Options

ED's Cain is turning into EE's Phil!

Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
No one calls the police in ED anymore, just Cain! The amount of times, for example, in tonight's episode that Cain was mentioned when they were talking about Belle's attack!

Cain is the one that is feared, just like Phil is in EE.

Comments

• Options
    lola_connorlola_connor Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    No one calls the police in ED anymore, just Cain! The amount of times, for example, in tonight's episode that Cain was mentioned when they were talking about Belle's attack!

Cain is the one that is feared, just like Phil is in EE.
    I think they should do a soap crossover with those two there's no way they would get on and you know there would be a fight.
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Except the difference is Cain has had development and they've toned him down after Zak attacked him 2 years ago. He protects his family, but he doesn't get involved in anything dodgy anymore after settling with Moira. Phil is treated like an unbeatable baddie who everyone should fear and bow down to.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Mel94 wrote: »
    Except the difference is Cain has had development and they've toned him down after Zak attacked him 2 years ago. He protects his family, but he doesn't get involved in anything dodgy anymore after settling with Moira. Phil is treated like an unbeatable baddie who everyone should fear and bow down to.

I agree! Cain has matured and settled down becoming more mellow as he gets older. He's believable as an older man with a past reputation as a hard man. He is also quite trim and looks fit whereas Phil doesn't look like he could run around the Square even once. Worse than that Phil has won against muscular, fit young men half his age in one on one fights. Phil just isn't credible, all this "you're a Mitchell" stuff is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with that, but it just stood out in last night's episode how Cain was the one mentioned all the time when talking about his family and protecting it etc. Just got me thinking :)
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    I agree! Cain has matured and settled down becoming more mellow as he gets older. He's believable as an older man with a past reputation as a hard man. He is also quite trim and looks fit whereas Phil doesn't look like he could run around the Square even once. Worse than that Phil has won against muscular, fit young men half his age in one on one fights. Phil just isn't credible, all this "you're a Mitchell" stuff is ridiculous.
    That woman he abducted the other week didn't seem very impressed with his reputation - in fact she'd never even heard of him :D

There's a car stealing scam going on right under his nose at the farm & he hasn't even noticed.
    The old Cain wouldn't have been blind to that!

He hasn't matured or settled down - he's just had a character re-write!
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    Better than Phil, his character has evolved
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand Cain has to change but he's become a totally different character even my gran can't stand him now she always skips any scene's he's in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong, I love Cain. It just struck me last night how much his family and the Whites were talking about him in all that was going on.
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with that, but it just stood out in last night's episode how Cain was the one mentioned all the time when talking about his family and protecting it etc. Just got me thinking :)

I have been thinking exactly the same thing and it's getting boring ....Cain's character has been completely ruined imo,,,get him away from Moira and bring the old Cain back..
  • Options
    sunny daysunny day Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big difference is Cain has developed and matured with still a hard side if needed....Phil is exactly the same as he has been for the last 20 years or more and struts around as if she owns the place..another big difference Cain is gorgeous with a beautiful wife and Phil has Sharon:D:D
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Don't get me wrong, I love Cain. It just struck me last night how much his family and the Whites were talking about him in all that was going on.

Yes I noticed that too they did seem afraid of him which I found strange because how do they know anything about their new neighbour Cain's reputation yet?
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did notice they used it a lot last night, which was a bit OTT.

On the whole though, I think the Dingles would expect either Cain or Zak to deal with teenager(s) who were assaulting Belle, and as they all seem to think Zak is unable to cope with anything these days, then Cain by default is the one they'll call on - and they treat him like an attack dog anyway.

Why wouldn't Chrissie have heard about the Dingles' reputation - and Cain's especially? He's the local psycho! It doesn't matter that just about everyone in the village has done terrible things, Cain's the one who goes around conducting vengeance campaigns and starting fights, so he's the one whose reputation precedes him. :D Blimmin' eck we all know people who you don't get on the wrong side of, because one way or another they'll make your life a misery,whether it's old fashioned intimidation or having the police and council on speed dial as a weapon. Val warned her off Cain, Charity and Debbie a few weeks ago in the pub. Robert will know Cain of old, and they also employ Nicola, whose one regret in life is that no one employs town criers any more. Pearl's bound to have cornered them in the pub, shop or cafe, and filled in any gaps about the locals that Nicola missed out. :D

I've no idea what Phil's like these days, but I think that they've shown quite a believable character progression for Cain, especially as the Dingles do seem to be expecting him to fill Zak's shoes (Zak being considered generally past it by the family:o). It's not a huge surprise that he didn't scare Maxine. She's running a protection racket in a prison, she's probably a pretty hardened criminal herself.

If you want a proper gangster in soap there's always River City's Lenny Murdoch (Frank Gallagher) - who is in his fifties and you certainly wouldn't get on the wrong side of him. He's portrayed not just as a hard man, but as one who's involved in serious organised crime, and is capable of cold blooded murder, yet lives and runs legitimate businesses in the community (well, legit on the surface). The Glasgow Hardman is a Glaswegian cliche that they like to perpetuate, but he still comes across as a character who you would know not to mess with, regardless of his age and physical fitness. I think with his past they would have had to have Cain go down this route if they hadn't chosen to mellow him instead, and frankly there's enough crime in ED without going down the Lenny Murdoch path! I think Lenny works in a Glasgow set soap along with the much more decent, warmer likeable characters to balance him out, because it is a kind of cultural cliche about Glasgow, and it allows them to build in stories about serious social problems like drug dealing, which they usually handle well but it can be very, very dark at times. I think ED was in danger of going down that route and is pulling back from it.

I do agree that cain's being slow to rumble the car scam though - especially as he doesn't trust Charity as far as he can throw her.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    sunny day wrote: »
    big difference is Cain has developed and matured with still a hard side if needed....Phil is exactly the same as he has been for the last 20 years or more and struts around as if she owns the place..another big difference Cain is gorgeous with a beautiful wife and Phil has Sharon:D:D

Haha! Great post. Also I like the typo ;-)
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That woman he abducted the other week didn't seem very impressed with his reputation - in fact she'd never even heard of him :D

There's a car stealing scam going on right under his nose at the farm & he hasn't even noticed.
    The old Cain wouldn't have been blind to that!

He hasn't matured or settled down - he's just had a character re-write!

bib: True. He would have joined in!

Never liked Cain, but at least his tiresome bully boy ways have been toned down. Unlike EE's Phil.
  • Options
    masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member

Did I imagine Phil comforting Ian after Lucy's death or accepting Ben's sexuality. Cain still bullies people when he wants to and Phil was never as nasty as him when his own father had to smash his skull in. Still maybe because Cain is 'gorgeous' people pick what to see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zak's already phoning Cain!
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another big difference is that Cain is hot and Phil looks like a potato.
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member

Not really. He only became a comical super-villain after Grant left. Before that he was the down-to-earth Mitchell brother who had to keep Grant in check.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cain is not follically challenged.