Options

Vatican: Irish gay marriage vote is a 'defeat for humanity'

AdsAds Posts: 37,062
Forum Member
The Catholic Church has just proven it really doesn't get modern life, where people have minds of their own.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/26/vatican-ireland-gay-marriage-referendum-vote-defeat-for-humanity

Great to see the Irish throwing off it's Catholic shackles.

Comments

• Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    The Catholic Church has just proven it really doesn't get modern life, where people have minds of their own.

Great to see the Irish throwing off it's Catholic shackles.

The churches only concern is its cost to them, and revenue it makes
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Catholic Church is no arbiter of morality in Ireland anymore - the people have decided that we're in charge of humanity in Ireland now..
  • Options
    TheGreatKatsbyTheGreatKatsby Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    A defeat for humanity?? Bit of an overreaction.

I'd call the Church's covering up and facilitating child abuse a defeat for humanity really.

As Ads has said, it's great that Ireland has thrown off the shackles, and the Church must be very worried they're losing their grip on the people there.
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    I say well done Ireland for making your own decisions and not being told what to think by the pope.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vatican: Irish gay marriage vote is a 'defeat for humanity'

Says the organisation which offered an escape route to nazi war criminals after world war 2.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Says the organisation which offered an escape route to nazi war criminals after world war 2.

And turned a blind eye to priests buggering choirboys.
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »

Really? I didn't know about this, I mean we all know the priests have a history with children but helping nazis does surprise me.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame they weren't more outspoken from the off about perverts abusing kids rather than getting so morally superior about consenting adults who love each other wanting to have the option to commit to their relationship in more formal terms. Oh the humanity.

ETA: See I'm, um, singing from the same hymn sheet as a few others here.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I think Catholicism has had its day, at least in civilised countries. Thanks for the architecture, the music and the art but really, now's the time just to **** off and die.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Catholicism has had its day, at least in civilised countries. Thanks for the architecture, the music and the art but really, now's the time just to **** off and die.

The blunt approach works so well in this instance. :D
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

Good point, well made :)
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Why can't the Vatican speak in words we can understand?

In what way is it a 'defeat for humanity' and what does that even mean?

What it is is a defeat of their stranglehold. And that's a positive!
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Catholic Church has always opposed progress in Ireland, and they're still busy holding up progress in any country where they still hold sway. Thankfully that no longer includes Ireland.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    The Catholic Church has always opposed progress in Ireland, and they're still busy holding up progress in any country where they still hold sway. Thankfully that no longer includes Ireland.

That's orthodoxy for you though, it rarely changes.

It'll take a miracle or the return of Jesus for any real changes.
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's merely a defeat for the Catholic Church. A defeat against humanity? That would be the mass rape of children and the protecting of their abusers by the same organization, not to mention the stolen babies and imprisoned "fallen" women.
  • Options
    St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Vatican is hugely rich too, could do a lot more to help the poor.

I was raised Catholic, pretty much rejected it by my teenage years. I preferred the Protestant more humane approach to Christianity, now feel more bhuddist than anything (I do feel Jesus was probably a student of bhuddism, etc).

Anyhow only folk I know claiming to be catholic nowadays are parents trying to get their kids into "good schools".
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    I thought this Pope was meant to be a bit more modern and forward thinking. If he was then he wouldn't want this sort of thing in the news, unless he is really just as backwards as the rest of them.

I am confused as to why the church thinks the way to fix all their problems is to enforce their backwards, unwelcome message even more! Surely they should react to the social shift in Ireland and adapt, not try and force their discriminatory views even more?
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Yeah? What's raping altar boys then?
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A defeat for the Vatican more like which can only be a good thing - the Catholic church is probably the second most evil institution in the world after Islam.

Thankfully more and more people are waking up to what organised religion is really all about - money, profit and power.

Yahweh my arse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Yeah? What's raping altar boys then?

Exactly, bloody hypocrites.

Covered up for years as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    And turned a blind eye to priests buggering choirboys.

Not even that. The last pope tried to bury it when he was in charge of the investigation.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    the catholic church is in no position to start imposing their brand of morals on anything.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the article, it was a senior Vatican official, seen as second only to the Pope, who claimed that the Ireland gay marriage vote is a "defeat for humanity".

At the end of the article, it says that the pope also used the phrase "defeat for humanity", but he was talking about war, not the legalisation of gay marriage.

Is this gay marriage issue somehow comparable to war in the eyes of the Vatican?
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But no statement on why they don't think everyone is entitled to equality
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member

Well said :D