The Hobbit....so Excited

Comments

• Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never been to an IMAX before and am seriously considering booking The Hobbit. Is IMAX a real step up compared to standard multiplexes?
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Never been to an IMAX before and am seriously considering booking The Hobbit. Is IMAX a real step up compared to standard multiplexes?

Yes it is, built differently too I believe.
    The cinematography with the Hobbit will be excellent in an IMAX.
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Trailer looked awesome when I saw it in the cinema :) Can't wait :)
    From what I read The Hobbit will now be 3 (?) films? :confused: I thought 2 films was enough but 3?

It's a good moneyspinner. Why only do 2 when you can have three?
  • Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,728
    Forum Member
    Went to see Skyfall on Friday and saw the trailer for The Hobbit.

I'd seen it before on my computer, but nothing prepares you for seeing it in all it's cinema-size glory.

Can't wait now...

Skyfall was good too, if you like that sort of thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I'm definitely looking forward to it. Loved the trilogy :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    Character posters.

iJqhwCq2l4RgQ.jpg
    i7y7apUggCm9d.jpg
    idtxer5lGNOqq.jpg
    ibd3uLrdFzTiov.jpg
    iRKGwon6ZJUaj.jpg
    isigdaOSvo7P3.jpg
    iok0hlevV0euh.jpg
    iVagv6fhyv4Np.jpg
    ib1YWTRvUdqPjI.jpg
    ip8o344Nw3Zlw.jpg
    iwBFdvS8XNSNz.jpg
    iCEmQjuEkBRd7.jpg
    ivnK1BYFJ0umk.jpg
    ibRF3x1tSHy0d.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/iIiCprdnIoe5M.jpg

And Thorin Oakenshield.

ibyJCwvSp1PuqP.jpg
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saw that Air NZ promo the other day
    lived in NZ for 3 yrs and used to travel at least once a year back to the UK, they updated them regularly and have always been quite witty and funny.
    this is of course is the best one yet :)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to ask, I've never seen 'The Lord Of The Rings before (:o). Is 'The Hobbit' a prequel? Or something different? I don't know whether to see 'TH' first and then watch 'TLOTR' films or vice-versa.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to ask, I've never seen 'The Lord Of The Rings before (:o). Is 'The Hobbit' a prequel? Or something different? I don't know whether to see 'TH' first and then watch 'TLOTR' films or vice-versa.

The Hobbit takes place before LOTR and was written before LOTR
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It would make more sense to watch The Hobbit first. There are some references in TLotR to events in The Hobbit, though, of course, that doesn't spoil TLotR in any way.

If you like The Hobbit, you can go on to TLotR and enjoy it. :)

(Sorry, didn't see previous post before posting :o)
  • AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lock yourself away for a day, turn off your phone, grab some of your favourite snacks & watch LOTR in full.Make sure you watch the extended versions of each film, though.The LOTR films are just incredible :)

I wish that I could go back watch all three films for the first time again.I loved LOTR so much that I joined the fan club & my name appears in the credits at the end of Fellowship.It's there forever :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lock yourself away for a day, turn off your phone, grab some of your favourite snacks & watch LOTR in full.Make sure you watch the extended versions of each film, though.The LOTR films are just incredible :)

I wish that I could go back watch all three films for the first time again.I loved LOTR so much that I joined the fan club & my name appears in the credits at the end of Fellowship.It's there forever :)

This is my favourite thing to do if I am unwell or snowed in. :)

Lucky you being mentioned in the credits. I actually watch the credits, because I love the music so much. Even though have the music on cds. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well - just finished actually reading the Hobbit.
    and going to look forward to watching in full all 3 LotR Extended editions tomorrow :)
    hope to do it. tried to do 3 times before and always fall asleep by film 3 !!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love The Lord of the Rings, but I saw a trailer for The Hobbit the other day and I thought it looked crap :s I didn't notice any of the original cast other than Ian Mcellan either, do they just have small cameos?
    Forum Member
    Love The Lord of the Rings, but I saw a trailer for The Hobbit the other day and I thought it looked crap :s I didn't notice any of the original cast other than Ian Mcellan either, do they just have small cameos?
    The events of The Hobbit occur sixty years before the War of the Rings, so the only returning characters in the main narrative are the Elves and the Wizards and a certain Sorceror. Ian Holm's Bilbo and Frodo will bookend the trilogy with Old Bilbo telling his tale to Frodo.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's worth noting there has been some dilution of the IMAX brand in the last few years. There are only five 'proper' 70mm IMAX screens in the UK-

