Options

sky offer half price movies

2»

Comments

• Options
    NKM2010NKM2010 Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I currently have the movies so what's in it for me :confused:

everyone else who hasn't got it gets it half price for a while and i still have to pay full

that doesn't seem fair

can i call and play on this fact :confused:
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    What's not remotely possible, a streaming service providing high quality HD?

Netflix stream 1080p, providing you have a good connection the PQ can surpass that of Sky on certain content.
    I have no experience of Netflix HD but I find it hard to believe (given the bit rates of BluRays) than ANY streaming service can come remotely close. My experience of streaming with Lovefilm has been pretty dire!

It took me no time at all to find the "Netflix HD really isn't as good it says it is" link I posted earlier either! - but perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised at some point the future.

It wasn't - at all - what this thread was about until people diverted it!
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to add atm if you take the Sky movies half price deal via Quidco you get £95 cashback too. (Cashback is never guaranteed and you should not make a purchase solely based on cashback offers).
    It might be handy for anyone looking to get the half price movies.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    I have no experience of Netflix HD but I find it hard to believe (given the bit rates of BluRays) than ANY streaming service can come remotely close. My experience of streaming with Lovefilm has been pretty dire!

It took me no time at all to find the "Netflix HD really isn't as good it says it is" link I posted earlier either! - but perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised at some point the future.

It wasn't - at all - what this thread was about until people diverted it!
    Maybe those who aren't impressed are only watching HD not super HD as Netflix uses adaptive streaming to adjust dynamically the video quality based on bandwidth, if the bandwidth is not up to it Netflix will select either SD/HD.

Super HD also uses less compression, a typical movie is 6Gb+, movies on sky are around 3Gb-4Gb, so there's less compression artifacts on screen.

I have both Netflix and Sky movies and while I find both good value ( movies are £8 as I have sports) there are times when one out performs the other in the PQ stakes.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NKM2010 wrote: »

everyone else who hasn't got it gets it half price for a while and i still have to pay full

that doesn't seem fair

Well as you are not tied into a contract with Movies, simply phone up and cancel. Then sign up to the offer, it's really not that hard. And you should never pay full price for movies, as there is always offers on.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing that annoys me with this is that, even though I already have EE+, I'd still have to pay an extra £5.25 to get the movies in HD... dammit...
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me with this is that, even though I already have EE+, I'd still have to pay an extra £5.25 to get the movies in HD... dammit...

Well, as many wanted to pay less for HD if they didn't have Movies/Sports, that is the downside if you then upgrade.

Of course, they could have just ignored everyone, and kept charging full price for HD even if you only had the Entertainment pack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, as many wanted to pay less for HD if they didn't have Movies/Sports, that is the downside if you then upgrade.

Of course, they could have just ignored everyone, and kept charging full price for HD even if you only had the Entertainment pack.

Ah, you see I didn't know about that. I only got Sky back earlier this year, hadn't had it since 2006 so missed that HD issue... ta!
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can be irritating that they don't mention that taking up a new offer would nullify your old one.

Ie - you can't have 25% off movies if you've already got a discount on Sports unless its a grouped offer
  • Options
    teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive just signed up £8 a month for the movies is a great thing, especially over christmas, i will just give them 31 days notice in month five :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    It can be irritating that they don't mention that taking up a new offer would nullify your old one.

Ie - you can't have 25% off movies if you've already got a discount on Sports unless its a grouped offer

I've not had a chance to phone them yet to check but I was wondering if it would cancel my free EE+ deal. I've heard conflicting stories about Sky offers either stacking up or cancelling other offers...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I've not had a chance to phone them yet to check but I was wondering if it would cancel my free EE+ deal. I've heard conflicting stories about Sky offers either stacking up or cancelling other offers...

It depends which advisor you get. I'm not entirely sure what the official line is
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they can combine offers, I was told that when I cancelled my Sports/Movies offer, I did tell them if you can keep it at the same price, I would keep it. Only to be told that they couldn't do anything when an offer was already on your account, and you would have to wait for it to end.

Saying that, this is an offer which seems open to anyone, I guess the best way to try it, is via your online account, try it and see if it works.
  • Options
    Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NKM2010 wrote: »

that doesn't seem fair

Why does it not seem fair if you you choose to pay the full price?

They will happily charge you the full price as long as you are happy to pay for it. Those who are not happy to pay the full price either get discount or get switched off.

So you need to decide if you can live without Sky, if you can, just give them a ring to cancel and I have no doubt they will also offer you some sort of discount especially if you have been with them for a while.
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The offer is a available to new and existing customers (but who dont currently have the movies service).

Knew there would be a catch .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had an email back from Sky which says if you are on any existing discount taking the movies would wipe that discount