Options

Work calling when off sick.

2»

Comments

• Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, it's harassment. Plain & simple. I'm an USDAW union rep & I can tell you now I'd have great fun with that individual who phoned you. All you need to do is to phone them when the period of absence begins & again when you're ready to return to work.

Any other issues can be dealt with upon your return to work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    moonbaby wrote: »
    Oh my god! Thats disgraceful!:mad: How can people be so ****ing insensitive? (excuse my language).

It still really upsets me to this day.....looking back I was an absolute mug to return to work a day or two after his death.What gets me is that on the very rare occasion I`v had to take more than a day or two off work through illness, no one has ever complained.....I have to add that it was only four or five people who really moaned and only one who complained to the health authority.....but at the time I was really upset about it......although recently a Dentist at another practice has had to retire at short notice through ill-health....and I know for a fact that the health authority has received complaints....what are they meant to do....drag her from her hospital bed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but if you were my boss & you thought that about me complaining about inappropriate contact at such a time in my life, I'd think you didn't really care about my bereavement either.

Management have to understand that when someone's signed off work, they're signed off for a reason, & bereavement is one of the strongest reasons to leave someone alone & not worry them about work issues when they've already got so much on their plate. It's one thing for contact to be made when you've said it's OK to do so, or to ring simply to ask how you're doing, but it's quite another for someone to contact you about a work issue they or their management should have been able to resolve. I wouldn't ring up screeching about this phone call, but I would e-mail to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I'm not saying the phone call was right, i just think it needs to be viewed in proportion. One phone call to the OP, that was it. When I went through a simalar time in my life, the last thing on my mind was wether to complain when someone from work called me about a work thing. I would understand if it were constant, but one phone call! Just get on with the more important things in your life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stevo44 wrote: »
    I'm not saying the phone call was right, i just think it needs to be viewed in proportion. One phone call to the OP, that was it. When I went through a simalar time in my life, the last thing on my mind was wether to complain when someone from work called me about a work thing. I would understand if it were constant, but one phone call! Just get on with the more important things in your life.
    None of us know whether it will be just one phone call though - it wasn't in my case. That's why the OP needs to call a halt to it at this stage, so that she doesn't get any more. There's also the issue of how the number was obtained. That needs to be addressed quickly, so that staff (not just this particular staff member or the manager) do not continue to obtain & make use of data they have no right to.
  • Options
    moonbabymoonbaby Posts: 2,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It still really upsets me to this day.....looking back I was an absolute mug to return to work a day or two after his death.What gets me is that on the very rare occasion I`v had to take more than a day or two off work through illness, no one has ever complained.....I have to add that it was only four or five people who really moaned and only one who complained to the health authority.....but at the time I was really upset about it......although recently a Dentist at another practice has had to retire at short notice through ill-health....and I know for a fact that the health authority has received complaints....what are they meant to do....drag her from her hospital bed.

The thing is people these days are incrediably selfish, and a lot of these people who complain to the health authority are doing so because they don't want to have to pay for a private dentist.