The Ratings Thread (Part 46)

Comments

• F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for Brits. BBC One crying out for Masterchef now!:D Where the hell is it? I know they have that striped drama in 2 weeks time but there is allot of filler at the moment.

Looks like it will be factual on Monday. Tuesday drama, Wednesday and Thursday masterchef and Friday comedy. After Mayday the striped drama. ITV have got some big dramas turning up now.

We at last have a battle on our hands! :) Could Child of Our Time go sub 2m next week?

Ken
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    I agree that perhaps a brand new writer would create something new to downton.

I hadn't noticed the other writers on series one. I enjoyed it so much then had to give up a few eps in to series two. The last one I watched was at christmas which seemed more in line with the first series but I've watched the comic relief sketch of downton now too and alot of it seems like a director is wating in the background just to say cut! It was a wonderful first series without any knowing or self conciousness but it just became a victim of its own popularity in a sense.

That Comic Relief pastiche was brilliant and exposed the series' flaws perfectly. It's amazing it didn't dent the ratings! ;)

I think, in fairness, DA has also been a victim of ITV's struggle to revive its drama fortunes. Although some other shows have rated respectably, it's the only one with really outstanding viewing figures. Contrast that with ITV's halcyon days, where it had a whole raft of extremely popular series that rode roughshod over the competition - DA's value to ITV now is such that it can't afford to lose it ... which perhaps explains why it's happy to turn a blind eye to the marked decline in quality (especially as most viewers don't seem to care! :eek:;)).
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    The Brits did well but what happened to the BBC's non-existent default 4m?
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shetland in on the 10th & 11th march (SundayMonday) according to the BBC Media Centre's update for the week of 9-15th March.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KMair wrote: »
    BBC One inc HD
    Pointless - 3,75m (23.2%)
    The One Show - 4,2m (18.6%)
    Holiday Hit Squad - 3,38m (14.4%)
    Meet The Izzards - 2,62m (10.9%)

BBC Two
    Hairy Bikers - 1,77m (7.5%)
    Brain Doctors - 1,63m (6.8%)
    The Culture Show - 512k (2.6%)

ITV inc HD exc. +1
    The Chase - 3,42m (22.3%)
    Emmerdale - 7,06m (32.1%)
    Coronation Street - 8,53m (36.6%)
    The Brit Awards - 6,29m (26.8%)

Channel 4 inc HD exc. +1
    Obsessive Complulsive Cleaners - 1,52m (6.5%)
    One Born Every Minute - 1,76m (7.3%)
    Derek - 930k (4.7%)
    8 Out of 10 Cats Uncut - 602k (4.6%)

Channel 5 inc HD exc. +1
    Killers Behind Bars - 875k (3.7%)
    NCIS - 1,51m (6.3%)
    Law & Order: SVU - 831k (4.5%)
    Thanks KMair :)
    The Izzards flopped. Great rating for the Brits, I thought it was a good show overall. It took the mick out of itself enough:D
    OBEM continues to underperform, NCIS posts another good rating.
    SamuelW wrote: »
    The brits done well. Uktvratings say its Best in 7 years. Probably helped by being shown after Coro St whereas last few years it wasn't.
    Plus being out of the flop zone and easier competition than Holby.

Broadchurch launches Monday 4th March at 9pm ITV. It is being trailed to death. It faces part 2 of Mayday. I thought Scott & Bailey would get this slot.

EastEnders airs an extra episode Wed 6th March at 8pm. Fake Britain airs at 8:30pm.

Emmerdale airs at 6:45pm again on Thurs 7th March.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Shetland in on the 10th & 11th march (SundayMonday) according to the BBC Media Centre's update for the week of 9-15th March.

I guess Case Histories will air the week after for three weeks followed by Jonathan Creek then The White Queen.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    Broadchurch launches Monday 4th March at 9pm ITV. It is being trailed to death. It faces part 2 of Mayday. I thought Scott & Bailey would get this slot.

EastEnders airs an extra episode Wed 6th March at 8pm. Fake Britain airs at 8:30pm.

Emmerdale airs at 6:45pm again on Thurs 7th March.

