Options

Woman cleared of murder in retrial

Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
Forum Member
A woman who spent five years in jail for murdering her friend's boyfriend has been cleared after a retrial.

Stacey Hyde, from Wells, Somerset, was jailed for a minimum of nine years for stabbing Vincent Francis, 34, in 2010.

She had told her friend she "did it" for her because of the way Mr Francis treated her, the original trial heard.

The Court of Appeal ordered a retrial after hearing Ms Hyde had a history of abuse and was extremely vulnerable at the time of the killing.

It followed a campaign by her family and an appeal supported by the legal campaign charity Justice for Women.

A jury at Winchester Crown Court acquitted Miss Hyde, 22, reversing Bristol Crown Court's original decision.

The jury accepted she had killed Mr Francis in September 2009 in self-defence and in fear for her life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-32829878

She has been released.

Comments

• Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Good. It seemed like a case of self defence from the beginning and I don't really understand why a retrial was deemed necessary by the CPS at all after the original guilty verdict had been quashed.

Anyway a good verdict by the jury imo.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont understand how she was found guilty the first time or why there was a re trial. Does this Alison Saunders make these decisions on her own or is there a team aroun dher? She appears to make a lot of mistakes which are high profile, either she is not fit for the job or someone is making it look like she isnt.
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Good. It seemed like a case of self defence from the beginning and I don't really understand why a retrial was deemed necessary by the CPS at all after the original guilty verdict had been quashed.

Anyway a good verdict by the jury imo.

Not unusual to be a retrial.
    Verdict was quashed, case was not threw out.
  • Options
    Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    Yet another example of a case that may possibly have resulted in the death of an innocent person if we had the death penalty.

I'm glad her false conviction has been quashed. She cannot get back the part of her life that she spent in prison, but at least she still has her life.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Yet another example of a case that may possibly have resulted in the death of an innocent person if we had the death penalty.

I'm glad her false conviction has been quashed. She cannot get back the part of her life that she spent in prison, but at least she still has her life.

Yes, cases like this make me wonder why the hell certain so-called civilised Countries (or parts of them) still have the death penalty. Utterly bonkers.

Glad justice was served in this case, albeit belatedly.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

Hardly, seeing as how the same appeals process would have been available and would have been seen to have done its job, as here.
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If its taken 5yrs, she'd have been hung years ago, too late then.
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wrong, you assume the second trial got it right, however the first one may have been right. You liberals really make me sick, you actually believe that everything said in court is the truth, despite the fact that defence lawyers are only employed to lie, cheat, confuse, in order to get the guilty off the hook, but hey, as liberals you just ignore that bit.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sounds like the original verdict was legally correct and this may be another instance of how women are being treated more leniently by the courts. It is open to question how favourably it would have been received if the courts had tried to revisit a murder conviction because a man said he had mental health problems. The original verdict would have presumably been delivered because the blow would have been delivered in cold blood and not in self-defence.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sounds like the original verdict was legally correct and this may be another instance of how women are being treated more leniently by the courts. It is open to question how favourably it would have been received if the courts had tried to revisit a murder conviction because a man said he had mental health problems. The original verdict would have presumably been delivered because the blow would have been delivered in cold blood and not in self-defence.

The mental health issues were documented prior to the offence which adds credibility surely?

From the article -
    In 2009 she had been sent for urgent assessment for problematic use of alcohol, depression, self-harm and suicidal tendencies, the defence told the court.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    Wrong, you assume the second trial got it right, however the first one may have been right. You liberals really make me sick, you actually believe that everything said in court is the truth, despite the fact that defence lawyers are only employed to lie, cheat, confuse, in order to get the guilty off the hook, but hey, as liberals you just ignore that bit.

Ah yes, you think liberals are "pure evil".
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bingo! This is the post the op was waiting for.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mental health issues were documented prior to the offence which adds credibility surely?
    I take it you mean that for some reason, like ineptitude, arguments were not put forward for her re Mens Rea. I did not know Double Jeopardy was enabled to run re-trials to cover the incompetence of defence barristers. What seems to be implied is that the defence and the woman's testimony were so lacking that no evidence of mental disease was investigated by the original defence to present to the court.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Your posts are getting ever more ranty and bizarre. Are you alright?
  • Options
    rusty robotrusty robot Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    So was she acquitted because she acted out of self defence or because she had mental issues? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, you think liberals are "pure evil".

