Options

Sneezing to hell after quitting the smokes

NorthcroftNorthcroft Posts: 450
Forum Member
Hi all
Has anyone else had this?
I smoked for 21 years until I quit on August 6 2012
Been on the Niquitin tabs since btw

Anyway, all has been good, don't particularly have cravings or want any but I can't stop sneezing

It came on in winter time, January I think, and every night ill lay in bed before sleeping and sneeze about 12-15 times

This last week it's escalated though, today I must have sneezed 100-150 times

Anyone else had it or heard of it? And any solutions you come up with?

Comments

• Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Maybe an allergy that was masked by the smoking. It might just be a sign that your respiratory system is repairing itself, or it might be something else.

If it's a concern, go see your doc - he'll run you through allergy testing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northcroft wrote: »
    Hi all
    Has anyone else had this?
    I smoked for 21 years until I quit on August 6 2012
    Been on the Niquitin tabs since btw

Anyway, all has been good, don't particularly have cravings or want any but I can't stop sneezing

It came on in winter time, January I think, and every night ill lay in bed before sleeping and sneeze about 12-15 times

This last week it's escalated though, today I must have sneezed 100-150 times

Anyone else had it or heard of it? And any solutions you come up with?

I believe it has something to do with tiny little hairs growing back in your throat and nasal passages which were often burnt or killed off by the smoke. That's why people often get a tickly throat after stopping smoking.
  • Options
    NorthcroftNorthcroft Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    So the only way ill stop sneezing is to start smoking again?
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I've suffered from the same since quitting, summer and winter but worse in the summer. Aggravated by pollen, whisky, some beers and down filled pillows or quilts.

I assume hay fever that was masked by the gunk in my sinuses. I find over the counter one a day antihistamines suppress the worst of it. There's a couple of varieties so you need to play around with them