Laptop typing

therightdealtherightdeal Posts: 2,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am a fairly fast typer. I must say I am having some difficulty typing on this laptop, which I purchased today.

When I press some keys it won't come up, and will move onto the other word..I therefore have to enter the word twice. It is incredibly frustrating...

Is there anything that I can do to fix this....

It has taken me a while to type this compared to PC typing.

:(

Comments

• mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There shouldn't really be any functionality difference between your desktop keyboard and the laptop keyboard. Did you buy it new? If so I'd return as faulty
  • EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anything that I can do to fix this....

Forget everything you've learned about typing on a normal keyboard, don't try to type as quickly or in the same style because it's just not possible with the design of most laptop keyboards.
  • mogwaimogwai Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I press some keys it won't come up, and will move onto the other word..I therefore have to enter the word twice. It is incredibly frustrating...

There may be a couple of setting that you can change which will makes things easier.

Does your laptop have a 'nipple' mouse on your keyboard (situated besides the G and H keys)? If so then it may have tapping enabled which is simulating a left-mouse click. Disable this in the touchpad settings.

Also you may have tapping enabled on your main laptop touchpad. Seems like this is generally enabled by default these days, even though it's really annoying.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    If you mean you're typing too fast for the machine to keep up, it may be because something is running in the background and slowing things down. An easy way to test this is to boot into Safe Mode (keep tapping F8 as soon as you switch on), open up a blank document and start typing away.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same here, I'm a touch typist and just can't get used to laptop keyboards so have an external KB I plug in if I have to use the laptop at home.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either it is still doing its first file indexing or it is overheating. (leave for an hour or so to let it finish)

Freezing is a often a sign of something like the CPU getting too hot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive never had any problems no matter how fast I type on laptops. ( I can't touch type, but i do go pretty fast doing it my own way)
  • therightdealtherightdeal Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha, I looked into the matter a bit more and apparently a few other people were having issues with this.

I brought it back and got a far better Laptop as well.

:D

Result I say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is often caused by typists who use wrist rests

Properly trained typists, like me, will tell you to keep your wrists up, as I do, to avoid inadvertently touching the mouse pad thingie and RSI.

I've been typing at very high speeds since 1973 in some very demanding environments. Not a moments RSI. Mind you every other part of my body is just about to drop off. Hey Ho. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I brought it back and got a far better Laptop as well.
    Aye?? You got TWO laptops then?
  • therightdealtherightdeal Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No..why would you assume I got two?

Generally if you bring a laptop back that doesn't work properly you don't get to keep it.
    This is often caused by typists who use wrist rests

Properly trained typists, like me, will tell you to keep your wrists up, as I do, to avoid inadvertently touching the mouse pad thingie and RSI.

I've been typing at very high speeds since 1973 in some very demanding environments. Not a moments RSI. Mind you every other part of my body is just about to drop off. Hey Ho.

Wrist rests are for losers. :P Good old fashioned typing can't be beat I say!!
  • chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different keyboard require slightly different typing styles. My desktop PC has a great Microsoft keyboard, but that differs slightly to my Acer laptop keyboard. They both differ to another Acer laptop I have access to, and other laptops/desktop keyboards.

When I first get keyboards, I slow myself down until I'm used to them. I can now switch between keyboards and still type very fast on each of them, despite the keys being in slightly different places, or off by a few mm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Different keyboard require slightly different typing styles.
    With my 35 years plus experience, I can safely say this is complete tosh.

I've used keyboards from straight mechanical, electro mechanical, and some you've never even heard of. So long as they keys are in the QWERTY layout only one typing style is appropriate for all of them.

That is to use the home keys properly, and to keep your wrists up. I have a hand size similar to that of a good blacksmith, too.

Get proper "sight and sound" training.
  • chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobAnt wrote: »
    With my 35 years plus experience, I can safely say this is complete tosh.

I've used keyboards from straight mechanical, electro mechanical, and some you've never even heard of. So long as they keys are in the QWERTY layout only one typing style is appropriate for all of them.

That is to use the home keys properly, and to keep your wrists up. I have a hand size similar to that of a good blacksmith, too.

Get proper "sight and sound" training.
    By different typing styles, I meant getting used to the keys being off a little, until you get used to it. Typing on a netbook it a lot harder than on a desktop PC...yet they both use QWERTY keyboards...