Options

Cucumber Banana Tofu

Comments

• Options
    knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    An apartment block, in manchester, near canal street. Having lived there I think it is entirely possible. Although we haven't actually met every character that lives there and Helen is straight.

Having also lived there I think it is pretty far fetched. In the grand scheme of things the actual 'centre' of Manchester is pretty small, practically every apartment block could be described as close to canal street.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having also lived there I think it is pretty far fetched. In the grand scheme of things the actual 'centre' of Manchester is pretty small, practically every apartment block could be described as close to canal street.

...but a very small block, it didn't house many.

The huge blocks near the city centre of course would not all be gay.

Although i don't think it really matters, it is a plot device anyway.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember that monologue in ep3 I think. Freddie goes into a long speach directed at Henry telling him not lust after him. I think that unless you've great flare for speach rhythyms like Quintine Tarintino or have a writing style similar to poetry like Wim Wenders & Peter Handke in Wings Of Desire than screenwriters should avoid pages of dialogue. I just wanted to tell Freddie to shut up and get to the point because this monologue wasn't as strong. The final cut of Blade Runner has good dialogue in it as well.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Freddies schoolteacher really scarred him for life.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    6 years later? Well this is certainly jumping forward rapidly. Freddie looks different with the darker hair and tats. More butch.

Strange ending.
  • Options
    I-poo-rainbowsI-poo-rainbows Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Eh, i feel like it could have ended with Lance's death, nothing has happened since, but that is because i didn't like Henry.
  • Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6 years later? Well this is certainly jumping forward rapidly. Freddie looks different with the darker hair and tats. More butch.

Strange ending.

That's the part that bugged me - I was fairly certain that Lance died in 2015...

So the ending must be set far into the future then?

Personally, I thought the ending was touching in some places but it was also a weak ending for a show that had so much potential
  • Options
    Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was an abrupt ending! Didn't like Henry but felt a bit sorry for him.
  • Options
    nigel12nigel12 Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So disappointing.

Queer as Folk was such a positive statement this was awful, no likeable characters and everyone of them had issues!
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Pretty sure a show about the impact of mourning and the frustratations of the legal system on a non-mainstream lifestyle and community wouldve been more interesting.

But I guess to truely feel for the character of lance you needed the previous 5 weeks to get attached to him.

Still, if the only thing cucumber is remembered for is Lance's murder it will be enough, and it had its momens outside of that too.

A bit disappointed to see euros lynn's name on the credits as director after what he did during his time on doctor who that saw Chris Eccleston turn his back on the franchise for good.
    thought RTD would've cut ties with him too.
  • Options
    BertCleeverhookBertCleeverhook Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Is this episode of Banana set in the future like the end of Cucumber was?
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Is this episode of Banana set in the future like the end of Cucumber was?

No. They're clearing out the flat that was the main set for the series and have referenced lance's murder which was recent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointing final show, it peaked with lances death and then just petered out to a nothingness.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointing final show, it peaked with lances death and then just petered out to a nothingness.

So it ended just as it began then really!
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It basically flatlined for 7 episodes and had a heartbeat for episode 6 (ironically as that was the death episode).
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was.... something. A weird series overall, the writing and story were all over the place and the only truly great episode was the Lance centric one. It kind of just fizzled out there. Glad there isn't gona be a second series, cos I wouldn't bother watching it. The first overall was a disappointing mess for most of it. Shame. The potential was there.
  • Options
    waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of the Banana episodes were good, but Gay men can't really write Lesbian stories very well. Cucumber should have ended at episode 6/7. I think it could be re-edited into a decent four hour series though?

BTW did Lee Warburton who was Tony Horrocks and wrote Episode 7 of Banana kinda out himself in this interview http://theversion.co.uk/2015/03/05/the-version-interview-lee-warburton-and-dino-fetscher-talk-tonights-episode-of-banana/ No big announcement anywhere but I think it pretty much confirms him as a Gay Man
  • Options
    marsha_Cutiepiemarsha_Cutiepie Posts: 9,721
    Forum Member
    God that was woeful.

And the big reveal at the end that Christopher was Freddies brother who was an asshole, wtf was the point of that absolutely pointless, meaningless, who gives a shit storyline such p!ss poor writing. Freddie has to be one of the most unlikeable, horrible characters ever written for tv - ever. Its funny in the programme, the writers have tried so hard to make Freddie this desired by all, enigmatic character when at the end when he left henry's, it was like Freddie's gone right who cares.

The series should have ended with Lances murder, the Lance murder episode being the only diamond in what was an appauling series.

The only bit I liked his evening was when the Indian colleague of Lances, called over - and called Freddie and Aidan on tossing off in the back being completely inappropriate, and calling Henry - toad of toadhall, the only 5 minutes of believeable dialogue from a likeable character - this series could have been so much more, so disappointing.
  • Options
    nokes22nokes22 Posts: 1,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God that was woeful.

And the big reveal at the end that Christopher was Freddies brother who was an asshole, wtf was the point of that absolutely pointless, meaningless, who gives a shit storyline such p!ss poor writing. Freddie has to be one of the most unlikeable, horrible characters ever written for tv - ever. Its funny in the programme, the writers have tried so hard to make Freddie this desired by all, enigmatic character when at the end when he left henry's, it was like Freddie's gone right who cares.

