Options

Bridesmaids

Comments

• Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Booty luv wrote: »
    Megan is by far the best character so many good scenes with her, I like the one where she is driving by with the dogs in the car and the scene during the credits had me in stitches.

Some of the Megan scenes were made funnier by the fact that the Air Marshall was her real life husband.
  • Options
    planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Extremely funny in places :D but some gags were absolutely milked to death :yawn: the speeches scene for example.

Couldn't work out the point of Matt Lucas and his "sister" being in the film :confused:

Definitely worth seeing for the "wedding shop" and "provoke a cop" scenes alone :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I was expecting it to be funny but i didn't think it would be that funny! Had me crying with laughter in several scenes. Best comedy i have seen in ages.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I loved it, I found Kristen Wiig such a likeable lead when usually its all the support characters in these sort of movies that shine, I felt while they did (particularly the actress who played Megan of course) Kristen was the best to watch.

The running into the street in her wedding dress and then "It's happening... it's happening... it's happened!" I couldn't stop laughing, I had tears down my face at that point.
  • Options
    KarmaChameleonKarmaChameleon Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how anyone could not like this! The whole cinema was in fits of laughter when I saw it today. I don't really laugh out loud at a lot of things but this had me crying in some parts. Really, really funny and better than the Hangover, for me (although I loved that too).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how anyone could not like this! The whole cinema was in fits of laughter when I saw it today. I don't really laugh out loud at a lot of things but this had me crying in some parts. Really, really funny and better than the Hangover, for me (although I loved that too).

I didn't think it was bad or anything, but I didn't laugh a whole lot. I definitely wouldn't watch it again though.
  • Options
    scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed this movie, although I had hyped it up so much that I over hyped it!

I thought it took about 20 minutes to really get going but some scenes in particular will hilarious!

The scene when they were trying to get the cops attention had me howling & the 'it's like lava' phrase was funny. There were also some hysterical parts whilst they were on the plane.

There were also some very 'sad' scenes that probably weren't expected or funny but essential non the less. The cupcake she makes & eats for herself & the morning after the night before with the cop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i enjoyed it, but reviews i had read made me expect more than i got... was a bit slow in places and as someone as said previous... some scenes milked to death......

nice to see chris o dowd get some screen time though...
  • Options
    loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i loved it and genuinely laughed out loud a lot of times but i didn't find the speech scene funny and the reckless driving scene was only slightly amusing anyone else think that? but the rest was great.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Hands down the funniest film i've ever seen at the cinema. I genuinely had tears running down my face :D

I'll definately be going to see it again. It's seemed to be one of those films where there are so many little jokes it's impossible to catch them all first time around.

So many favourite parts. The speech, the wedding dress shop, the plane, the breakdown... it was really well written. The entire cinema were howling, something i've never witnessed before. It was a fantastic atmosphere.

I loved that women sat next to Annie on the place. She reminded me a bit of Kathy Najimy. 'I had a dream the plane went down... you were in it' :D
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Saw it on Tuesday and loved it !! me and my mate laughed more or less all the way through it, unlike the god awful Hangover 2, which was dire and didn't raise a titter !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabegy wrote: »
    Saw it on Tuesday and loved it !! me and my mate laughed more or less all the way through it, unlike the god awful Hangover 2, which was dire and didn't raise a titter !

If felt the exact opposite. What you thought of Hangover 2, I thought of Bridesmaids.

One of the reasons I didn't like it might have been that I'm male; maybe it's more directed at females, despite being directed and produced by guys?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought the speeches scene was HILARIOUS. one of the funniest! this film had me in tears, really, really funny.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    If felt the exact opposite. What you thought of Hangover 2, I thought of Bridesmaids.

One of the reasons I didn't like it might have been that I'm male; maybe it's more directed at females, despite being directed and produced by guys?

But it was written by Kristen Wiig (Annie), so it probably is more geared towards women but in saying that I was in a cinema with plenty blokes around and they all loved it too.
  • Options
    KarmaChameleonKarmaChameleon Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it was written by Kristen Wiig (Annie), so it probably is more geared towards women but in saying that I was in a cinema with plenty blokes around and they all loved it too.

The guys next to me were laughing louder than anyone else in the cinema!
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want to watch this! :)
  • Options
    i_am_a_gremlini_am_a_gremlin Posts: 3,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going at 7pm to see it... Can't wait :D

Got my Tena Lady on in anticipation :D
  • Options
    Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bridesmaids.

This film almost entirely depends on the performance of Kirsten Wiig. Not only did she co-write it, but she is in practically every scene. Luckily, she's brilliant.

