The Poor Treatment of Gordon Brown

sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So Gordon Brown has recieved 8 apologies and corrections from News International over incorrect stories about him.

Amazing how none of the anti Brown camp mention these.

http://labourlist.org/2013/03/news-international-have-issued-eight-corrections-to-stories-about-gordon-brownin-just-six-months/

Seems to me he does a lot of good work.

Comments

• Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He many not have made the best PM ever, but he was treated very poorly during his time in charge. There's no doubt about that.

The double standards are/were ridiculous.

The personal questions about his mental health were beyond vulgar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing you can't fault is his work ethic. He is a workaholic.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sensoria wrote: »
    So Gordon Brown has recieved 8 apologies and corrections from News International over incorrect stories about him.

Amazing how none of the anti Brown camp mention these.

http://labourlist.org/2013/03/news-international-have-issued-eight-corrections-to-stories-about-gordon-brownin-just-six-months/

Seems to me he does a lot of good work.

Amazing how non of the pro-camp have mentioned these.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »

What do you make of the lies printed about him? Pretty disgusting wouldn't you agree? Led to all sorts of chatter on public media sites about things that were not true. Egg on a lot of faces now...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britain experienced deflation in 2009. The fiscal and monetary measures taken by Brown and Darling prevented a nightmare experienced by for example the USA in the 1930s. When prices are falling people stop buying. Economic activity can slow by a frightening amount. Many millions more could have become unemployed in Britain than actually were.

Would a Cameron and Osborne government have done the necessary stimulus fiscal as well as monetary? I doubt they would for the same reasons they're against stimulus now. It'll be interesting to see what they do if deflation returns, as might happen when QE no longer does the trick.

Tories aren't nearly so critical of QE as they were three or four years ago. :)
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "anti Brown camp" as you put it is only really bothered about what Brown did as Chancellor and then PM. Beyond that, I doubt anybody gives much of a toss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    The "anti Brown camp" as you put it is only really bothered about what Brown did as Chancellor and then PM. Beyond that, I doubt anybody gives much of a toss.

I'm sure a trawl of post history's will show that to be not exactly true...

;)
  • ExiledchillerExiledchiller Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many false stories by rupet murdochs news of the world

You'd be forgiven for thinking they just made any old crap up just tonattack him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    What do you make of the lies printed about him? Pretty disgusting wouldn't you agree? Led to all sorts of chatter on public media sites about things that were not true. Egg on a lot of faces now...

Yes it is quite disgusting the personal attacks on the man, and any other lies the tabloids say about other MPs too. I wouldn't wipe my arse on most papers.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was a dreadful PM that shouldn't have been there. But some of the attacks on him were terrible and very personal. The one about his handwriting on a letter of condolence to a soldier's family and the printing of his son's disability particularly stuck in my mind.

There was whiney thread here today by a Tory supporter, which got removed, saying he's never seen so many attacks on a government as he's seeing now. I think the starter of that must have a very short memory.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing you can't fault is his work ethic. He is a workaholic.

Must have two jobs then. His attendance record in the one where he's an MP is a joke.

Interesting that his latest claim against the Sunday Times was shot down by the PCC - and rightly so.
    The Press Complaints Commission has rejected claims by Gordon Brown’s office that an article reporting how the former Prime Minister has received more than £2m in fees and expenses since leaving office amounted to a “deliberate slur”.

The article, published on 9 December 2012 and headlined “Globe-trotting Gordon Brown loses his voice”, reported that Brown had “not spoken in parliament for more than a year while crisscrossing the globe to maintain an international profile”.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »

Well I couldn't mention it as I didn't know about them, probably because I don't read newspapers, especially 'The Sun'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure a trawl of post history's will show that to be not exactly true...

