Options

Should the BBC promote terrorism ?

jpjjpj Posts: 829
Forum Member
✭✭
Every time the BBC show terrorist attacks they promote the terrorists, is it right the non political BBC ( LOL ) be allowed to promote terrorism ?

Comments

• Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would you have them do? Just talk about it and not show what's going on? How would you be able to believe them?

What's your problem with the BBC?

What news agency do you believe in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have a blanket ban on terror attacks for all the media.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, because if you don't talk about it then it'll just go away...

*rolls eyes*
  • Options
    pje1979pje1979 Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    I would have thought showing terror attacks is doing the opposite of promoting it. People don't like being blown up you see. When people see it on the news it does the terrorists case harm not good, except in the case of the hard-liners who don't need the promotion anyway.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jpj wrote: »
    Every time the BBC show terrorist attacks they promote the terrorists, is it right the non political BBC ( LOL ) be allowed to promote terrorism ?

The BBC (and other news channels as well as all parts of the press) don't promote terrorism, they report it.

It's pretty newsworthy!

Would you rather we were completely oblivious to terrorism? How would that benefit us?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would think the coverage by the media was of more worth to the terrorists than the actual event that caused the interest to the media, take a funeral recently of an Irish terrorist, why was it shown ? It was not even newsworthy or could it have been the masked girlmen shooting potato guns over the coffin that got the editors of BBC news creaming their pants ?
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    I would go further. I think all news agencies should show unedited footage of the aftermath of terrorist attacks as I think this is one of the ways to make the soft supporters (who give lip service and the occasional donation but who wouldn't dream of ever committing an act themselves) realise just exactly what it is they are supporting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I can just imagine it back at 9/11.

Breaking news two skyscrapers disappear in America, we know what happened you don't, no news later.
  • Options
    pje1979pje1979 Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    whip wrote: »

Breaking news two skyscrapers disappear in America, we know what happened you don't, no news later.

Made me smile :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whip wrote: »

BREAKING NEWS: SOMETHING HAS HAPPENED. MORE LATER
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS: SOMETHING HAS HAPPENED. MORE LATER

Perfect the terrorists will be doing their nuts.
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about all the other news companies? Should they be allowed to report on acts of terror or is it just the Beeb you have issue with?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I said above all media, but the BBC seem to take particular pleasure in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idea a terrorist blows up a bomb remotely and starts scouring the websites and news channels sounds like a load of tosh to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,893
    Forum Member
    As I said above all media, but the BBC seem to take particular pleasure in it.

What, reporting news?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it now politically incorrect to report the truth? Nineteen-eighty-four begins in two-thousand-and-nine.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And now over to someone talking about Susan Boyle. Everything else is to dangerous to report.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it now politically incorrect to report the truth? Nineteen-eighty-four begins in two-thousand-and-nine.

Well we know the BNP don't like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EvilMeMeMe wrote: »
    What, reporting news?

Now dont be silly, I mean gloryfying terrorism, how is playing a tape of sumo ben larden news that the world has to hear, the media just reports it hoping it causes more attrocities, I will give you an example if you can guess this question.

What is a newspapers best selling front page article and it outsells any other headline in the hundreds of thousands ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now dont be silly, I mean gloryfying terrorism, how is playing a tape of sumo ben larden news that the world has to hear, the media just reports it hoping it causes more attrocities, I will give you an example if you can guess this question.

What is a newspapers best selling front page article and it outsells any other headline in the hundreds of thousands ?

sumo
    ben
    larden

(sic)

Says it all about this thread!

There's a difference between glorifying terrorism and reporting that it happened.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, why are you promoting terrorism by talking about it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because I am not supplying images to go with it which makes it a much more powerful promotion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So reporting terrorism on the radio would be OK?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the radio would be fine as long as they dont say where it happened or who caused it, why do you think the terrorists ring up to say they did it !!!

Bring back the Welsh at least they have a bit of sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7 Oct 2001 - imagine Bliar & Shrub telling us why they are invading Afghanistan

"Well there's this bad thing that happened but we can't tell you about it, but we think the person involved is in Afghanistan so we are invading "