Most of the movie is a battle between her and her best friends new friend, as the best friend is on the road to marriage. A lot of one-upmanship takes place, particularly at the engagement party, where the first moments of the cringe comedy that follows takes place. Kirsten, playing Annie does a wonderful job throughout the whole film. She reminds me of a younger Felicity Huffman from Desperate Housewives, not just in the way she looks, but some of her mannerisms too. She really does carry the movie, and her scenes on the plane to Vegas are probably the films highlight.

The film isn't perfect. It's been compared to The Hangover by a lot of people, and in that comparison it falls short. It's not funny the whole way through. The Hangover would throw jokes at you every minute, this opts not to do that, mainly due to the storyline involving Annie and A Cop She Ends Up With. While it does have it's moments (another highlight when she tries to get him to talk to her by doing illegal things whilst driving), it takes a lot of the pace out of the film in terms of laughs. More Hangover comparisons lie in their take on Alan, with Megan, who isn't anywhere near as funny as Alan, and also not as funny as the writers were hoping for, I feel.

Even though the movie is quite long for a comedy at over two hours, a few of the characters don't get developed much, and a couple of the bridesmaids don't really get a look in, but the central pairing/war of Helen and Annie is excellently played.

Still, when the jokes do come, the movie is excellent. Largely thanks to Kirsten's performance, the comedy scenes snowball, getting more and more ridiculous, and it's just a shame that when they are over, you may be waiting 15 minutes or so for the next one. Some great characters are created here though, and no doubt due to it's success a sequel will be announced, which I think could be fun. It's been a good year for Wiig, film wise, with her excellent role in Paul as well.
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this yesterday - good movie, but 20 minutes too long, with a bit of judicious editing (starting with the speeches and the provoking-the-cop scenes) this would've been gold. No comedy movie should be over 90 minutes long - fact.:)
  • Options
    Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a guy, I did my 'duty' by watching this.

I was in TEARS it was so funny. Seriously. I haven't laughed so much at a movie for a long time. The wedding shop scene, i...just...died.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr.Lavigne wrote: »
    Even though the movie is quite long for a comedy at over two hours, a few of the characters don't get developed much, and a couple of the bridesmaids don't really get a look in, but the central pairing/war of Helen and Annie is excellently played.

That's my only real complaint, I would've liked to see a little more of some of the bridesmaids and perhaps some parts could have been a little shorter to allow for this. I wonder how much of this film was actually cut as I saw quite a few lines/scenes from the trailers which were missing from the film.

I literally never seen an audience laugh quite so much at a film and rightly so since it was hilarious. The entire film was brilliant but I found the whole plane scene particularly hysterical
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    . the film has the single best use of the 'C' word since Kick-ass

This is so true - I don't like the word but the delivery of that line was superb and I couldn't stop laughing.
  • Options
    PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it today with two of my friends and we laughed almost the whole way through. Loved Megan, thanks for the info about her real life husband being the air marshall. Looking forward to number 2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    I went to see this on the weekend, the experience was quite weird (not the film but the cinema experience) I walking into the screening and it was quite full, but as I was walking looking for a seat I notice that there was not one fella apart from myself in the screen. I have never had that happen before - it felt like I snuck into a women only film :)

The film itself wasn't a bad film, it was one of the better comedies of recent releases. But I did feel that they milked some jokes beyond the point of funniness, so it ended up being not funny and I just felt it needed to move on. Also felt that the style of comedy was that cringe comedy which personally I don't find extremely funny. I quite like Wiig think she is pretty good, but well before I knew she wrote it I was thinking that she wrote it, it just felt like one of those I wrote a film for me to star in type films, if anyone understands what I mean then I will give you a cookie :)

As I said it is not a bad film, and fairly good comedy, just not brilliant and probably won't be getting it on DVD anytime soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    just got back from seeing it. i'm a guy and i loved it. much much funnier than the hangover films. the film has the single best use of the 'C' word since Kick-ass. the scene on the airplane had me in stitches laughing.

Agree with all of this (apart from the being a guy bit). It really is worth watching in the cinema rather than waiting to watch it at home, because the sound of a cinema full of people laughing and even clapping just added to the atomosphere. :)

I do agree that Matt Lucas and his sister were a bit extraneous - not exactly bad, but not part of the plot and not wildly funny.

I ended up totally in love with Chris O' Dowd's cop, and very luckily I have a similar one at home. :)
  • Options
    j'aimelatelej'aimelatele Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    went to see this film last night.... I haven't laughed so much throughout a film in a long time...1 or 2 scenes could have been slightly shorter but it was hilarious... I giggled remembering driving back home!!
    Best supporting character has to be Megan and her great lines....
    Really recommend it ...if you fancy a good laugh and a light hearted moment..