;)

There's been some fun poked at him over the amusing notion of him having to cancel a speech at the UN (or wherever it was) because the only bloke there was the reporter from the BBC or something. I think I heard about that on HIGNFY. Made me laugh.
    Same with the mickey taking about how sightings of Brown in the House of Commons in the past two and a half years compares to sightings of Elvis/Nessie or a meaningful Ed Miliband question at PMQs - nowt wrong with that either and certainly nothing to apologize for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Must have two jobs then. His attendance record in the one where he's an MP is a joke.

His attendance record as an MP in parliament may not be up to standard but you don't know how hard he is working as an MP in his constituency for his constituents.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    He was a dreadful PM that shouldn't have been there. But some of the attacks on him were terrible and very personal. The one about his handwriting on a letter of condolence to a soldier's family and the printing of his son's disability particularly stuck in my mind.

There was whiney thread here today by a Tory supporter, which got removed, saying he's never seen so many attacks on a government as he's seeing now. I think the starter of that must have a very short memory.

I remember beiong on DS at that time and most Tory supporters condemned the Sun for the Sun story over his letter. Sorry OP that this does not suit your pre conceived agenda. You can probably find the post if you search through the archives.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His attendance record as an MP in parliament may not be up to standard but you don't know how hard he is working as an MP in his constituency for his constituents.

And there was me thinking that heading off on a regular basis, speaking publicly around the world - all those flights, all those hotels, all those hours spent crafting new speechs would undoubtedly eat into a MP's schedule.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was terrible at public speaking which is the prime requirement for a prime minister.

Mind you, George Bush was even worse.
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    He many not have made the best PM ever, but he was treated very poorly during his time in charge. There's no doubt about that.

The double standards are/were ridiculous.

The personal questions about his mental health were beyond vulgar.

Look a what a lot of Labour fans post on this forum though, calling Tory politicians evil, despicable etc. It goes both ways.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    There's been some fun poked at him over the amusing notion of him having to cancel a speech at the UN (or wherever it was) because the only bloke there was the reporter from the BBC or something. I think I heard about that on HIGNFY. Made me laugh.
    Same with the mickey taking about how sightings of Brown in the House of Commons in the past two and a half years compares to sightings of Elvis/Nessie or a meaningful Ed Miliband question at PMQs - nowt wrong with that either and certainly nothing to apologize for.

IN an article “Gordon is browned off” (Sept 28) we stated that a Gordon Brown press conference in New York was cancelled when only one reporter turned up. We would like to make it clear that Mr Brown was delayed at an earlier United Nations meeting which overran, paying tribute to Aung San Suu Kyi. We are happy to clarify the position.

That one?
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When he walked his kids out of number 10 on his last day I felt sorry for him. I'm sure he had his faults, who doesn't. But I do believe he was badly treated by the press.
    Forum Member
    IN an article “Gordon is browned off” (Sept 28) we stated that a Gordon Brown press conference in New York was cancelled when only one reporter turned up. We would like to make it clear that Mr Brown was delayed at an earlier United Nations meeting which overran, paying tribute to Aung San Suu Kyi. We are happy to clarify the position.

That one?

The press conference was still cancelled as only one journo could be bothered to wait for him. Seems Brown has an extremely thin skin if he is complaining about stuff like this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    And there was me thinking that heading off on a regular basis, speaking publicly around the world - all those flights, all those hotels, all those hours spent crafting new speechs would undoubtedly eat into a MP's schedule.

Well I guess as with all MP's his constituents will have the chance to show their approval/disapproval at the next GE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That one?

I dunno. Have there been that many you feel the need to eliminate this one from the list of possibilities? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I guess as with all MP's his constituents will have the chance to show their approval/disapproval at the next GE.

To be fair, I doubt he'll stand at the next election.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Look a what a lot of Labour fans post on this forum though, calling Tory politicians evil, despicable etc. It goes both ways.

There's a difference between calling someone despicable from that of a calculated personal assault on someones mental health.

If someone thinks Brown is evil, well, that's up to them, their choice, I don't think too many would be bothered by that. Spreading vicious rumours etc about what medication he may or may not be taking is something else.