Bradford National Media Museum,
    Glasgow Science Centre,
    London BFI,
    London Science Museum,
    Odeon Manchester

All the others are digital IMAX screens, which are smaller and probably aren't worth paying a significant premium for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw Skyfall at Odeon Manchester earlier in the week and they now have a digital projector installed (I'm hoping alongside the 70mm one, not replaced it). I have to say the picture was pretty damn good, I would say better than before when a film had been upscaled using DMR. However it was still nowhere near the quality of proper 70mm footage (eg. The Dark Knight Rises).

I'm glad they've done this though as they can now show digital only films (they weren't able to show The Avengers and The Hunger Games), I just hope they still show the 70mm version if available, as I know parts of the new Star Trek film were shot using IMAX cameras.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be fair, The Hobbit was written well before LotR, but this movie is obviously made after - and set up that way. I think you need to see LotR before seeing this, as there is extra stuff in the 3 Hobbit films to pad it out. From my understanding, he wrote the Hobbit without LotR in mind, but the films will obviously not be that way.
    Don't spoil it for yourself, but for those who know...
    i think they have thrown in loads of extra stuff in regards to Gandalf going off and finding out about the Necromancer, who become Sharoman. And obviously they will make more of a story and references to The One Ring, which the Hobbit book didn', as it was a simple magic ring in the book. And Christopher Lee is cast back in it. His character wasn't in The Hobbit - well, that will be part of Gandalf's little wonderings he made in the book when he went off.. Even Frodo is in it - but from the view of older Bilbo telling his tale. Other characters like Leglolass (sp), and Cate Blanchett's character have all had parts written for them. I wouldn't be surprised if Arogan isn't in it somewhere. I half expected the character of The Bard to be changed to be him, which I now know it isn't
    Forum Member
    To be fair, The Hobbit was written well before LotR, but this movie is obviously made after - and set up that way. I think you need to see LotR before seeing this, as there is extra stuff in the 3 Hobbit films to pad it out. From my understanding, he wrote the Hobbit without LotR in mind, but the films will obviously not be that way.
    Don't spoil it for yourself, but for those who know...
    i think they have thrown in loads of extra stuff in regards to Gandalf going off and finding out about the Necromancer, who become Sharoman. And obviously they will make more of a story and references to The One Ring, which the Hobbit book didn', as it was a simple magic ring in the book. And Christopher Lee is cast back in it. His character wasn't in The Hobbit - well, that will be part of Gandalf's little wonderings he made in the book when he went off.. Even Frodo is in it - but from the view of older Bilbo telling his tale. Other characters like Leglolass (so), and Cate Blanchett's character have all had parts written for them. I wouldn't be surprised if Arogan isn't in it somewhere. I half expected the character of Te Bard to be changed to be him
    Just a slight mistake there;
    The Necromancer is a guise that Sauron took on during that period while regaining power before openly declaring himself as Sauron the Great just before the War of the Ring. The Necromancer will be played by Benedict Cumberbatch in terms of mocap and the voice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a slight mistake there;
    The Necromancer is a guise that Sauron took on during that period while regaining power before openly declaring himself as Sauron the Great just before the War of the Ring. The Necromancer will be played by Benedict Cumberbatch in terms of mocap and the voice.
    sorry, my spelling is bad, I meant Sauron, not the way I spelt it! Which I admit looks like Christopher Lee's character!! But Benedict Cumberbatch voices Smaug doesn't he?? And we have Sylvestor McCoy as the Brown wizard featured in LotR, so no doubt there will be a big meeting of Wizard scene discussing the Necromancer/ Sauron
    Forum Member
    sorry, my spelling is bad, I meant Sauron, not the way I spelt it! Which I admit looks like Christopher Lee's character!! But Benedict Cumberbatch voices Smaug doesn't he?? And we have Sylvestor McCoy as the Brown wizard featured in LotR, so no doubt there will be a big meeting of Wizard scene discussing the Necromancer/ Sauron
    Benedict's doing both roles in a similar vein to John Rhys-Davies who played Gimli and voiced Treebeard in The Lord of the Rings.