River City (Part 2)

Comments

• AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    I've lost interest in it now. It's not Rivery City anymore it's being made into something different and I no longer can be bothered sitting through an entire episode. It's lost touch with it's roots now and I hope it isn't too late to repair the damage thats being done.

I think I am going to stick with RC at the moment. I met the lovely Sally Howitt last May bank holiday Monday and she said there are a few comedy storylines with her in the shop coming up. A lovelier lady you could not meet and she talks so differently from her character Scarlett Mullen. I also said that I miss Scarlett and Gina's friendship and she said "Well, Gina isn't dead" - I miss Gina in the cafe too!

I know what you mean though Anndra. I am hoping that with DCI Donald being demoted then it will maybe go back to its roots. Wouldn't say no to a bit more Gabriel too!
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so confused.. why is River City on tonight? I was at a Kasabian gig on Tuesday so I assumed I'd missed it??:confused:
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    I'm so confused.. why is River City on tonight? I was at a Kasabian gig on Tuesday so I assumed I'd missed it??:confused:

There was an extended episode of Eastenders on Tuesday so River City was moved to accommodate it.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an extended episode of Eastenders on Tuesday so River City was moved to accommodate it.

There were a number of reasons and all soaps were moved around
    See http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1961398&highlight=changes
    and http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/scoop/a569433/eastenders-corrie-emmerdale-holby-city-schedule-changes-ahead.html#~oF44Rl45Nc9rl8
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    AngiBear wrote: »
    I think I am going to stick with RC at the moment. I met the lovely Sally Howitt last May bank holiday Monday and she said there are a few comedy storylines with her in the shop coming up. A lovelier lady you could not meet and she talks so differently from her character Scarlett Mullen. I also said that I miss Scarlett and Gina's friendship and she said "Well, Gina isn't dead" - I miss Gina in the cafe too!

I know what you mean though Anndra. I am hoping that with DCI Donald being demoted then it will maybe go back to its roots. Wouldn't say no to a bit more Gabriel too!

I really miss Gina, she was River City's soul and I loved the relationship she and Eileen had. They really seemed like sisters. I'll watch last nights episode because I heard it's about Eileen and Zinnie so I can cope with that but I'm hoping that as viewing figures must by now be dropping that a change of producer will see a return to the shows roots eventually. The cast must be picking up from the audience that they miss River City as it used to be. It's so strange that they decided to move the focus away from the characters and turn it into a cop/gangster drama. The audience never asked for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    anndra_w wrote: »
    I really miss Gina, she was River City's soul and I loved the relationship she and Eileen had. They really seemed like sisters. I'll watch last nights episode because I heard it's about Eileen and Zinnie so I can cope with that but I'm hoping that as viewing figures must by now be dropping that a change of producer will see a return to the shows roots eventually. The cast must be picking up from the audience that they miss River City as it used to be. It's so strange that they decided to move the focus away from the characters and turn it into a cop/gangster drama. The audience never asked for that.

As you've no doubt already figured out by now, it was last week's episode that was about Zinnie...

...but it appears that they are closing up the cop shop at least for the now... DCI Donald wasn't killed off, but severely demoted, and the way they left that, I half expect that when he comes back, it may very well NOT be a polis line a la poor man's Taggart, but something personal/existential/maybe even comedic, if we're lucky.
    The problems w/this land development are not the sort that call for police investigation, but more civil litigation/government goings on, so I am *nearly* ready to breathe a sigh of relief. The new residents are not criminals or otherwise involved in real underworld activities, and then there's wee "Charlie" from Gary Tank Commander! He was always my favourite in that programme!

I was disappointed with the method Eileen chose to handle the situation. Does anyone ever want to be jumping when Lenny says jump? I think NOT! I understand partly why she buckled, but I had dearly wished she'd have been more inventive/assertive/ready to square up. The Eileen character *is* a wee bit short on inventive skills, but she's always come off to me as one who has the meddle to stand up to blackmail at this level.

So having failed at that, I'm now hoping she realises she may be able to undermine the property scheme with the information she found, by taking it to Alex privately. I'm really, really hoping that happens. She/Raymond also need to sort out that business, one way or another. Folded like an accordion, she did. :/
    Forum Member

Belter!
    This could mean Gina will be back then! Maybe soon!

...or at least sometime, but we already knew that, even though it was getting awful difficult to mind while we were soldiering through the Kennedy crime swamp. Dear god let that be a thing in the past! I'm really hoping Billy's shanked in prison, sooner.

I like how it *was* Gabriel who was key to more or less wrapping the police department, as I enjoy his character as well, so it kinda was Gabe to rescue afterall.
    Forum Member
    Don't care what anybody else says: loved this week's episode, and I think River City is finally normalising. I was tense, annoyed, upset, I laughed, I giggled, and found the scene w/Robbie and Sandra, then Will coming home pure heartwarming. The new family also has an interesting social issue to explore, and the script seems to indicate the days of polis super-saturation have finally crystalised out of solution. I'm hoping.

Any other Scott Fletcher fans? I felt he is just the kind of rejuvenating shot in the arm River City has been needing.

And also really hope they keep Alex with a conscience and decent intentions, even if he does sometimes have slightly sketchy ethics.

