Options

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - Did I dream this "missing" scene?

peonpeon Posts: 1,671
Forum Member
✭✭✭
okay, i have two copies of Temple of Doom on DVD, one about ten year old, the other a recent four-disk box set.

at the beginning, when Indiana is negotiating with the Chinese gangster in the nightclub, I'm sure I remember a scene where one of the sons slips the powder poison into Indy's glass when he's not looking, then glances around to make sure nobody has seen him do it.

neither of my copies has this scene? did I imagine it? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    OK I grew up with these films, yet amazingly my memory isn't so great with this scene. My personal feeling is that no, you don't get this scene in the film. You find out the drink is poisoned when Indy does; when the gangsters all start laughing right after he's downed it.

Anyone else have better memory than me?
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the uncut heart version and pretty sure even that one had no powder poison scene.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think TV broadcasts have more rights to directors cuts. Which is odd but what makes me think so.....

A few months ago I was watching Robin Hood Prince of Thieves on Channel 5.

Right at the beginning at the Arm chopping scene there was a line of dialogue I'd never heard before. "For the glory of Allah" or words to that effect. Just before the executioner denies a prisoner of his hand.

I've never seen it in previous TV, on Video, on the original DVD, on the DVD directors cut. I'm baffled as to why it wasn't included.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched my Region 1 dvd and it definitely does not have that scene in, all you see is the son placing the glass onto the turntable.

Also checked my Region 1 SE of Prince of Thieves and one of the guards says to the guy who gets his hand chopped off "Show them the courage of Allah".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    The poison powder rings a bell with me too...
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    It's in the script;
    Indy leans forward to look at the gold coins -- so intently that
    he fails to notice Kao Kan spilling some powder into Indy's cham-
    pagne glass!

Script

It's a huge coincidence that you know of that bit of the scene if you've not seen the script before, and it wasn't at some point filmed. Can only assume that it was.

It's also not one of the deleted scenes from the movie that were released on the DVD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    yh it happens..I love this one , and the guy put powder in Indys glass and he drinks it..this is what makes him drowsy etc..then the antidote blue liquid gets lost and they try to find it, amongst all the diamonds thats falls over..the singer girl trys to get and and chaos ensues :S Tis funny