The series should have ended with Lances murder, the Lance murder episode being the only diamond in what was an appauling series.

The only bit I liked his evening was when the Indian colleague of Lances, called over - and called Freddie and Aidan on tossing off in the back being completely inappropriate, and calling Henry - toad of toadhall, the only 5 minutes of believeable dialogue from a likeable character - this series could have been so much more, so disappointing.

Couldn't agree more with this. Lance's colleague was the shining light in this episode, proving how grotesque 99.9% of the characters were. Even Cleo joined suit and behaved like a dumb teenager at the end. Completely unrealistic and an insult to the LGBT community.
  • Options
    Casper GomezCasper Gomez Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm halfway through the episode and it's awful. all in all a rubbish series with only one decent episode.
  • Options
    gdrx78gdrx78 Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    nokes22 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more with this. Lance's colleague was the shining light in this episode, proving how grotesque 99.9% of the characters were. Even Cleo joined suit and behaved like a dumb teenager at the end. Completely unrealistic and an insult to the LGBT community.

Its shocking that as a Gay Man, the only characters I had any empathy for were Lance, Veronica, Cleo and Marie.

No doubt some will try to psychoanalyse this... but i genuinely found every single gay character to be a crass stereotype, that's more offensive to gay people than anything the 1970s produced. At least Cyril Nri was a good enough actor to add some light and shade to his role.

I continued to watch this in the hope that the much vaunted RTD would somehow redeem it all... but it seems his experiences of gay people and mine are very different.

Yes-there are guys like that-but they genuinely are only a small (but vocal) percentage.

I should have somehow guessed it would end up like this-RTDs writers tale book is quite revealing in his little 'crushes', and his experiences in his 'on scene days' have obviously left deep scars

Rather than showing any genuine character development (and with the events that occurred-any real person would change) instead we are faced with Henry in a new relationship that still isn't good enough for him, and Freddie with a regretted sleeve tattoo as a character. Yeah-people have character traits that are unchangeable, but they still develop as people. A pair of specs and a tattoo.... jeezus!

I have many wonderful gay friends-and we have a friendship that is not defined by 'cock'-I kinda hoped that RTD would reflect the concerns that adult gay men face when a relationship ends-and how 'divorce' is a totally different thing when it's in a LGBT relationship.

Instead we were presented by a gaggle of queeny stereoptypes who's main motivation was acting like a gang of teenagers and being obsessed with shagging a fit bloke! Lance's Murder was a genuinely shocking piece of TV-and wasn't really afforded any pay off at all. Henry sobbing a few times was nothing compared to the reaction of viewers of the murder.

It seems like RTD is now surrounded by yes men-it could have been a compelling series with slightly more sympathetic or human qualities in the characters, but no one picked him up on this. I'm picturing him slightly like Boy George in that recent documentary now! LOL

And I agree with others that the series should have ended at episode 6-and let viewers wonder on the aftermath-because what we were presented was actually an insult. As a one episode TV drama, it would have been outstanding. Everything you needed to know about those characters were presented in that episode.

'Oh-but that's what real life is like' people will no doubt claim about the aftermath. Actually no-it really isn't. Even Henry being told by text of the verdict felt horrendously artificial

And the shocking thing is that, as one of the 'leading lights' in Gay representation, RTD has created not one likeable gay character in this. Cyril Nri can be held responsible for Lance being lovely-on paper he is as bad as the rest. Yet we are presented by a group of 'motherly' and sympathetic lesbian characters. None of the gay guys gave a damn about the girl struggling with her responsibilities as a carer you notice... And as for the lawyer friend shagging Freddie...no one who did that to a friend would have friends to do that to repeatedly. Yeah Henry fancying him was a joke-but a friend would at least try to be supportive, not sneak in there

I'm ranting, because I am so disgusted that NONE of the genuine concerns middle aged gay guys would go through were covered in a remotely convincing manner.

If I wanted to see bitchy twinks being ogled by sad middle aged chicken hawks-I would go to my local gay bar and see the handful of guys at the end of the bar with the too young haircuts and clothes lusting into their drink.

Banana seems to have been much better received-I've only watched episode 6-but the representation of genuine LGBT issues seems to have been more accurate and relevant from what i've read.

I'm gay because I am attracted to men both physically and emotionally. Looks, body type etc have little relevance in who I am attracted to-and my friends and their friends are similar. We certainly don't obsess about 'cock' the whole time-or fantasize about guys we meet in the street.

Most gay guys are actually just very normal people with the same troubles and concerns as straight people. And while the laws have slowly changed, there are still issues of every day life that impact on the LGBT community.

The mundane aspects of life-and how they are slightly skewed for LGBT people would be more interesting than a drama about awful gay guys who rarely interact with the heteronormative world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched it properly just now. I could write what I would change, but I don't have time. Such abysmal writing. I really hope we have a good gay drama soon.

Freddie saying Christopher is his brother? Please remind me who Christopher is?!!!
  • Options
    Casper GomezCasper Gomez Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God that was woeful.

I don't remember seeing a Christopher in the series, who was he?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We're on the same page. :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We never did see Christopher.

It was a throw away comment last week between Dean and Freddie "Don't mention Christopher!" which was then solved this week by the mention of Christopher being his brother.... utterly pointless.
This discussion has been closed.