Elsewhere I've seen it mentioned and agree that Kirsty does resemble Stella somewhat.
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    Don't care what anybody else says: loved this week's episode, and I think River City is finally normalising. I was tense, annoyed, upset, I laughed, I giggled, and found the scene w/Robbie and Sandra, then Will coming home pure heartwarming. The new family also has an interesting social issue to explore, and the script seems to indicate the days of polis super-saturation have finally crystalised out of solution. I'm hoping.

Any other Scott Fletcher fans? I felt he is just the kind of rejuvenating shot in the arm River City has been needing.

And also really hope they keep Alex with a conscience and decent intentions, even if he does sometimes have slightly sketchy ethics.

Elsewhere I've seen it mentioned and agree that Kirsty does resemble Stella somewhat.

Right, I'll give it another go and let you know what I think. I'm very willing to be impressed and see an improvement!
    Forum Member
    Ah crap. The River City website presently has an image of Billy Kennedy in a suit apparently sitting in a courtroom-looking situation. My fantasies of him gettin' shanked before the trial w/that wee pen of his shattered! :/
  • chasing_starschasing_stars Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    I'm so behind, just seen Paul Samsons been written out as Raymond and I totally didn't know they'd written Gina out! What was her exit storyline?

As for Raymond, I'm hoping they bring back Roisin and they go off into the sunset together.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember how Gina left, I wish they would refrain from turning the show into a police procedural
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so behind, just seen Paul Samsons been written out as Raymond and I totally didn't know they'd written Gina out! What was her exit storyline?

As for Raymond, I'm hoping they bring back Roisin and they go off into the sunset together.

I'll try to do my best with the Gina storyline. If I have left anything out then I am sure other RC fans can fill in the blanks.

Basically Gina fell for a con-man who knew Malcolm through his dementia. He said his 'mum' also had the illness, his mum wasn't his mum either. His name was Greg McManus (played by George Anton). He asked Gina to marry him and said that he also had a new house for them. Gina then stole Malcolm's life savings, urged by Greg and found out on the day she was supposed to be getting married to him, at the registry office while wearing her wedding dress that the money had gone, he had gone and the new house wasn't hers at all. She did report Greg to Will, I can't remember if he tried to help Gina out or couldn't as she had given Greg the access to Malcolm's bank details online. She sold The Oyster Cafe to Alex McAllister and he hired Stella as manager now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Reading between the lines, I don't think Raymond will leave this way! :(

I think it may have something to do with those pesky new flats!
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raymond's leaving?:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    Raymond's leaving?:o

Yeah, looks like he is being axed, not a great decision as he is an original cast member too:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s17/river-city/news/a582736/river-city-paul-samson-to-exit-raymond-henderson-role.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RC don't seem to look after their cast very well
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, looks like he is being axed, not a great decision as he is an original cast member too:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s17/river-city/news/a582736/river-city-paul-samson-to-exit-raymond-henderson-role.html
    dd68 wrote: »
    RC don't seem to look after their cast very well

Very underused character over the past few months.

In general River City is a very pale shadow of what it used to be not only with storylines but the departure of too many well known and liked characters.
  • chasing_starschasing_stars Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    I'll try to do my best with the Gina storyline. If I have left anything out then I am sure other RC fans can fill in the blanks.

Basically Gina fell for a con-man who knew Malcolm through his dementia. He said his 'mum' also had the illness, his mum wasn't his mum either. His name was Greg McManus (played by George Anton). He asked Gina to marry him and said that he also had a new house for them. Gina then stole Malcolm's life savings, urged by Greg and found out on the day she was supposed to be getting married to him, at the registry office while wearing her wedding dress that the money had gone, he had gone and the new house wasn't hers at all. She did report Greg to Will, I can't remember if he tried to help Gina out or couldn't as she had given Greg the access to Malcolm's bank details online. She sold The Oyster Cafe to Alex McAllister and he hired Stella as manager now.

I remember her getting conned but missed the following episode where Alex bought the cafe.

Shame, they've turned river city into taggart without DC Burke and Blythe Duff. Killing off old Raymond's a sad day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why they have changed the format so much
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the foster storyline episode
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember her getting conned but missed the following episode where Alex bought the cafe.

Shame, they've turned river city into taggart without DC Burke and Blythe Duff. Killing off old Raymond's a sad day.

they actually used a similar story line as in James Macphersons last Taggart ( chromium and housing developments)
  • JamieMacdonaldJamieMacdonald Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've watched an full episode for close to a year... I did see some of the episode when the new family appeared that's got Charlie from Gary Tank Commander in it.

My mum was saying the other day she thinks it seems a bit Taggarty like.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the foster storyline episode

Yes the storyline is interesting but what I find quite weird is that when the foster kid was introduced it was only for the weekend! Its been a long weekend.

Am bored with the housing development storyline and admit I am bit undecided whether to continue watching it does just seem to be going downhill.

As for Raymond going no surprise since he left the Tall Ship he has had very little to do!
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the storyline is interesting but what I find quite weird is that when the foster kid was introduced it was only for the weekend! Its been a long weekend.

Am bored with the housing development storyline and admit I am bit undecided whether to continue watching it does just seem to be going downhill.

As for Raymond going no surprise since he left the Tall Ship he has had very little to do!
    I I am also bored with the Housing Development story. I am not taken with the new characters, I find the Alex role uninteresting.. I love the Detectives and wish they would give them their own show.