Correct, everything they stand for proves it beyond all doubt. I note (with no surprise) that you liberals in your congratulations to another killer, don't even mention her victim or his family.
  • Options
    tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Innocent of what, she took a person's life:confused:.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tim_smith wrote: »
    Innocent of what, she took a person's life:confused:.

Given the circumstances, the second jury certainly feels she was not guilty of the crime of murder, although I am confused too as to whether the acquittal centred on Miss Hyde's mental capacity during the stabbing or was a straightforward self-defence verdict.
    Correct, everything they stand for proves it beyond all doubt. I note (with no surprise) that you liberals in your congratulations to another killer, don't even mention her victim or his family.

If it was self-defence that led to the acquittal, then the "killer" was obviously justified, and the man killed was not a "victim"
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You liberals really make me sick.

:D

Bloody liberals!
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure I understand why this latest verdict is the correct one. I'm not familiar with the case so I'm probably missing something, but from what I gather she did stab and kill him, and she did admit it. Mental health issues may well be a mitigating factor but they don't make her innocent. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Given the circumstances, the second jury certainly feels she was not guilty of the crime of murder, although I am confused too as to whether the acquittal centred on Miss Hyde's mental capacity during the stabbing or was a straightforward self-defence verdict.

If it was self-defence that led to the acquittal, then the "killer" was obviously justified, and the man killed was not a "victim"

If, but, maybes.... Why is it so hard for you to understand that some murderers get away with it and she could be another one! As a liberal your faith in the deluded system says everything about you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've deduced from my one liner to you that I'm a "pure evil" liberal?
    As idlewilde asked earlier "Are you alright?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    :D

Bloody liberals!
    Don't start him on UKIP!
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure I understand why this latest verdict is the correct one. I'm not familiar with the case so I'm probably missing something, but from what I gather she did stab and kill him, and she did admit it. Mental health issues may well be a mitigating factor but they don't make her innocent. :confused:

Well, you could try reading the story.

1. 34 year old man, with a history of domestic violence, attacks his teenage girlfriend
    2. 17 year old friend of girlfriend attempts to defend her friend
    3. Man then attacks the 17 year old friend
    4. While he's attacking the 17 year old girl, the girlfriend phones the police
    5. While the phone call is taking place, the 17 year old girl, who is still being attacked by the 34 year old man, grabs a knife & stabs him in self defence
    6. This can all be heard on the other end of the phone line & the call is being recorded.

The mystery is why she was ever convicted in the first place.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Well, you could try reading the story.

1. 34 year old man, with a history of domestic violence, attacks his teenage girlfriend
    2. 17 year old friend of girlfriend attempts to defend her friend
    3. Man then attacks the 17 year old friend
    4. While he's attacking the 17 year old girl, the girlfriend phones the police
    5. While the phone call is taking place, the 17 year old girl, who is still being attacked by the 34 year old man, grabs a knife & stabs him in self defence
    6. This can all be heard on the other end of the phone line & the call is being recorded.

The mystery is why she was ever convicted in the first place.

Very much.

It's one of the clearer and more obvious cases of self defence that I've heard.

I'm amazed if what has been reported is true, that there was ever a conviction in the first place.

Mind you I'm an evil liberal*, who thinks people should get a fair trail, that things often are not black and white, and understands that at times if you're defending yourself or another from violence injury or death can occur.
    The grabbing a knife from the kitchen to use in self defence is not unusual if you're attacked in the kitchen (be it by a violent spouse, or intruder), and unless she stabbed him a bunch of times, planned it in advance or kept stabbing him once he was down, it's far far more likely to be spur of the moment in self defence than murder given the other circumstances.

*Who is actually quite conservative on many things (I guess middle of the road overall).