Options

5,000 small businesses support Conservatives

MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Thousands of small company bosses sign a letter praising the Tories' economic plans and warning that Labour would 'undo' progress of recovery

The Conservatives have received a major endorsement from British businesses after the leaders of 5,000 small companies signed a letter backing David Cameron and warned that Labour would pose a risk to the economic recovery. The firms, which employ nearly 100,000 people across the country, have signed a letter which states that they “would like to see David Cameron and George Osborne given the chance to finish what they have started”.

In a major intervention 10 days before the general election, the businesses praise Conservative economic plans and say that the Tories are “genuinely committed to making sure Britain is open for business”. The firms, from every region of the UK, say the Conservatives’ commitment to low taxes has helped “to get the economy moving again”, creating 1,000 jobs a day since 2010.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11564460/Boost-for-David-Cameron-as-5000-small-firms-back-Conservatives.html

With the support of larger and smaller businesses, it is clear that the creators of jobs and prosperity wish to continue the work of the Coservatives.

I think the most important issue has to be the economy, as without a strong economy nothing can be paid for.

Comments

• Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Labour could whip up their own list of 5,000 too if they wanted. Things like this are meaningless.

People will vote on the issues that effect them nothing else.
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »

Thousands of small company bosses sign a letter praising the Tories' economic plans and warning that Labour would 'undo' progress of recovery

The Conservatives have received a major endorsement from British businesses after the leaders of 5,000 small companies signed a letter backing David Cameron and warned that Labour would pose a risk to the economic recovery. The firms, which employ nearly 100,000 people across the country, have signed a letter which states that they “would like to see David Cameron and George Osborne given the chance to finish what they have started”.

In a major intervention 10 days before the general election, the businesses praise Conservative economic plans and say that the Tories are “genuinely committed to making sure Britain is open for business”. The firms, from every region of the UK, say the Conservatives’ commitment to low taxes has helped “to get the economy moving again”, creating 1,000 jobs a day since 2010.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11564460/Boost-for-David-Cameron-as-5000-small-firms-back-Conservatives.html

With the support of larger and smaller businesses, it is clear that the creators of jobs and prosperity wish to continue the work of the Coservatives.

I think the most important issue has to be the economy, as without a strong economy nothing can be paid for.

Not so major as it happens. Newsworthy but not major.

"Via the party website, the Conservatives have been encouraging firms to sign a letter - printed in Monday's Daily Telegraph - supporting the party's business policies. The 5,000 small and medium-sized firms who signed up employ a total of about 100,000 people. There are, at least, 5.2 million such businesses in the UK".

Unbelievably desperate measure.
  • Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is another joke letter written by the Tories for the Telegragh to print I'm beginning to wonder if people actually believe this stuff and are that gulable after the first letter . I saw it on the news this morning and the best laugh was that one on the business owners was being interviewed from parliament :)
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was nice of them to create a blacklist of businesses to avoid.
  • Options
    richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I'm one small business owner that certainly didn't sign the letter!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Unbelievably desperate measure.

No, Labour's 100 "working people" letter was desperate :D
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5.2 million small businesses in the UK.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Goodness me there's MILLIONS of small businesses in the uk so this is hardly a shocking feat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Labour could whip up their own list of 5,000 too if they wanted..

I'm not sure about that!

Mr Balls was challenged on Newsnight on BBC Two to name business leaders who are supportive of Labour's policies. He responded by naming Bill, a former chief executive of EDS who he was "just talking to a few moments ago" at a dinner. Asked about Bill's surname, Mr Balls said: "To be honest, the surname has just gone from my head, which is a bit annoying at this time of night".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11388908/Ed-Balls-gaffe-as-he-forgets-name-of-Labour-supporting-business-leader.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    5.2 million small businesses in the UK.

62 per cent (3.3 million) are sole proprietorships.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are meaningless alright to a degree Nick Ferrari on his LBC breakfast show had one of these small businessmen he asked him during the course of the interview how he received the letter by email he replied.

In other words it probably was written by conservative central office and emailed out for a signature.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder how many of the businesses founded through the intervention of IDS signed?
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure about that!