As expected Mayday runs Sunday-Thursday 9pm, with New Tricks in that slot on Friday. A Question of Sport is on Monday at 8.30 for no apparent reason and The Vicar of Dibley, after its late night success at Christmas, is on Friday at 8.30. Bang Goes the Theory is back on Monday at 7.30, The Matt Lucas Awards back on Tuesday at 10.35.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Bbc one seem to give up on wednesdays until its time for the apprentice again
    F1Ken wrote: »
    I know they have that striped drama in 2 weeks time but there is allot of filler at the moment.

Hang on, last Wednesday ITV was just getting over a million, so it's a bit early to start writing Wednesdays off just yet. Especially as two weeks ago they had Africa in that slot. And they certainly make more of an effort on Wednesday, which is always going to be their weakest night without a 'stEnders, than ITV do on a Tuesday.

Meet The Izzards didn't do that well but it was a science programme and maybe it was a bit too much of an uneasy mix for viewers to get a handle on, I guess some would have expected something like Who Do You Think You Are. They have to show X number of hours of science programming a year to put in the annual report. I don't know why any factual programme is written off as filler, either.
    OK for the Brits. But frankly, what else would anyone wanting to watch telly have watched last night if not that?.

Don't want to sound like people's mums here, but they don't have to watch the telly, do they? I thought with today's modern recorders with their silicon chips and such, people shouldn't have to watch live TV for the sake of it.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't want to sound like people's mums here, but they don't have to watch the telly, do they? I thought with today's modern recorders with their silicon chips and such, people shouldn't have to watch live TV for the sake of it.

Exactly. Utopia, Black Mirror and The Following was our viewing last night and a bit of golf before it was snowed off..
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Once they begin showing new episodes of Chucklevision, the channels ratings are bound to rise.

My God, I had no idea that was still going!
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    My God, I had no idea that was still going!

It is - it's on hiatus.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It also has 2 EastEnders episodes for 14th March. I presumed the extra Wednesday episode the previous week was to make up for the one lost by Comic Relief.:confused:
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    No info yet on BBC Media Centre's update for Comic Relief Does Glee Club, which, if going by last year's schedule, would start on 5th March, and run for 10 editions culminating on 15th March.
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    It also has 2 EastEnders episodes for 14th March. I presumed the extra Wednesday episode the previous week was to make up for the one lost by Comic Relief.:confused:

There is no episode down for Friday so maybe the accidentally put 2 eps down for the Thursday.
    Forum Member
    There is no episode down for Friday so maybe the accidentally put 2 eps down for the Thursday.

Comic Relief is on the Friday.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    Brits peaked with 7.5 million during the performance of One Direction.

more shameless itv promotion for a bbc show :eek: cant believe there have been no protests yet!
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 recorded some excellent late night shares for their crime dramas yesterday:

21:00 NCIS: 1.67m (7.0%)
    22:00 Law & Order: Special Victims Unit: 886k (4.9%)
    22:55 CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: 725k (7.7%)
    3rd most watched in timeslot
    23:55 CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: 492k (9.9%)
    most watched programme in timeslot
    00:50 True Crimes: First 72 Hours: 302k (9.3%)
    2nd most watched in timeslot

figures are for C5 Total and include +1
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    more shameless itv promotion for a bbc show :eek: cant believe there have been no protests yet!

It's also promotion for a Cowell-a-thon-produced act. :p
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    It's had its day and no doubt when Noel Edmonds realises this, DOND will go. Why not have a more modern version of 15 to 1? DOND is a no skill show that Noel has tried to turn into an LE pantomime to remind him of his glory days and has backfired.

Agree with every word, four needs to beef up its late afternoon schedule, 15-1 could be a hit again.

His crinkley bottom is we saggy.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on, last Wednesday ITV was just getting over a million, so it's a bit early to start writing Wednesdays off just yet. Especially as two weeks ago they had Africa in that slot. And they certainly make more of an effort on Wednesday, which is always going to be their weakest night without a 'stEnders, than ITV do on a Tuesday.

Meet The Izzards didn't do that well but it was a science programme and maybe it was a bit too much of an uneasy mix for viewers to get a handle on, I guess some would have expected something like Who Do You Think You Are. They have to show X number of hours of science programming a year to put in the annual report. I don't know why any factual programme is written off as filler, either.

