotta try and leave all the preconceptions at home and just try and enjoy yourself.

True on what somebody mentioned here that the rave scene in the 90s basically welcomed everyone and that they enjoyed themselves and had a good time.:)
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember going back to my student union night after I graduated. I had only just graduated and was still only 21 but I still felt so old in there! A second year (aged 19) started chatting me up and I was so embarrased when I had to tell him my age. He looked at me like I was really old, even though I was only 2 years older!
    Forum Member
    Shappy wrote: »
    I remember going back to my student union night after I graduated. I had only just graduated and was still only 21 but I still felt so old in there! A second year (aged 19) started chatting me up and I was so embarrased when I had to tell him my age. He looked at me like I was really old, even though I was only 2 years older!

Bright university then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why did you tell him? I started uni at 23, I never let on my age!
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member

A 19 year old thought that a 21 year old was 'too old' for them?

What a plonker.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    Why did you tell him? I started uni at 23, I never let on my age!

Very wise. To an 18 year old, 23 *is* ancient. Nothing worse that being defined as a "mature student".
  • WeeblesWobbleWeeblesWobble Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone in the bar by themselves is sad, regardless of age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    A 19 year old thought that a 21 year old was 'too old' for them?

What a plonker.

That's pretty normal though. It's just like in school, where different years could essentially be different species, even though some people would only be a matter of days older/younger than each other.
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Very wise. To an 18 year old, 23 *is* ancient. Nothing worse that being defined as a "mature student".

I remember when I was 18 - and 23 didn't seem old. May be when I saw a slightly wrinkled face did I think that they must be thirties or forties, which seemed old at the time because they stood out more - but it wasn't their age per se.