Options

SCART to VGA cable

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    No it won't, VGA and TV are completely non-compatible.

You would need a converter box to make it work, which aren't very good quality anyway - just buy a proper TV.

oops sorry didn't read the question properly and I got it round the wrong way.

You can connect a PC VGA to a TV SCART but not the other way round.

Terry
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    park_gate wrote: »

Terry

Can you :confused:

How many PC's can output a 50Hz sync signal ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Plus the fact that VGA has a horizontal line rate of 31.5KHz, and a SCART socket expects 15.625/15.75KHz. Not compatible in any way shape or form, not without some sort of convertor.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member

Not that way either :D (as others have pointed out).
  • Options
    River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I got a s video to VGA converter box for £15 on ebay and audio leads from pound land the picture & sound quality from DVD player to old monitor is perfectly adequate for my needs.

So don't have to buy new TV. Or pay someone to remount it on a bracket! Yay!
    Thanks for advice. Someone has a scart to VGA lead, might try to see if it works.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    River_Tam wrote: »
    Well I got a s video to VGA converter box for £15 on ebay and audio leads from pound land the picture & sound quality from DVD player to old monitor is perfectly adequate for my needs.

So don't have to buy new TV. Or pay someone to remount it on a bracket! Yay!
    Thanks for advice. Someone has a scart to VGA lead, might try to see if it works.

A 'lead' won't work - as we've all said in this thread.

As you've bought a 'converter' presumably that's solved your problem? - while S-Video is considerably poorer quality than RGB, it's perfectly fine for watching DVD's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can you :confused:

How many PC's can output a 50Hz sync signal ?

Don't know but as Microsoft "hides" what your graphics card can do and generally cripples your PC its difficult to say.

You could try asking these people as they might be able to help you with your question:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/system_tools/display_managers/powerstrip.cfm

Terry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not that way either :D (as others have pointed out).

I built an HTPC some years ago and connected it to my old CRT TV using a SCART lead.

I used a program called Powerstrip to give me access to all of the graphic card's modes and it worked just fine.

So yes you can do it and I have done it.

Terry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I built an HTPC some years ago and connected it to my old CRT TV using a SCART lead.

I used a program called Powerstrip to give me access to all of the graphic card's modes and it worked just fine.

So yes you can do it and I have done it.

On one specific (and rare) graphics card, and only by accessing non-standard features :p
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh, i remember back in the mid 90s trying to link my pc (vga) to tv (scart) but never did find anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    On one specific (and rare) graphics card, and only by accessing non-standard features :p

Indeed, pissing about to the extent that what comes out ISN'T VGA anymore, so it's not a "SCART to VGA" cable, it's a "SCART to a 'compatible signal'" cable!!

VGA is 640x480 pixels at 31.5KHz horizontal line rate and 60Hz refresh - what Powerstrip changes it to is NOT VGA but RGB at video timings and resolution!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Powerstrip claim...

PowerStrip provides advanced, multi-monitor, programmable hardware support to a wide range of graphics cards, from the venerable Matrox Millennium I to the latest models of AMD and NVidia.

So if these are rare cards what are the common cards it won't work with.

Terry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Indeed, pissing about to the extent that what comes out ISN'T VGA anymore, so it's not a "SCART to VGA" cable, it's a "SCART to a 'compatible signal'" cable!!

I don’t consider installing software on a PC to get it to do what I want it to do as pissing about. And I fail to see how your comment would be of any assistance to other people.

Nowadays I would say take the DVI output of your PC and plug it into the HDMI input. But back in the day when HDMI and DVI were either not available or not so common I would say using something like Powerstrip was the way to go.
    VGA is 640x480 pixels at 31.5KHz horizontal line rate and 60Hz refresh - what Powerstrip changes it to is NOT VGA but RGB at video timings and resolution!

That resolution was quickly replaced by high resolutions but the connector at the back of the PC has always been called the VGA connector and that is what we are talking about here. Incidentally the VGA output is RGB.

Again I fail to see how your comment is helping; it seems to only add confusion.

Terry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That resolution was quickly replaced by high resolutions but the connector at the back of the PC has always been called the VGA connector and that is what we are talking about here. Incidentally the VGA output is RGB.

We know VGA is RGB (actually RGB + separate syncs), but standard VGA resolution is the closest to TV standard there is - the higher resolutions are even further away.

In any case, in the event you can reprogram your graphics card to output TV standard signals it won't even achieve standard VGA resolutions, never mind higher ones.

It's also not at all relevant to trying to feed a DVD player to a VGA monitor as in this thread,