Mr Balls was challenged on Newsnight on BBC Two to name business leaders who are supportive of Labour's policies. He responded by naming Bill, a former chief executive of EDS who he was "just talking to a few moments ago" at a dinner. Asked about Bill's surname, Mr Balls said: "To be honest, the surname has just gone from my head, which is a bit annoying at this time of night".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11388908/Ed-Balls-gaffe-as-he-forgets-name-of-Labour-supporting-business-leader.html
    That was in relation to big business -a quite different list.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Does any sane voter take notice of these "letters" written in support of any party in an election campaign?

I think not.
  • Options
    RS11RS11 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    In other words it probably was written by conservative central office and emailed out for a signature.

Correct: https://www.conservatives.com/businessletter

I am a small business owner and I would not have signed this, even if I was a Conservative supporter. My business is in a town centre and cuts from central government have pretty much forced the local council to ramp up parking charges and cut bus routes both of which are having a massively negative effect on the town.

I would rather be paying more tax but have more custom than have our custom decimated and given tax cuts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are meaningless alright to a degree Nick Ferrari on his LBC breakfast show had one of these small businessmen he asked him during the course of the interview how he received the letter by email he replied.

It was the Tories are a joke with these letters when will they see it 😀
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Only 5000. Wonder who the rest are backing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does any sane voter take notice of these "letters" written in support of any party in an election campaign?

I think not.

I think perhaps on or two posters on this site do :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RS11 wrote: »
    Correct: https://www.conservatives.com/businessletter

I am a small business owner and I would not have signed this, even if I was a Conservative supporter. My business is in a town centre and cuts from central government have pretty much forced the local council to ramp up parking charges and cut bus routes both of which are having a massively negative effect on the town.

I would rather be paying more tax but have more custom than have our custom decimated and given tax cuts.

I thought as much sent out by Karren Brady small business ambassador as far as i know she has never started a small business herself only working for larger ones.

Yes you are right there have been large local cuts in funding so councils ramp up parking charges and decimate local bus services which they often have responsibility for,after the wonderful bus-deregulation of 1986.

Something Labour should have put right but did not. :(
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    This was discussed earlier on LBC radio.

No one signed anything - people were sent an email from the Tories and they said they were happy to support the wording. Given the Tories had their email they are probably Tory members and supporters already.

One of the signatories was on the radio and was really rude when another caller challenged him on this - telling him to stop whinging and get off his b*m and do some work. Turned out the other caller actually worked a 60 hour week.

If that is an example of the sort of small business people voting Tory - I would certainly not be happy to support them. Rude selfish and unpleasant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    This was discussed earlier on LBC radio.

No one signed anything - people were sent an email from the Tories and they said they were happy to support the wording.

One of the signatories was on the radio and was really rude when another caller challenged him on this - telling him to stop whinging and get off his b*m and do some work. Turned out the other caller actually worked a 60 hour week.

If that is an example of the sort of small business people voting Tory - I would certainly not be happy to support them. Rude selfish and unpleasant.

As an add on the small businessman on LBC earlier was a accountant.

And yes he shouted so much over the other caller Nick Ferrari had to take charge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think not.

Well you were getter rather animated in a recent thread where "hundreds" of firefighters sent a letter attacking the Conservatives, and I didn't see you criticising either the firefighters or those supporting them.

Double standards and hypocrisy?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For the love of god will people gain some critical thinking skills and stop believing this propagana that business are the creators of weath and jobs!

A business cannot exist without people who want and/or can buy their products. You can have the best product in the world and if no one wants to or can buy it there is no business, there is no wealth, there are no jobs!

Consumers are wealth and job creators with whatever spending power they have, or at best it is a symbiotic relationship!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well you were getter rather animated in a recent thread where "hundreds" of firefighters sent a letter attacking the Conservatives, and I didn't see you criticising either the firefighters or those supporting them.

Double standards and hypocrisy?

I was supporting the firefighters in their fight against station closures and the downgrade of their pensions - that's what "animates" me, not the means by which they bring this to the attention of the public.

The firefighters have been pointing out the the policies of a government which endanger human life in this area for years.

You probably haven't even noticed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For the love of god will people gain some critical thinking skills and stop believing this propagana that business are the creators of weath and jobs!

A business cannot exist without people who want and/or can buy their products. You can have the best product in the world and if no one wants to or can buy it there is no business, there is no wealth, there are no jobs!

Consumers are wealth and job creators
    with whatever spending power they have, or at best it is a symbiotic relationship!

Workers are the creators of wealth.