Options

They did it with Sam.....could they do it with Peggy?

83ray183ray1 Posts: 2,963
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Some of you might not be aware, but Barbera Windsor did not always play Peggy. For a short time in 1990 / 1991 she was played by a different actress. It was only on her 96 return they cast Babs.

With Sam, she got recast, then they went back to the original actress (Daniella)

Could the original actress who played Peggy resume her role?

They could just have Babs walk into the salon, and when she returned (as the original actress) Pat and Phil could say "Gosh Peggy you look completly different now" then resume normal stories...

Comments

• Options
    ekim316ekim316 Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it wouldn't happen
  • Options
    Andrewww342003Andrewww342003 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    I dont think anyone would remember the original actress, the timegap between the two is longer compared to sam.
  • Options
    Ash's ManAsh's Man Posts: 7,165
    Forum Member
    It would never happen. Barbara Windsor is not a stand in for the real Peggy Mitchell, she is Peggy and she's a national treasure. No way would they do that.
  • Options
    actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Would never happen. and Babs has been there since 94 not 96:D
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    The original Peggy - Jo Warne - at least looked like she could have given birth to Phil and Grant!
    She just fit the profile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJoG3M9egHY

Bringing in Windsor was a publicity stunt.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I much prefered the original Peggy, she was a battleaxe and perfect in the role, I have never like Windsor in the part, and will be glad to see the back of her, it would be great to see the first Peggy back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    The original Peggy - Jo Warne - at least looked like she could have given birth to Phil and Grant!

They're all so polite at the dinner table :eek:
  • Options
    benny1982benny1982 Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    The original Peggy looked nothing like the second Peggy but this is EE we are talking about. They could get her back though, that is an idea.

When Emmerdale's Clive Hornby died in 2008 they could have bought the first actor to play Jack Sugden back instead of killing Jack off. Andrew Burt played the original jack from 1972 to 1974 then made his final appearance as Jack in 1976 then lookalike Clive took over in 1980. They could do that with Peggy in EE. They did it with Sam.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I much prefered the original Peggy, she was a battleaxe and perfect in the role, I have never like Windsor in the part, and will be glad to see the back of her, it would be great to see the first Peggy back.

How old would she be now? I can't find much information on her on the net.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd forgotten it had been a different atress, but I was only about 3-4 then. What does she look like now anyway?
  • Options
    NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    The last time i seen her was in Bodger and Badger in the late 90's :D
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    jay2009 wrote: »
    I'd forgotten it had been a different atress, but I was only about 3-4 then. What does she look like now anyway?

I think most people will have forgotten Jo Warne's interpretation of the role, which is understandable given that JW did about 10 episodes compared to the 100s Babs must have appeared in.

The two actresses are so different physically as well. At least with Danniella Westbrook and Kim Medcalf there was some degree of physical similarity (barring a septum here or there), and the Sam recast was out of neccesity - the PTB wanted to revisit the character, but DW was obviously not in a fit state to take the role on again.
  • Options
    ListedBuzzListedBuzz Posts: 9,042
    Forum Member
    Simple answer, no.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Theres no way they could do this with Peggy and I don't think anyone would want them to :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original Peggy was hardly ever in it. I've watched it from the start. It was Barbara Windsor who made the character her own. I remember her being a bit dodgy acting wise to begin with.

It wouldn't be a good idea to get Peggy back in another form. They should retire the character and invent a fun new one!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    ListedBuzz wrote: »
    Simple answer, no.

And you are always right, so i believe you :p
  • Options
    scizophonicscizophonic Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »

maybe but it worked. I don't think anyone expected her to stay as long as she has so fair play to her. And I think her acting has improved dramatically over the years she was brilliant as part of peggys cancer storyline and when peggy discovered Pat and Franks shagathons lol.

They would never go back to the original actress now. She only appeared in about 5 episodes and that was YEARS ago. I know everyone knew Danniella as Sam but sam was intermittent in the show and not always around so it was easy to recast her and kim at least bears some resemblance to danniella.

They wouldnt go back to jo warne for peggy not after all this time. how bizarre would that be! All the big peggy stuff also happened under windsor. JW as Peggy did absolutely nothing of note except berate Sam over Ricky a few times.
  • Options
    scizophonicscizophonic Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    I think most people will have forgotten Jo Warne's interpretation of the role, which is understandable given that JW did about 10 episodes compared to the 100s Babs must have appeared in.

The two actresses are so different physically as well. At least with Danniella Westbrook and Kim Medcalf there was some degree of physical similarity (barring a septum here or there), and the Sam recast was out of neccesity - the PTB wanted to revisit the character, but DW was obviously not in a fit state to take the role on again.
    true but I think they got away with it because the character had been off screen for a few years and was effectively only a guest character at that point anyway
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    tegan1973 wrote: »
    The original Peggy was hardly ever in it. I've watched it from the start. It was Barbara Windsor who made the character her own. I remember her being a bit dodgy acting wise to begin with.

I see what you mean about Barbara's acting being a bit dodge to start with, here's a clip of her first episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT33eNodjk8&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Imagine how different things would have been if Jo Warne had carried on playing Peggy. I wonder if she would have stuck it out for 15 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JW as Peggy did absolutely nothing of note except berate Sam over Ricky a few times.

Which she could still do just now!!

Only, once she found out about the affair, maybe she would berate Ricky over Sam.

Also, drunk JW and "patricia" could prove to be an excellent double act.

She could also stick up to Phil and put him in his place!
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly (or not) - Phil's flat in the 1st couple of scenes is now occupied by Heather and Shirley. Though the staircase appears to have moved to the opposite side of the building.
  • Options
    nats18nats18 Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    I don't think it would work DW was the famous Sam and Kim Medcalf was a replacement. Barbara Windsor is Peggy as much as I dislike her she's way too famous as Peggy to be replaced