Best way to revise?

HMOHMO Posts: 42,213
Forum Member
Exams don't actually kick in until the middle of May but the one I seem to have to prioritise is Science because I have 4 exams to retake (out of the 5 we've done already) and one to do so there's a lot there. The rest, I think there's less pressure. The Year 10 retakes are near the end of May and the others are in June. A P.E exam and an R.E exam in May also.

I have my revision book - how can I get everything memorized quickly so i can then focus on other subjects?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but there is no easy answer, everyone is different as to the best study method for them.

Some prefer to make copious notes, some prefer to read and re-read the study material.
  • SsddSsdd Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) log out of the forum.

Gcse bitesize?
  • TerryallgoldTerryallgold Posts: 1,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How have you got time to come on here you should be studying?
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    A elaborate revision time table with boxes where you can tick off your daily targets.

Preferably using every coloured felt tip at you disposal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    making or buying crib notes of the in depth material is a good idea. I always found that scanning through a summarised list of the important stuff just before bed also helped a lot. I don't know why, I don't know if this is right or not but I have a theory that part of the purpose of sleep is to assimilate the information the brain has taken in during the day. So maybe that's why. It would also explain why babies need a lot of sleep as their brains are taking in so much information.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been a long time since I had to do any revision, but the last lot involved picture diagrams and spider diagrams (I told you it's been a loooooong time!). It worked for me very well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    The problem is that people take in information differently, and what worked for me won't work for you. One of my kids learns stuff by explaining it back to you like she's telling you - annoying for me, but it works for her

Putting in the time is important, and regular but short breaks.
  • YijanYijan Posts: 66
    Forum Member
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever works for you, everyone is different.

I personally write out facts, and make flash cards and get people to test me on them.

Some people find this pointless and only revise by reading facts, etc.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had a session on this for our students. I thought it was mostly bollocks until I actually did it - can reel off all sorts of rubbish now

http://www.buildyourmemory.com/roman.php

It's largely useless for my subject but for fact remembering it's handy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are lots of tips and tricks, but this IMO is the most important one:

Spend at least as much time testing your knowledge as learning it.

By which I mean, a lot of people look at notes and get that nice feeling of familiarity, which makes them think they know the material. It's not until they start the exam and are tested on what they know that they realize which parts they don't actually know. You need to test yourself using flashcards or something similar. A good way is to imagine that you have to give a presentation on the topic and you can't use any notes. There might be 12 subtopics in the topic you're learning about, and each subtopic has 5 associated facts to remember. So you would start by prompting yourself with the subtopic and recalling the 5 facts from memory. Once you've got that, aim to memorize the names of the 12 subtopics without a prompt. In such a way you would be able to recall 60 pieces of information about a single topic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    One of my kids learns stuff by explaining it back to you like she's telling you - annoying for me, but it works for her.

This is how I passed several exams - my mother listened patiently, bless her. This is how you find out if you understand what you're trying to learn.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the others that it depends on what works best for you.

I revised by using visual memory tricks. Such as breaking a sub-topic into chunks, which I memorised at my own pace, and associated each chunk with a film, novel or song. For example: Sedimentary rock = Pet Sematary. Remembering this title triggered a recollection of the info chunk associated with sedimentary rock.

Weird, but it worked for me.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Does vary.

With Maths, just practised exercises for days -- exam papers were handy. English, did a lot of reading. I'm very good at remembering dates, figures and vocab, which helped with History and Spanish.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash cards, spider diagrams and large posters with drawings and bullet point information always helped me.

I could never just sit there with a revision book and read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although this article is mainly for parents, there's some excellent tips on revision and passing exams.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/391823/On-your-marks-for-exam-season
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Writing index cards for each topic usually works for me.

I like words and colours, no symbols or diagrams.

I agree wholeheartedly with all the people who suggested that you pretend to teach it, or lecture the topics to someone else.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever technique you choose, "little and often" is much better than last minute cramming. Three lots of 25 minutes per day would be better than "all day Saturday and all day Sunday". Start the revision early.

Also plan your revision so you make best use of the time available. Keep the plan dynamic - if you are struggling with something, then adjust the plan to suit rather than stick rigidly to it. Make sure you include breaks to get away from it - go see a film, a football match or whatever you fancy.

Try and find what you do and do not need to remember. For maths, you quite often get a formulas book so no need to remember specific formulas - you just need to know how to use them properly.

Good luck!
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Teach it. This is a really good revision method.

Plan a lesson on the topic you're revising, ie pretend you need to get the correct and concise info across to someone else. Then stand up in your room, performing the leson to your posters / teddies or whatever.
  • LuckyM2012LuckyM2012 Posts: 6,136
    Forum Member
    Ive used every method going spider diagrams are great but understand what you learnt first