I watched it and enjoyed it. My comment was harsh but it is filler really and I have nothing against it. I would say Masterchef is a good filler program as well. It fills multiple 9pm slots and pulls a decent audience. There need to be more science on BBC One and not dumbed down.

Your comment on BBC One Wed and ITV Tue is correct. But I would like to see a return of something like Holiday or Tomorrows world. to go at 8pm. I think they could do with another returning series. I think Holiday and TW would work well in a 1hr format at 8pm. Watchdog did really well there as well. Maybe a new soapy returning drama like holby or Waterloo road could go there for 12 weeks of the year.

There are no ITV soaps to contend with at 8pm Wednesday so it's a slot I would like to see used to it's full potential. I've always believed that Wednesday 8pm should be casualty's slot. But with holby on Tuesday maybe it would be an overload. And the BBC's inability to find a successful new Saturday night program blows my idea right out of the water.

Ken
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV proposing changes to regional programming: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/c3-c5-obligations/annexes/itvs-proposals.pdf

In summary:

ITV Regions - extended from 9 to 16
    18:00 to 18:20 - ITV Regional
    18:20 to 18:30 - 'other material'
    18:30 to 19:00 - ITV News

Nations
    18:00 to 18:30 - ITV Regional
    18:30 to 20:00 - ITV News
    In the English regions (not including ITV Border) the 20 minutes of regional news and weather at 6pm would represent the element of our output that would be calculated to contribute towards meeting licence obligations. However, we are planning a structure that preserves a half hour programme regionally presented but in which the remaining 10 minutes of material could come from outside the region. This would not necessarily be a rigid ten minutes at the end of the programme. Where the ten minutes is deployed would be decided on the day by the programme makers.

So, for instance, in the running order there may be some mixing of purely local content and content from further afield. A strong investigative consumer story made in another region might for instance run at story five in the running order and be followed by some further purely local news. The programme makers will be aiming to create a coherent whole that viewers want to watch rather than make 20 minutes of local news plus 10 minutes of ‘other material’. We envisage providing 20 minutes of regulated local news programming but mixing it appropriately within a 30 minute ‘wrapper’ that includes non-regulated material from further afield. We have piloted various versions and we are sure that mixing material in the manner suggested produces the strongest consumer proposition.

We anticipate much of the ‘out of area’ material will be drawn from items that have already been commissioned for primary use elsewhere but on some occasions there may be specially commissioned material. The detailed mechanisms have yet to be laid down but we will create a system in which appropriate stories – stories that have relevance, resonance and application – can be drawn from one region for use in another.

For example, a story about a head teacher in the south preventing parents taking children on holiday in term time will have meaning elsewhere. A pub that introduced smoking machines – fake cigarettes that are non-toxic and legal – provided a core, in one of our pilots, for a piece about the reaction of publicans and customers elsewhere.

So while the out of area material will be drawn from beyond the region it will be adapted to interest a local audience.

If that 'other material' is completely standalone from the main Regional programme, then that is a mess waiting to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Channel 5 recorded some excellent late night shares for their crime dramas yesterday:

21:00 NCIS: 1.67m (7.0%)
    22:00 Law & Order: Special Victims Unit: 886k (4.9%)
    22:55 CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: 725k (7.7%)
    3rd most watched in timeslot
    23:55 CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: 492k (9.9%)
    most watched programme in timeslot
    00:50 True Crimes: First 72 Hours: 302k (9.3%)
    2nd most watched in timeslot

figures are for C5 Total and include +1
    Wow they are really good!
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Nations
    18:00 to 18:30 - ITV Regional
    18:30 to 20:00 :eek:- ITV News

Wot no Emmerdale or Corrie in Wales, Scotland or Norn Iron. Quick to the barricades. :D
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    If that 'other material' is completely standalone from the main Regional programme, then that is a mess waiting to happen.
    Thats just what it isnt. It sounds like the US local news show format which often includes non local elements.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone have ratings excluding +1 for Extraordinary People (7pm), CSI (10:55pm & 11:55pm) on Channel 5 yesterday? Thanks :)
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Wot no Emmerdale or Corrie in Wales, Scotland or Norn Iron. Quick to the barricades. :D

Of course I mean 19:00 so you can still watch Emmerdale. ;)
This discussion has been closed.