Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why was Martin's mother reading "50 Shades of Grey?"

To find out what she'd missed???? :D:D
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because it is about shadow-masochism and she is a bona fide sadist from what we are told. Probably to get new and fresh ideas to make people suffer. It's perfect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Because it is about shadow-masochism and she is a bona fide sadist from what we are told. Probably to get new and fresh ideas to make people suffer. It's perfect.

I should check my posts closer...you know what I mean...sado-masochism. Grrrr
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought it was yet another sexual proclivity I wasn't aware of (and afraid to google to find out).
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I googled shadow masochism and there is an article with that title about a woman artist:

http://www.timeoutbengaluru.net/art/features/shadow-masochism
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sometimes I think it might be heavy-handed symbolism. They probably couldn't resist using it, it is too perfect. But it is subtle enough that most viewers aren't going to notice what she is reading.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Sometimes I think it might be heavy-handed symbolism. They probably couldn't resist using it, it is too perfect. But it is subtle enough that most viewers aren't going to notice what she is reading.

If viewers don't notice that Margaret was reading "50 Shades of Grey" and what the book was about, they must be from another planet. I noticed that when she stoppped reading the book and laid it flat on the kitchen table to mark her place and turned to talk to Martin, the corners of the cover of the book were curled up, as if she wasn't the first person who read that copy--oh yes, gets you thinking who passed this copy on to her.;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    My guess is Morwenna. The book did well in the 18-23 demographic, second only to the 55-62 demographic
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not too sure how many Australians peruse the forum these days, but just in case some of you are lurking out there (hiya cc.cookie!), it looks like Series 6 will begin on ABC1 at 7.30pm on Saturday 1st February! Yeeha!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would bet they threw the book into the scene just for a hoot!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »

Of course it's for a hoot...it's perfect...perhaps it's dog eared because she reads it over and over again...probably brought in by someone on the production team.....BP wouldn't pay good money for it.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And it wouldn't surprise me if the idea came from someone with the initials "M" and "C".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    And it wouldn't surprise me if the idea came from someone with the initials "M" and "C".

;-) 0r even Claire Bloom herself!
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShopGirl - to sidetrack as to Margaret's reading material, although I wish it to continue, (please!!) I was wondering about Martin's Lexus. Is this the same model and year as the one he started out with in S1? In S6 the car doesn't have that aerial thing on the roof so it can't be the current model.
    Also, throughout this series the women mostly wear skirts or dresses, very few with slacks. The only one I can think of was AJ, but given she owned the farm, that was appropriate. AR never wears slacks. In fact, her trademark attire is the slim skirt, dark stockings and leather flats. Louisa only wore slacks during S3 when Holly came to visit her after the concert, the jeans when proposed to and I believe the episode in S3 when LG invited ME for dinner. Also, the styles of clothing are all classic lines, which, down the road in years to come you cannot pinpoint the exact year of filming the series. The giveaway is the electronics--the computer, the laptop and the cell phones, and now in S6 the ipad.
    As to the males, their mode of clothing could be anywhere from 1990's to present and beyond, IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »
    ShopGirl - to sidetrack as to Margaret's reading material, although I wish it to continue, (please!!) I was wondering about Martin's Lexus. Is this the same model and year as the one he started out with in S1? In S6 the car doesn't have that aerial thing on the roof so it can't be the current model.
    Also, throughout this series the women mostly wear skirts or dresses, very few with slacks. The only one I can think of was AJ, but given she owned the farm, that was appropriate. AR never wears slacks. In fact, her trademark attire is the slim skirt, dark stockings and leather flats. Louisa only wore slacks during S3 when Holly came to visit her after the concert, the jeans when proposed to and I believe the episode in S3 when LG invited ME for dinner. Also, the styles of clothing are all classic lines, which, down the road in years to come you cannot pinpoint the exact year of filming the series. The giveaway is the electronics--the computer, the laptop and the cell phones, and now in S6 the ipad.
    As to the males, their mode of clothing could be anywhere from 1990's to present and beyond, IMO.

I like the evolution of Louisa's attire. She went from dressing in jeans for work, to dresses. It shows a level of maturity and a little more class more fitting to a married woman and a professional. I liked a lot of what she wore this series compared to some of the outfits she wore in the past. Not everything was spot on though. Now if she can just ditch those henley pj's and Martin those grandpa pajamas. No wonder they struggled in the marriage bed!
    Forum Member
    One thing I would really like to see in S7 is Louisa openly declaring how she feels/her love for Martin, to Martin.

I don't recall other than the two times she told him she loved him (end of S2 after the drunken night of confessions and when she left him before their non-wedding), she ever said anything to that effect.

While she was the one to criticize that their relationship "isn't going anywhere", it seems like he's the only one to openly tell her how he feels (even though twice one or the other was under the influence). S2 he tells her that he loves her after they had been drinking, S3 he tells her he can't live without her when he asks her to marry him, S5 at the castle, and then if you think about it closely (even though he doesn't say the words) he's certainly asking her to help him be a better husband and to me that says "I love you enough to ask for your help" in S6 pre-surgery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    " Originally Posted by marchrand
    ShopGirl - to sidetrack as to Margaret's reading material, although I wish it to continue, (please!!) I was wondering about Martin's Lexus. Is this the same model and year as the one he started out with in S1? In S6 the car doesn't have that aerial thing on the roof so it can't be the current model. "

I think there have been three separate Lexus' (Lexii?) used across the show's run. The first was an LS 430. Maybe a 460 now?
    Forum Member
    " Originally Posted by marchrand
    ShopGirl - to sidetrack as to Margaret's reading material, although I wish it to continue, (please!!) I was wondering about Martin's Lexus. Is this the same model and year as the one he started out with in S1? In S6 the car doesn't have that aerial thing on the roof so it can't be the current model. "

I think there have been three separate Lexus' (Lexii?) used across the show's run. The first was an LS 430. Maybe a 460 now?

