Options

The 40 year old man propping up the nightclub bar

2»

Comments

• Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    That's pretty normal though. It's just like in school, where different years could essentially be different species, even though some people would only be a matter of days older/younger than each other.

I remember being 19, and I would have thought a 21 year old would as being pretty much the same age to me. School is different, e.g. 17 versus 15, that's more of a difference. But not university and 21 versus 19.

I don't believe that even today many 19 year old guys would be at all phased by a woman being 21, and I'm not sure many would seriously consider her as an 'older woman'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    Anyone in the bar by themselves is sad, regardless of age.

This is a matter of perception surely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Northcroft wrote: »
    Hi all

When I was a lad of 20-25 I used to go clubbing every weekend.
    Mostly in the same places so after a while I'd recognise a lot of the clientele
    There was one bloke, he was from the next village to me. Well he used to prop up the bar every week
    He was and is a complete nobhead, but what stood him apart was he was 40 at the time.
    When you're 25, the age of 40 seems ancient, and me and my mates used to laugh and sneer at him as he sat there eyeing up the local teenage chicks.
    He bagged one this particular week and was doing unmentionable things with her at the bar, she was liking it and we thought it could be the turning point
    No, a month later he was back single, and trying it on with the sixteen year olds again.

The reason I type this is I'm 40, and inside I still feel like a young snipe. And I reckon I could prop up the bar of that night club.
    But, nowadays, do you think I'd be sneered at and called a saddo?
    Or with the greater tolerance in society nowadays, do you think I'd be welcomed?

Not really. Unlike homophobia and racism which at least had the vague pretence of moving on, being educated and more liberal today, ageism is still a perfectly acceptable prejudice to have. I don't think ageism will ever go away.
  • Options
    Aztec23Aztec23 Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've never showed up to a nightclub on my own and don't think I ever would unless I was on holiday in another city or sort of on a 'fly-by-night'.

Pubwise, don't really bother me as such during the day at lunch as I don't order any alcohol and in the evenings, it'd be a case of winding down in front of the footy or be playing a game of pool.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I used to go to raves in the 90s up to early 2000s and the "veterans" got a lot of respect of us young uns.

Same in the rock/goth/industrial/alternative clubs. We generally considered older folk as quite cool for not selling out and still being into that kind of music. At 40, me and my pals still go now and again. Never really felt awkward or out of place, it's quite a mixed crowd.
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking about 'Age' and changing the subject slightly, my husband has just retired at the age of 65.
    We have started going supermarket shopping midweek during the morning, and we feel like spring chickens compared to the majority of other shoppers :)
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flower 2 wrote: »
    Talking about 'Age' and changing the subject slightly, my husband has just retired at the age of 65.
    We have started going supermarket shopping midweek during the morning, and we feel like spring chickens compared to the majority of other shoppers :)

65 is one of those funny ages where you can essentially be like a 40 year old or an 80 year old, depending on how you've taken care of yourself and your genes.
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    65 is one of those funny ages where you can essentially be like a 40 year old or an 80 year old, depending on how you've taken care of yourself and your genes.

I must point out that I am 7 years younger than him :D
  • Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,163
    Forum Member
    Northcroft wrote: »

The reason I type this is I'm 40, and inside I still feel like a young snipe. And I reckon I could prop up the bar of that night club.
    But, nowadays, do you think I'd be sneered at and called a saddo?

Oh, I'm sure you wouldn't.

Oh, hang on.

Go for it, OP. No-one minds, no-one's looking! I shall be propping up a nightclub bar tonight, despite being in my mid-40s and...AND...shock, horror! On my own! In my defence, though, I shan't be eyeing up the local teenage chicks..er, birds...er, women! Damn! Women!

I'll be sure to look out for Weebles up there, though chances are he'll be staying in watching some mind-numbing reality show garbage while I'm checking out some top-notch popular beat combos. I know who'll have the most fun.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bright university then.

Are you being sarcastic? It was a good university.
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    Why did you tell him? I started uni at 23, I never let on my age!

I didn't offer the information: it came up in conversation. He asked me which department I was in or something, and I told him I was doing a masters degree at another nearby university. He then immediately asked how old I was. As a summer baby, I was always one of the youngest in my year, so I had only just turned 21 as well.
    Very wise. To an 18 year old, 23 *is* ancient. Nothing worse that being defined as a "mature student".

I dropped out of the first masters I attempted at 21 and went back (to a different course) aged 24 having worked for a couple of years. For some reason, the vast majority of people on that course were straight out of their first degrees so aged 21. They used to call me a mature student and thought I was quite "old". About a decade later, I am still friends with some of them and now the age difference feels like nothing: we are all in our thirties!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same in the rock/goth/industrial/alternative clubs. We generally considered older folk as quite cool for not selling out and still being into that kind of music. At 40, me and my pals still go now and again. Never really felt awkward or out of place, it's quite a mixed crowd.

Yeah, I used to fancy all the older guys who were in these clubs when I started going. Now I'm 35 and there are still people older than me, which is cool. :cool:
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    We're only here once so get stuck in while you're still able to.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit, since I turned 30, on the rare occasion I go to a club I tend to prefer one geared towards 30+ people nowadays.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one will know. Just tell them you are 30.