Speaking of cars, what kind of car was that classic that Bert drove them to the lodge in after their wedding?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    One thing I would really like to see in S7 is Louisa openly declaring how she feels/her love for Martin, to Martin.

I don't recall other than the two times she told him she loved him (end of S2 after the drunken night of confessions and when she left him before their non-wedding), she ever said anything to that effect.

While she was the one to criticize that their relationship "isn't going anywhere", it seems like he's the only one to openly tell her how he feels (even though twice one or the other was under the influence). S2 he tells her that he loves her after they had been drinking, S3 he tells her he can't live without her when he asks her to marry him, S5 at the castle, and then if you think about it closely (even though he doesn't say the words) he's certainly asking her to help him be a better husband and to me that says "I love you enough to ask for your help" in S6 pre-surgery.

I'm probably totally wrong but I see this as a integral part of Martin's progress that we hope to see in S7. She needs to tell him, "I love YOU, Martin" with all of his strange habits and foibles, with his lack of flexibility, with his reticence and lack of casual conversational skill. She needs to tell him that she just loves the man that he is. No more, no less. Perhaps then he will accept that he deserves it.
    Forum Member
    I'm probably totally wrong but I see this as a integral part of Martin's progress that we hope to see in S7. She needs to tell him, "I love YOU, Martin" with all of his strange habits and foibles, with his lack of flexibility, with his reticence and lack of casual conversational skill. She needs to tell him that she just loves the man that he is. No more, no less. Perhaps then he will accept that he deserves it.

Exactly. As I've been thinking about the conversation that Martin had with Aunt Ruth where she verbalizes what he is thinking (that he doesn't think he deserves the love of someone like Louisa) I can almost see why he would think that...because we've rarely, very rarely if ever have heard her say that to him. That's got to be huge.

I think it took a lot for him to say the emotional and feeling things he has said to her. We need to see her do the same because I think other than anger or frustration, expressing her deepest feelings of love for him is just as difficult for her as it is for him.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    Exactly. As I've been thinking about the conversation that Martin had with Aunt Ruth where she verbalizes what he is thinking (that he doesn't think he deserves the love of someone like Louisa) I can almost see why he would think that...because we've rarely, very rarely if ever have heard her say that to him. That's got to be huge.

I think it took a lot for him to say the emotional and feeling things he has said to her. We need to see her do the same because I think other than anger or frustration, expressing her deepest feelings of love for him is just as difficult for her as it is for him.

Caroline Catz said something at least tangentially relevant to this on the "Doc Martin Revealed" documentary that KCET filmed and that PBS stations are using for fund-raising. Her comment was that they were both "British" and therefore quite reserved and each one waited for the other go first in the expression of emotion. Louisa seems not to have not been driven to quite the extremes that Martin has; i.e. to blurt out her feelings as a last resort to salvaging an imminent loss.

But wouldn't it have made things smoother if she could have added to "but I'm you're wife" ..."and I love you." Just for one example.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Week 1 of Portwenn Survivor has claimed its first victim.

S2E9 On the Edge

Has been thrown out of the surgery!

There were a lot of different episodes receiving votes - in fact, exactly half of the 46 episodes had at least one vote.

So now you can vote for the next episode to be thrown out. And please, participate in the survey to talk about the meanings of the episode title for "On the Edge". All of the ideas will be published next Saturday when we move on to the next episode and they will be archived on the website in a new "Trivia" section.

Results: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyResults.html

New survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html

Episode Title Survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyEpisodeTitles.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »

I see that Rob has chimed in on the car - I had planned to toss that one over to him. I may live in Detroit, but I'm not a "car" girl ;-)

As far as the wardrobe, I think you are correct that they seem to use classic styles for both the men and women. I suspect that is a deliberate choice by BP, and if so I think it is a very wise choice. I see this show as one that will have "legs" in the future partly because it will never have a dated look. The people in charge are pretty smart - and thats why they have delivered such a good product that should have a long shelf life.

As far as Louisa's wardrobe, I just checked the wardrobe pages on my site to verify, but she has worn slacks part of the time all the way through S5 (I'm working on getting S6 posted). It seems like once she had JH she only wore dresses and skirts to work the few times we saw her at work in S5. My recollection for S6 is that she wore dresses to work most of the time, but for instance, she was wearing slacks (jeans I think?) the morning she confronted Dennis at the building site and she seemed to be on her way to school that morning.

Did I miss an iPad in S6? I'm such an iPad geek (it is rarely out of my hands 24/7) that I can't believe I missed it!
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Did I miss an iPad in S6? I'm such an iPad geek (it is rarely out of my hands 24/7) that I can't believe I missed it!

I didn't see the iPad either, but I did see both M & L using iPhones...
This discussion has been closed.